Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I'll be performing in public :o

2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    SRF for the win every time.  Congrats on bringing that cook home across the board.
    BTW- did you ever find the fan bracket??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is a great intro.  You have got this.  I will send you a PM with a whole lot of info-however to cut to the chase, if the company will spring for SRF, grab and go.  Treat those briskets as any other related to prep and cook, although many swear they cook faster I have only had one finish in the low 190's, the remainder in the low 200's *F.  
    Regarding the cook, fire up the BGE a good 3 hours before loading the protein-make sure the temp is stable ( no vent movement for at least an hour) and then go.
    I plan for around 1 hr/lb at a dome temp (calibrated) of around 260-280*F.  However, as the saying goes the "friggin cow drives the cook."  
    The PM I will send along contains several brisket cook insights from Aaron Franklin-just remember he uses of-sets not a BGE.
    Depending on sides, you will need to start with around 2 15 lb packers, figuring around 50% yield and 1/2 lb /person which given sides is a healthy estimate.  
    You will be "walking on water" after this performance.   
    Edit:  Upon further review I sent you all I know about briskets this past May.  No new insights.  
    Frank....if you sent all you know, he is likly reading a chapter a night.....and still has a ways to go! =)

You are the best Frank!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap said:
    SRF for the win every time.  Congrats on bringing that cook home across the board.
    BTW- did you ever find the fan bracket??
    Yes. The freaking thing got dragged behind the bottom vent sliding door, and as I slid it back and forth, it moved with it, remaining hidden behind it. Until the next day AFTER the cook, I go to shut it down, and out it pops. : /
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    nice @haroldopsf , I would have probably just ditched the flameboss and just used the dampers at that point, great challenge please post the results
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Well done.  I'm betting that the ribs were great, but the brisket just stole the show.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX