Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Prime rib eyes

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I posted this over on the What are you doing thread, but in retrospect, decided it deserved a thread all of its own.

Was wanting to throw a party, but weather was seeming shifty. After I got the lawn mowed and then it rained, I thought it was all clear, so I texted some friends and then headed out to Costco this afternoon. King of Prussia on a normal Saturday is just batshit crazy, but somehow the storms had managed to get the traffic signal at the intersection before the KOP Costco stuck. Everyone finally figured that out and took turns like civilized human beings. That was amazing...
Since this was a last minute thing, I outsourced the sides and desserts. The main feature was going to be Prime ribeyes, so really, who cares about the rest, right?

Sliced it up to steaks, half for tonight and half for the freezer. Got the XL to smoking temps with KJ Big Block lump and some oak and pecan chunks. Set it up with the AR and put  them on.

And then another storm cell moved in. Holy crap it rained. We had a friggin' river in the back yard. I ran out and temped them a couple times during the downpour, but thankfully, it moved out before they were ready to sear.

Once they got to around 120*-ish, moved them over to the friggin hot Hasty Bake

Seared, flipped, seared, etc.

Since we were feeding a crowd, and some were finished somewhere between rare and medium, I sliced the whole mess up and let the masses pick what they wanted

And then the swarming...

And then, it all started falling apart...

And then there was rum...

And then, my buddy ended up with my kid's Ikea posable dude. And a Nerf dart...

And then, I quit taking pics...

Good times, good food, good peeps.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Now that is the way to enjoy Sat night.  Most eggcellent across the board.  A true banquet. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice treat for your friends.  I see you keep to your maturity level. =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    You had me at Artisian Brownie Trio!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Looks like an awesome night, and great looking steaks! 

How many servings would you say that whole hunk of prime ribeye would get you?
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    bgebrent said:
    Nice treat for your friends.  I see you keep to your maturity level. =)

Clearly you meant lack thereof.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Although I love Costco prime beef, what they do to pre-sliced rib eyes is a travesty. Every one they sell has the cap cut off, rolled and tied, and sold separately. I just can't do that. I have, in the past, when having guests over, bought a whole sub-primal and cut is down. But for just the two of us, I like buying the pre-sliced steaks. It doesn't fill up our freezer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Looks GREAT!!! Last night I egged prime New York strips from COSTCO and as usual they were wonderful!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    dannys said:
    Although I love Costco prime beef, what they do to pre-sliced rib eyes is a travesty. Every one they sell has the cap cut off, rolled and tied, and sold separately.
    Yeah, and they blade tenderize them.  Why they do that with prime grade beef is beyond me.  Buying the whole thing and slicing it yourself is the way to go!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Weird. Didn’t hear my phone ring and just checked my texts. Nothing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    dannys said:
    Although I love Costco prime beef, what they do to pre-sliced rib eyes is a travesty. Every one they sell has the cap cut off, rolled and tied, and sold separately.
    Yeah, and they blade tenderize them.  Why they do that with prime grade beef is beyond me.  Buying the whole thing and slicing it yourself is the way to go!!
    I plan to get a subprimal as soon as my freezer space allows. Do you merely flag down a meat guy and ask, or call ahead? Also what kind of cost savings do you receive?

And speaking of ribeyes purchased whole is the cap still already cut off? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited August 2018
    @RRP, The primals are cryovaced from the supplier. They have them all the time.
    They are usually around 15#. The cap is still attached.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • They are in the meat case.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    RRP said:
    dannys said:
    I plan to get a subprimal as soon as my freezer space allows. Do you merely flag down a meat guy and ask, or call ahead? Also what kind of cost savings do you receive?

And speaking of ribeyes purchased whole is the cap still already cut off? 
    You just go there and grab one out of the case that is the size you want and looks good. You don't need to ask, you just need to pay.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    caliking said:
    Weird. Didn’t hear my phone ring and just checked my texts. Nothing. 
    Since it was last minute, I assumed you wouldn't have been able to make it in time. I won't make that mistake again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    These are excellent.   The full subprimals are not blade tenderized - they only do that to the individual steaks. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • DMW
    GoooDawgs said:
    These are excellent.   The full subprimals are not blade tenderized - they only do that to the individual steaks. 
    They really are. The only seasoning on those was salt, pepper, and oak/pecan smoke. The flavor was incredible. I'll take ribeye  over filet any day of the week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Nice cook, good food, good drinks, good friends... right there is what life is all about! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Sea2Ski said:
    Nice cook, good food, good drinks, good friends... right there is what life is all about! 
    Don’t forget the Nerf wiener. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I’d like to cut my own, but the prime strip loin I did this with looked more like select grade and then I was stuck with 14 pounds of it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Very nicely done, Dwayne
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Looks like an Eggcellent Evening. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I don't like my guests well enough to serve them Prime steak. They'll get Choice and like it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This is one of my favorite posts, ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Freaking awesome event!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DMW
    YukonRon said:
    This is one of my favorite posts, ever.
    Thanks Ron, that means heaps coming from you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA