Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: life is over, wife’s putting me on a diet: OT

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    What the heck do doctors know??
    In your line of work, can you tell if someone’s plant based or full meativore?
    Sometimes. Amazing what your stool says about you. 

Almost always know who’s vegan though. They usually can’t keep it a secret for more than 53 seconds after meeting you. 
    I wonder if Vegan cross-fitters are quiet, too conflicted about what to talk about first?
    :rofl:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    jeffwit said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    Why plant based? I'm not a doctor, but i'm also not an idiot. I'll save my diet thoughts for now, but i'm highly opposed to this doctors thoughts.
    Pretty much anything a Doctor knows you can learn on your own in about three minutes on Google.  This is how I know that I'm dying of an extremely rare condition known as thirdlegitis. 
    Yup. People come in my office all the time knowing more than I do. 
    My students tell me this all the time, especially when they’re begging for more points on an exam.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    For the posters who have "lost 30lb in three weeks" and nine lbs in a week, I suggest doing a little research on what losing 'real' weight is. The weight you have lost is nothing more than water. it ain't fat. As for how much weight one should safely lose, it is no more than two lbs a week, and probably closer to one lb a week. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    chipman said:
    For the posters who have "lost 30lb in three weeks" and nine lbs in a week, I suggest doing a little research on what losing 'real' weight is. The weight you have lost is nothing more than water. it ain't fat. As for how much weight one should safely lose, it is no more than two lbs a week, and probably closer to one lb a week. 
    I don't have a clue so don't bust my chops. Do people really carry around 30lbs of excess water weight? I get it, I know our bodies are mostly water but do people really shed 30lbs of water weight? I don't buy that people are walking around that bloated all the time.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I’m pretty convinced that mine is excess beer weight. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I know i have a ton of bloat, too much beer

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2018
    I can see someone carrying around maybe 5-10lbs of excess water weight but I find it hard to believe 30lbs. That seems like an excuse that someone who is fat just doesn't want to say it.  "It's excess water weight" no you are just Obese, deal with it =)   I can say that too because I could stand to lose 50 or so.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    chipman said:
    I don't have a clue so don't bust my chops. Do people really carry around 30lbs of excess water weight? I get it, I know our bodies are mostly water but do people really shed 30lbs of water weight? I don't buy that people are walking around that bloated all the time.

He's also losing muscle mass, which weighs more than fat. So water + muscle + some actual fat loss can add up to pretty significant "gains". You can't prevent muscle loss during a calorie deficit unfortunately, and some diets are especially vulnerable to losing the wrong kind of weight. Non-High protein + Low Carb diets are one of them. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • chipman
    No chop busting here. It's just that losing weight is mostly calorie deficit by diet and exercise. I've lost about 100lb in a year and a half that way. A lb equals 3,500 calories. In order to lose a lb week you have to have 500 calorie a day deficit. You can figure out how many calories you need by using one of the BMR calculators found on line. I lost my weight mostly by counting calories using the "loseit" phone app. But more simply I just cut out deserts, red meat, and most things white, but most important I exercised. First walking, then doing more strenuous workouts  After awhile it becomes second nature. Good luck.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    SonVolt said:
    chipman said:

He's also losing muscle mass, which weighs more than fat. So water + muscle + some actual fat loss can add up to pretty significant "gains". You can't prevent muscle loss during a calorie deficit unfortunately, and some diets are especially vulnerable to losing the wrong kind of weight. Non-High protein + Low Carb diets are one of them. 

Right. This was more my point. There is no way its all water weight. I've never heard of anyone other than women who have recently had a baby losing that much water weight and even then, not 30lbs. I would think depending on the diet and the exercise or lack thereof it would be a lot of water weight first but then after than depending on the diet you would either be attacking the muscle mass or the fat. Something like Keto would I think probably prevent it from being such a drastic loss of muscle given the amount of healthy fats and protein that one is taking in. So after a few weeks I would think on a Keto diet you would start to attack the excess belly fat. I agree with @chipman though. Its probably not healthy to lose more than at most 2-5lbs a week after the initial reduction in excess water weight.

• chipman said:
    @chipman Yes, your body will release stored water when you start something like that. Yes, you will continue to lose about 1-2 lbs of fat a week if you consistently keep at it afterwards. The second 10 is always harder than the first 20 if all you're doing is looking at a scale. 

My kit in Afghanistan weighed a little over 30lbs and I had to walk around with it all day long. Removing it at the end of the day made me feel like I could do anything. Just getting that initial weight off of people helps most overweight people just be able to exercise so they're not putting that extra strain on their joints. 

I've dropped 30lbs this month and only about 10 of it was actual fat. Still 30 lbs less that I have to walk around with all day. Gives you more energy by default, which allows you to do more things and continue calorie burning.

Nobody's claiming they have lost 30 lbs of fat. 30 lbs of anything all day is f*cking heavy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2018
    This thread has me interested in trying Keto. My problem is that I love, and I mean love breads. We eat pizza every friday with the kiddos and no one in my family is about to start making "pizzas" on Mushrooms. That would be my one downfall other than not eating potatoes which I also love. What good is eating butter and cheese if there isn't any bread to go with them???

• SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    Something like Keto would I think probably prevent it from being such a drastic loss of muscle given the amount of healthy fats and protein that one is taking in. 

Keto is actually not high protein. It's high-fat low-carb which isn't the best diet for maintaining muscle mass.  Many bodybuilders use Atkins style diets to maintain muscle during cuts, which is high-protein low-carb. 

Either way, counting calories sucks and gets old fast if you're not eating a typical bodybuilder diet of chicken breast and brown rice every day. Trying to measure calories with sauces and other foods people typically eat is, not, easy or sustainable.  This is where a Keto or high-protein diet makes it easier...  it's really hard to eat 3,000 calories a day (or whatever your number is) of meat and non-starchy vegetables.  So you end up losing weight by calorie deficit regardless, without counting calories. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • chipman
    This thread has me interested in trying Keto. My problem is that I love, and I mean love breads. We eat pizza every friday with the kiddos and no one in my family is about to start making "pizzas" on Mushrooms. That would be my one downfall other than not eating potatoes which I also love. What good is eating butter and cheese if there isn't any bread to go with them???
    There are pizza crusts made from cauliflower. They are expensive but surprisingly tasty.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt said:
    Something like Keto would I think probably prevent it from being such a drastic loss of muscle given the amount of healthy fats and protein that one is taking in. 

Keto is actually not high protein. It's high-fat low-carb which isn't the best diet for maintaining muscle mass.  Many bodybuilders use Atkins style diets to maintain muscle during cuts, which is high-protein low-carb. 
    @sonvolt I've been doing it and counting my macros and I think I'm actually eating more protein than I usually did before...at least a very close amount. It's not like Atkins where you can eat a whole chicken in a sitting but it's not restrictive on protein, especially if you incorporate Intermittent Fasting in the morning and just have coffee. 

For mine I'm just not supposed to go over 105g of protein every day. For two meals, that's a bunch of protein. If I go much over that, your body will turn protein into glucose, which takes you out of ketosis and your body won't use fat as a fuel source, yada yada. 

Most days I feel like I have to find a can of tuna or something just to make sure I have enough.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    chipman said:
    There are pizza crusts made from cauliflower. They are expensive but surprisingly tasty.

I dunno if I could do that. I wonder how much it would hurt if I kept pizza night and only ate carbs on that 1 occasion.

• SonVolt
    chipman said:

I dunno if I could do that. I wonder how much it would hurt if I kept pizza night and only ate carbs on that 1 occasion.

That's called a cheat day. 1 cheat day a week isn't going to set you that far back IMO. It's better than nothing. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    keto pizza is made with a meat crust =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    heres one with a prosciutto crust

Image result for prosciutto horseradish fishlessman

fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2018
    SonVolt said:
    chipman said:

That's called a cheat day. 1 cheat day a week isn't going to set you that far back IMO. It's better than nothing. 

I think I could do pretty good at it if I could just have that 1 cheat meal. I don't need the whole day even to pig out on donuts and crap. Just the 1 meal and mainly its because my kiddos love making pizzas on the egg with Dad. The rest of the week I could manage it I think. May have to start this in a week or 2. I think I might start slowly taking things away the rest of the month and go whole hog in September.

• chipman
    I could never do that one cheat day a week. For me that would be starting down a road I couldn't turn back from. Some people can, and more power to them
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I’ve been mountain biking a lot less the past year because of kid #2 coming along and kid #1 having more going on yet I’ve lost 20lbs the past 10 months or so, down to 185-190 from the 205-215 range.  Part of it was my choice of replenished calories after big rides because I felt I deserved it, now I am more careful about my choices because I know I’m not burning the same as I was before on a weekly basis.  Another thing I do is most days I just get a juice for breakfast, eat healthy for lunch and keep calories reasonable then I try and grill for dinner during the week.  If I do get a big breakfast then I’ll get a juice for lunch.  

Before kids and even with only 1 kid we ate out often which always included a few IPAs for me.  Now I still have my beers but eat better.  Eating better (less calories in but also more protein over carbs) has a significantly quicker affect on my weight than exercising a bunch.  I just keep it reasonable which prevents me from burning out and going back to a breakfast burrito for breakfast, burger and fries for lunch and pizza for dinner type days.  I still eat a lot of good stuff daily, I just toned it down so I’m not being a glutton.

I’d rather have a beer or 4 so I don’t snack on junk between meals at all, haven’t taken a doughnut or other food left out for all at the office in well over a year.  I still mountain bike once a week or so but not like I was so I’ve lost some
    leg muscle which weighs a bit but really it’s just the food and proportion choices that have dropped the pounds.  Chasing a soon to be 3 year old and 9 month old around helps too, no time to sit around at home.

Good luck and hopefully you can find your balance of good, as in healthy, meals and the not so good for you meals that taste so dang great.  If you try to be too strict it can be a turnoff and send you back to square one, having things to look forward to helps a lot.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    the cool thing about Keto at least the very brief info that I read is that you can keep the cheeses and butter. So I could still eat say Chicken parm as long as there isn't any pasta (which wont bother me),use very little tomato sauce, and grill the chicken instead of fry it.

• fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    chipman said:

I think I could do pretty good at it if I could just have that 1 cheat meal. I don't need the whole day even to pig out on donuts and crap. Just the 1 meal and mainly its because my kiddos love making pizzas on the egg with Dad. The rest of the week I could manage it I think. May have to start this in a week or 2. I think I might start slowly taking things away the rest of the month and go whole hog in September.
    it takes 2 days after that carb cheat meal to get back into ketosis so you are out of the game for 3 days. you would stand a better chance if you ate the one pizza every other week. if you do eat the pizza, make it a greasy fatty type pie, it slows those carbs down.
    fukahwee maine

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I’m cautious trying anything that the first 3 letters spell DIE.   I went to see my Doctor recently and said he could get me 20 more years if I’d quit drinking, stop having sex and watch what I eat so I asked him why the hell would I want to live that long?  Quality over Quantity any day. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    SonVolt said:
    chipman said:

it takes 2 days after that carb cheat meal to get back into ketosis so you are out of the game for 3 days. you would stand a better chance if you ate the one pizza every other week. if you do eat the pizza, make it a greasy fatty type pie, it slows those carbs down.

If we're sticking to the weight loss = calorie reduction theory, it doesn't really matter if he drops back into ketosis the next day or not, as long as his weekly average calorie intake is lower than he's burning he's still going to lose weight. 
  • Go low carb high fat. Check out dietdoctor.com for info.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You nancyboys talking about dieting.......Bacon shall set you free.

What has this forum come to?

Just kidding, of course.

Do what it take to get healthy. Sacrifice now for the opportunities later. we need you around in the forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky