Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly

Options
Bought one once, made bacon. Good, but no better than Oscar Mayer. Been doing a little research and it sounds like there are many other delicious ways to prepare belly that don't involve bacon or curing. 

Otoh, if you Google restaurant pork belly, or some such, you will see platings of what appear to be thick slabs of nothing but FAT! It is supposed to be a to die for dish... but it looks disgusting. If I got a steak that looked like that, I'd trim most of it and regret going to Ponderosa.

So what's the deal? How do you prepare pork belly?

Discuss...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    My Neighbor egged Pork Belly Burnt Ends over the weekend... they were incredibly good.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I do bacon...I've done this several times, I'll never buy store bought again ...i do cold smoke much longer 

https://youtu.be/BWRbTKnwtjc

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never quite understood what burnt ends are. Sounds like trimmings that  were (over)cooked again.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I've never quite understood what burnt ends are. Sounds like trimmings that  were (over)cooked again.
    Yes, but quite delicious!!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Here is a great pork belly burnt ends recipe: A winner every time.
    And here is a link to a slightly modified approach that is an enhancement from my perspective:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation  Go forth and experiment and above all, enjoy. 
    Edit:  Just grabbed a 5 lb belly today from Costco to fire these up again.  Meat candy at the highest level.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I’ve done pork belly burnt ends a few times, theyre good, Theyre also incredibly rich, like I couldn’t more than 3-4 in a sitting RICH. I’m all about doing bacon. Dry cure for 7-10 days with nothing more than kosher salt, curing salt, Black pepper and pure maple syrup. Then cold smoke with apple pellets in the Amazen smoker for 6-8 hrs. Absolutely incredible. Just make sure you get a decently thick piece of belly. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Bought one once, made bacon. Good, but no better than Oscar Mayer. Been doing a little research and it sounds like there are many other delicious ways to prepare belly that don't involve bacon or curing. 

Otoh, if you Google restaurant pork belly, or some such, you will see platings of what appear to be thick slabs of nothing but FAT! It is supposed to be a to die for dish... but it looks disgusting. If I got a steak that looked like that, I'd trim most of it and regret going to Ponderosa.

So what's the deal? How do you prepare pork belly?

Discuss...
    Did this, it was awesome 
    https://youtu.be/fV9JtsIC2Ek

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    The Alamazan Kitchen guys just put out a crispy pork belly video a week ago that looks worth a go (however, you might still find it too fatty):

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Bought one once, made bacon. Good, but no better than Oscar Mayer.
    You know that first pizza you made didn’t stand head and shoulders above the corner pizzeria.

This is magical, silky pork fat that turns into meat when you cook it.  Your mouth won’t know it’s fat, just your blood work.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Just give it a go.  Worst thing is you will not do it again but based on personal experience.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pork belly is a thing of beauty!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Legume said:
    You know that first pizza you made didn’t stand head and shoulders above the corner pizzeria.
    Hard to argue that one! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

lousubcap said:
    Here is a great pork belly burnt ends recipe: A winner every time.
    And here is a link to a slightly modified approach that is an enhancement from my perspective:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation  Go forth and experiment and above all, enjoy. 
    Edit:  Just grabbed a 5 lb belly today from Costco to fire these up again.  Meat candy at the highest level.  
    Thanks for the links. That's what I was lookin' for!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I took a slab out of the deep freezer today in advance of trying Malcolm Reed's belly burnt ends this weekend. I must read up on the sea2ski enhancements and decide.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Just watched the Almazon vid... I dunno man... fried fat?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You should likely just move on. You’re too hung up on the fat
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I just did some lettuce cups with thin sliced pork belly, marinated and then griddled.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Acn said:
    I just did some lettuce cups with thin sliced pork belly, marinated and then griddled.  

I want that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Whenever I bring pork belly burnt ends somewhere (because I don’t trust them in the house), at least half the people think they are just meat.  The other half know what a pork belly is and don’t care.  The fat takes on more texture than what we think of as fat when it’s bits of it clinging to a steak or chop.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Just watched the Almazon vid... I dunno man... fried fat?
    Did we watch the same video? The only time the belly came into contact with hot oil was the initial sear on the skin in the very lightly oiled wok for about 30 seconds. The remainder of the cook was either sitting in a sauce made from the aromatics and tamarind paste and then finished by roasting in a sort of grill/dutch oven.

I think @theyolksonyou is right - if you're so concerned about fatty meat why bother with a pork belly at all?

Also, you should probably stay away from a top grade Wagyu steak. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pork belly tacos are a favorite in our home. We use a sweet Thai chili sauce and they are incredible. Just bought another pork belly this week, sliced 1" thick specifically for some Asian dishes we will be doing upon return from Houston.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Pork belly tacos are a favorite in our home. We use a sweet Thai chili sauce and they are incredible. Just bought another pork belly this week, sliced 1" thick specifically for some Asian dishes we will be doing upon return from Houston.

Please post how you make it...I like the idea of Thai chili sauce.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Never been a fan of pork belly other than bacon. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    This is a great recipe for PBBE's from Malcom Reed: 

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have only had it in restaurants and I like it okay but it is not my favorite when it is in the big chunks. I think the lettuce wraps @Acn showed above looks excellent. I am assuming it is Korean inspired. 

Maangchi has a video/recipe. I have done her Bulgogi with ribeye and boneless beef short ribs and it was excellent. 

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I have only had it in restaurants and I like it okay but it is not my favorite when it is in the big chunks. I think the lettuce wraps @Acn showed above looks excellent. I am assuming it is Korean inspired. 

Maangchi has a video/recipe. I have done her Bulgogi with ribeye and boneless beef short ribs and it was excellent. 

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi
    That is correct, although I didn't have a recipe, just threw together the marinade.  It was grapeseed oil, tamari, rice vinegar, hoisin, lots of gochujang, and grated garlic and ginger.  There was some kimchi, napa cabbage slaw, and quick pickled bell peppers under the pork belly.

I am also not a huge fan of large chunks of pork belly, even when I do pork burnt ends I usually use boneless butt.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The Alamazan Kitchen guys just put out a crispy pork belly video a week ago that looks worth a go (however, you might still find it too fatty):

Beautiful! I have one of those knives .
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like bacon (though I rarely eat it), and it appears that an Alamazan style belly (and all the other pics I've seen) is essentially an unsliced slab of bacon. Yet, to me, bacon looks good while a whole belly prepared like that does not.

When I posted this, I was hoping there was some way to prepare belly besides bacon or fried fat. The pork belly burnt ends look interesting. I may give those a shot. 

Otherwise, I guess I'll stick to my one slice of Oscar Mayer every couple of months. Or maybe I'll buy a belly, slice it up like bacon (but uncured) and fry it. That'll probably be like cooking a fresh ham - not bad, but not HAM!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Malcolm's recipe for pork belly has got to produce the best bang for the buck for the taste buds.  What I love is that whatever party we attend, the little kids eat em up like they are candy.  They have no clue what they are eating, but they all line up like it was fine chocolate candy.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like bacon (though I rarely eat it), and it appears that an Alamazan style belly (and all the other pics I've seen) is essentially an unsliced slab of bacon. Yet, to me, bacon looks good while a whole belly prepared like that does not.

When I posted this, I was hoping there was some way to prepare belly besides bacon or fried fat. The pork belly burnt ends look interesting. I may give those a shot. 

Otherwise, I guess I'll stick to my one slice of Oscar Mayer every couple of months. Or maybe I'll buy a belly, slice it up like bacon (but uncured) and fry it. That'll probably be like cooking a fresh ham - not bad, but not HAM!
    I'm not much of a bacon eater, but it gets used in a lot of my cooks from poppers to smoked Mac and cheese, homemade bacon takes it to another level
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian