Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: life is over, wife’s putting me on a diet: OT

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
so wife has been told by my doctor that I’m “unhealthy”.  So starting Monday life as I know it is over.   I’ve been given a sentence of 3mos whole food plant based diet.....I’m sick thinking abut it. 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Time to get a new doctor!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Maybe both
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • ryantt
    edited August 2018
    @nolaegghead it my fault for letting her come to my physical with me.  I should have known better!!!!! Now I’m going to have to eat the stuff my food lives on for a few months. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited August 2018
    We all know how this life is gonna end.  So, you have to decide how you want to enjoy it.  You have not come to a place where you will get sympathy.
    Besides who's gonna mentor Sarah Grace??
    I would negotiate some sort of compromise and not let the friggin Dr drive your life. 
    I truly have no clue about a healthy diet but I do know that my food cook/consumption habits work wonders relative to healthy at least as measured by annual physical numbers and absence of illness. 
    Good luck-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Otis04
    Otis04 Posts: 5
    Try low carb!  Works wonders, all numbers in the right direction and can still cook on the egg
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2018
    @ryantt man I didn’t think I was going to be an advocate for this but you should seriously look into the Keto diet. 

Ive been putting butter in my coffee, eating chorizo, bacon, cheese, steak, and eggs...and drinking bourbon. 

I’ve lost over 30 lbs in 3 weeks. Don’t ask me how, I’m no scientist. But I need new pants and a new belt. 

Edit: I tried the plant thing and quit like a bad habit after a few weeks. I was always hungry and miserable.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    ryantt said:
    ... I’ve been given a sentence of 3mos whole food plant based diet.....I’m sick thinking abut it. 
    If you're going to do it, then no kidding, really DO it.  You may be very surprised!

My wife went on a similar program and it wasn't just that she lost weight and was healthier, she was practically a different person!  Much more energy, able to do things she hadn't been able to do, huge benefit!  She is VERY happy she did it, and is HAPPY to keep doing it!

I have to say that she did NOT love it for the first week or so, I forget how long it took for her to start feeling better,  Might have been a month or more.  But it was definitely less than 3 months, so if you do it for 3 months, I really do think there is a very good chance you will actually be a HAPPY guy!

And then maybe you can keep doing the program mostly, but once in a while reward yourself with some BBQ...  :)
  • ryantt
    @lousubcap Norah Hrace is still going to grill and cook I just can’t eat it.    It will be ok.  In 3mos I should lose 60-80lbs per the doc and take care of my HTN.    I’ve gotten way to fat after my 4 back surgeries.  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ryantt said:
    @nolaegghead it my fault for letting her come to my physical with me.  I should have known better!!!!! Now I’m going to have to eat the stuff my food lives on for a few months. 
    Thanks for clarifying! 

Now, please explain about the need to diet...just heavy or diabetic threat or actual diagnosis? I tipped the scale at 205 at the time I was diagnosed with type 2. While I too  was told to diet "or else" and at the time I was 59. It took me 3 years but I lost 50 pounds and honestly it wasn't that hard to do! I started doing something I never did...I had breakfast! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    edited August 2018
    yeah, I agree with KillIt_And_GrillIt, I'm on Keto and I have lost 9 lbs in 7 days! Today for lunch I ground hot pork skins then dunked chicken wings in egg and the smashed up skins and basted with 50% / 50% Franks and butter... Almost the best wings I have ever had... Of course on the Egg..... Not hard to follow the diet.. Btw... Exercise has been 0%
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • ryantt
    @RRP I’m 75lbs heavier than when I had my first spinal fusion.   I’ve got high blood pressure sleep apnea, high cholesterol a fatty liver and to top it all off I need to take a water pill everyday to keep the swelling in my legs down.  He basically told us that I had a choice to make, see Norah Grace grow up or not.   

So so he recommended a whole food plant based diet that he’s seen great success with in a few others who were in similar shape as I am.   On average they’ve lost 60-80lbs in 3mos come off meds and had improvement in all of their labs.   I’m not looking forward to this but if I can just suck it up for the 3mos and feel better it will have been a minimal inconvience.   After the initial 3month start he then has you eat about 4oz of protein 3-4 times per week.    

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You’ll survive. I’ve lost 60 pounds over the last 8 months. Look at my discussions to see what I eat...
    Simply eat what you like. As long as you maintain a calorie deficit you’ll lose weight. Exercise if you want, but it’s not a requirement for weight loss. Find an online calculator or app that derermines your daily caloric requirement and charge ahead. 

Wait, did I just derail a multi-billion dollar diet industry with three sentences?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Easy decision.  Watch your child grow up or eat meat.  Good luck and in 3 months once you feel better it will all have been worth it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    SGH said:
    ryantt said:
    so wife has been told by my doctor that I’m “unhealthy”.  So starting Monday life as I know it is over.   I’ve been given a sentence of 3mos whole food plant based diet.....I’m sick thinking abut it. 
    It’s not the end of the world. If I can do it anyone can. I’m down from 256 pounds to a solid 195. Dropped from a 45 inch waist down to a 34. I’m trying to hit 185 and a 32 inch waist. 
     1/2 price drinks, apps, and po'boys probably doesn't help.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SGH said:
    ryantt said:
    It’s not the end of the world. If I can do it anyone can. I’m down from 256 pounds to a solid 195. Dropped from a 45 inch waist down to a 34. I’m trying to hit 185 and a 32 inch waist. 
     1/2 price drinks, apps, and po'boys probably doesn't help.
    The oysters are really not fattening. The poboy certainly is. The drinks probably don’t help. With that said, I have really stuck to my diet for the past 7 months. Every so often I have a cheat day and treat myself just to feel normal.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Why plant based? I'm not a doctor, but i'm also not an idiot. I'll save my diet thoughts for now, but i'm highly opposed to this doctors thoughts.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:
    What the heck do doctors know??
    In your line of work, can you tell if someone’s plant based or full meativore?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Maybe I'm overthinking, but isn't unhappy also going to lead to unhealthy?

Best of luck.
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @ryantt man I didn’t think I was going to be an advocate for this but you should seriously look into the Keto diet. 

Ive been putting butter in my coffee, eating chorizo, bacon, cheese, steak, and eggs...and drinking bourbon. 

I’ve lost over 30 lbs in 3 weeks. Don’t ask me how, I’m no scientist. But I need new pants and a new belt. 

Edit: I tried the plant thing and quit like a bad habit after a few weeks. I was always hungry and miserable.
    What: he said  keto works.   26 or so lbs down in 15 days for me...more to lose....
  • ryantt
    @frostyEgg he suggested plant based because in the past when I’ve tried Atkins or other low carb diets while I lost weight my liver numbers and cholesterol went way high.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    FrostyEgg said:
    Why plant based? I'm not a doctor, but i'm also not an idiot. I'll save my diet thoughts for now, but i'm highly opposed to this doctors thoughts.
    Pretty much anything a Doctor knows you can learn on your own in about three minutes on Google.  This is how I know that I'm dying of an extremely rare condition known as thirdlegitis. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Keto away!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    FrostyEgg said:
    Pretty much anything a Doctor knows you can learn on your own in about three minutes on Google.  This is how I know that I'm dying of an extremely rare condition known as thirdlegitis. 
    Yup. People come in my office all the time knowing more than I do. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    What the heck do doctors know??
    In your line of work, can you tell if someone’s plant based or full meativore?
    Sometimes. Amazing what your stool says about you. 

Almost always know who’s vegan though. They usually can’t keep it a secret for more than 53 seconds after meeting you. 
    I wonder if Vegan cross-fitters are quiet, too conflicted about what to talk about first?
    The horror! The HORROR!!!