Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I'll be performing in public :o

I got an XL back in April. Since, I've smoked lots of pork ribs, and 7 briskets. Out of these 7, 2 were like my shoe sole, 2 were not bad, and 3 were really awesome (number 4, 6, an 7).
I brought the left overs from the last one to work, and next thing I know I'm getting hugs and comments like "phenomenal", etc.
It was then decided that I'll smoking briskets for 30 something people at the company wide annual picnic.
What did I get myself into...I told them about my statistics, they still want me to do it...

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    You will do fine, don't overthink it, give yourself plenty of time IE at least a 4- 6 hour cushion to the finish and enjoy the ride--it's a simple easy cook, the egg and cow do all the work
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I got an XL back in April. Since, I've smoked lots of pork ribs, and 7 briskets. Out of these 7, 2 were like my shoe sole, 2 were not bad, and 3 were really awesome (number 4, 6, an 7).
    I brought the left overs from the last one to work, and next thing I know I'm getting hugs and comments like "phenomenal", etc.
    It was then decided that I'll smoking briskets for 30 something people at the company wide annual picnic.
    What did I get myself into...I told them about my statistics, they still want me to do it...
    Good luck with that, just remember when they probe like butter in the thickest part of the flat they are most likely done.  

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • haroldopsf
    haroldopsf Posts: 37
    blasting said:

@haroldopsf Welcome, congrats on the XL, and on the compliments.

Your honesty in terms of your results is refreshing.  Don't worry, it'll be fine.  And even if the cook doesn't meet your standards, it still the best BBQ most will have ever eaten.

Thanks, I hope you're right. One thing that scares me is that I changed parameters throughout these 7 cooks as I'm trying different things out. Mainly, first 6 briskets were at 250 unwrapped. Last one was a shorter cook at 285 and foil wrapped.. Now I have to decide on what to do for this cook, which is on August 3rd. I've been using Costco prime pieces. I'm tempted to get SRF ones since its company money, but scared to try a different piece first time "on stage"
  • lkapigian
    blasting said:

@haroldopsf Welcome, congrats on the XL, and on the compliments.

Your honesty in terms of your results is refreshing.  Don't worry, it'll be fine.  And even if the cook doesn't meet your standards, it still the best BBQ most will have ever eaten.

Thanks, I hope you're right. One thing that scares me is that I changed parameters throughout these 7 cooks as I'm trying different things out. Mainly, first 6 briskets were at 250 unwrapped. Last one was a shorter cook at 285 and foil wrapped.. Now I have to decide on what to do for this cook, which is on August 3rd. I've been using Costco prime pieces. I'm tempted to get SRF ones since its company money, but scared to try a different piece first time "on stage"

SRF is better quality so it will tend to cook quicker- Foil only if you need to speed things up, butcher paper once you get the color and bark you like...I have found that paper does not change the speed like foil--

Can you help with  your plan IE what time are you serving, how far are you traveling , what is your intended start time....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • haroldopsf
    edited June 2018
    Yes, serving at noon, travel time about 15 minutes. I can stat the cook either the night before, or any time early morning. That is really open.
    The first 6 briskets I cooked were unwrapped at 250, and took anywhere from 12 to 18 hours, and in some occasions I had to wrap it to speed it up. Out of the unwrapped ones which turned out good, parts of the flat were sort of dry, but starting half way through the flat and all the way to the end of the point was very good, crispy bark and moist meat.
    The one I wrapped this last time, was cooked at 285. The cook was done in 6 hours total. I sprayed with mix of vinegar and water every 30 minutes in the last 3 hours. The whole piece was super moist, but the bark was not as crispy. As far as cook time goes, I think this last one is the most predictable one. Maybe this, added to the fact that it was the most moist, is the best bet?
    Do you guys achieve moist flats without wrapping? That is my dream...
    I hear the SRF ones arrive frozen in the mail. If so, should I plan to get them at least a week early to let them defrost in the fridge?
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2018
    FWIW I would run it as low as you can, put meat on @ 10 PM see where you are @ in the AM when you get up_ I want @ least 2 hours of rest ( for the brisket) . If I have choice I will make Better Than bouillon with some of the rub you use and butter- if you foil put a little of that in, save the rest for when you cut and put it in the pan....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Ugh. For the lower temp cook it took up to 18 hrs, and you need a few hours of buffer time. For the higher temp cook, you need a lot of close attention and frequent intervention - you’d be up all night. 

My strategy for that kind of timing is I start the cook at night at 225 and take advantage of the stall. The meat will get up to 160 or 170 and hang out there forever. Then I wake up early and crank the temp up to 300-325, dry off any accumulated liquid, and finish. In a jam, wrap it with butcher paper, or foil if needed. Heck I’ll finish stuff in the oven when necessary. 

I really like finishing a few hours early and letting the meat rest in a cooler. I also cheat and use a flameboss. And I mostly avoid cooking overnight!!

good luck and post pix
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Good luck!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited June 2018
    Now that is a great intro.  You have got this.  I will send you a PM with a whole lot of info-however to cut to the chase, if the company will spring for SRF, grab and go.  Treat those briskets as any other related to prep and cook, although many swear they cook faster I have only had one finish in the low 190's, the remainder in the low 200's *F.  
    Regarding the cook, fire up the BGE a good 3 hours before loading the protein-make sure the temp is stable ( no vent movement for at least an hour) and then go.
    I plan for around 1 hr/lb at a dome temp (calibrated) of around 260-280*F.  However, as the saying goes the "friggin cow drives the cook."  
    The PM I will send along contains several brisket cook insights from Aaron Franklin-just remember he uses of-sets not a BGE.
    Depending on sides, you will need to start with around 2 15 lb packers, figuring around 50% yield and 1/2 lb /person which given sides is a healthy estimate.  
    You will be "walking on water" after this performance.   
    Edit:  Upon further review I sent you all I know about briskets this past May.  No new insights.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    lousubcap said:i
    Now that is a great intro.  You have got this.  I will send you a PM with a whole lot of info-however to cut to the chase, if the company will spring for SRF, grab and go.  Treat those briskets as any other related to prep and cook, although many swear they cook faster I have only had one finish in the low 190's, the remainder in the low 200's *F.  
    Regarding the cook, fire up the BGE a good 3 hours before loading the protein-make sure the temp is stable ( no vent movement for at least an hour) and then go.
    I plan for around 1 hr/lb at a dome temp (calibrated) of around 260-280*F.  However, as the saying goes the "friggin cow drives the cook."  
    The PM I will send along contains several brisket cook insights from Aaron Franklin-just remember he uses of-sets not a BGE.
    Depending on sides, you will need to start with around 2 15 lb packers, figuring around 50% yield and 1/2 lb /person which given sides is a healthy estimate.  
    Edit:  Upon further review I sent you all I know about briskets this past May.  No new insights.  
    @lousubcap - you can send the info me. I promise I have not received it before! 
    New Orleans LA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    lousubcap said:
    ... fire up the BGE a good 3 hours before loading the protein-make sure the temp is stable ( no vent movement for at least an hour) and then go...
    Not arguing!  I've only cooked a few flats, never a whole packer, so I'm not disagreeing, just don't know.  Why in the world is it necessary to start the fire 3h before cooking?  I feel like I'm good to go in less than an hour, and the temp's plenty stable enough for me.  I don't worry much about 25° here or there.  Am I missing something?  Can you educate me about this?  I'd like to try a whole packer, sometime, so I keep reading brisket threads.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    My advice, get some extra sleep ahead of the show, I’ll bet you don’t sleep much the night of the cook.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Dondgc - sent.
    @Theophan - I use the three hour guideline as I run w/o a controller and figure I am dialed in within around 60-90 minutes but no rush here.  The BGE can run the cook for the duration and yes I could cut the time- but if an overnight, what's the difference in firing it up around 8 or 9 PM?  
    Personal preference-stable for the night is of more value to me than a later start.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    I totally agree with @lousubcap stable is your target. That is better than everything else. Watch IT. Internal temp. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I am still learning this. With bge just light it and get it dialed in way before adding protein.  (For a low and slow) To many variables if you try and get it lit, stabilized and throw protein on in a hour. Charcoal is cheap. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Thank gawd - I was worried you were gonna say you were dong a donkey show... =)

Depending on how the brisket turns out you may wish for the donkey show.

It's company money, buy the best product you can find.
    I was wondering if he had to bring his own pole for the dance number. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    lousubcap said:
    ... if an overnight, what's the difference in firing it up around 8 or 9 PM?  
    Personal preference-stable for the night is of more value to me than a later start.  FWIW-
    Ah... makes perfect sense!  

I'm too paranoid to go to bed with a fire burning, even though both Eggs are in a cinderblock table.  So for me it's the opposite: if I ever do cook a whole packer, I'll be getting up early and trying to squeeze a really long cook into a daytime cook, so I really don't want to waste an hour or even two just to be sure I don't have to nudge the temp a bit.  I'll probably be nudging the temp up after several hours at 250° anyway, so I can eat before dark...  ;)

Thanks! 
  • haroldopsf
    Ok, so my plan is to cook 1 or 2 SRF briskets and some ribs. I want to cook the ribs towards the end of the brisket cook. A few questions:

1) I intend to purchase the the second level raised grid to put the ribs on (https://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/ ). Towards the last 5 hours or so of the brisket, I would throw some baby backs on the second level. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there enough room on the second level to place one of those rib holder things?

2) What would cook better, one 18-20 lbs brisket or two 10 lbs ones?

Thanks all for the help
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    Aaron Franklin is a great source, but I will tell you this: Frank has this cook down.
    Do whatever @lousubcap offers and you will deliver a delicious brisket.
    Dude has got it going on.
    Good luck. You got this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • haroldopsf
    Thanks @YukonRon. I was looking for more specific information as mentioned in my post right above yours:

Ok, so my plan is to cook 1 or 2 SRF briskets and some ribs. I want to cook the ribs towards the end of the brisket cook. A few questions:

1) I intend to purchase the the second level raised grid to put the ribs on (https://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/ ). Towards the last 5 hours or so of the brisket, I would throw some baby backs on the second level. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there enough room on the second level to place one of those rib holder things?

Thanks all for the help
  • lkapigian
    Personally I like cooking larger brisket so long as you get a nice fat flat and don't have to trim so much that it is now a small brisket---You can darn near put the ribs on when you put your Brisket in the cooler and have a solid 4 hours for your ribs or when your brisket is nearing the finish toss it in the oven for the finish , the egg has done its job by then...My 2 cents 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,796
    I have that BGE 2nd level grid.  I bought it because I had a gift certificate to a place that sells them.  It's works fine.  However, most people prefer to do their multilevel cooking on accessories from the Ceramic Grill Store.  I've used the stuff once at an Eggfest and it's great.  The sliding racks come in very handy.

Call Tom at the store and he'll tell you what you need - and no more.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Am I the only one who conjured up images of those risqué shows in Amsterdam upon reading  “performing in public”?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

1) I intend to purchase the the second level raised grid to put the ribs on (https://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/ ). Towards the last 5 hours or so of the brisket, I would throw some baby backs on the second level. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there enough room on the second level to place one of those rib holder things?

Thanks all for the help
    I’ve done cooks similar to what you’re describing on that second level grid.  Here’s a post that includes a cook like that where I did some ribs later in a brisket cook: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174012/catching-up-on-cooks-lots-of-pics#latest

If I were doing this cook, I would avoid having raw pork juices dripping on my brisket bark.  If your brisket is wrapped by the time the ribs go on there’s no problem.  Or I would put the brisket up top and ribs on the bottom (but you may need to cook your ribs flat without a rack).  

The second grid works ok but as Foghorn pointed out it doesn’t give you as many configurations as an Adjustable Rig from the ceramic grill store would give you. I recently upgraded to the AR and wish I had bought it sooner.

As for space, I would think a rib rack would fit on top as long as it isn’t a really tall one (say over 5-6”).   

As for your 1 vs 2 briskets question, hard to answer based just on weight.  Two briskets would cook faster but not necessarily better as there are many factors like thickness and uniformity of the flat.  Personally I would prefer to cook one bigger brisket but could cook 2.

Where are you located?  Any chance the “sf” in your name is for San Francisco?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • haroldopsf
    R2Egg2Q said:

Where are you located?  Any chance the “sf” in your name is for San Francisco?
    Thanks for the replies! I am checking out AR at ceramicgrillstore.com right now. Yes, I'm in San Jose! Seems like we're close!
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    lkapigian said:
    Personally I like cooking larger brisket so long as you get a nice fat flat and don't have to trim so much that it is now a small brisket---You can darn near put the ribs on when you put your Brisket in the cooler and have a solid 4 hours for your ribs or when your brisket is nearing the finish toss it in the oven for the finish , the egg has done its job by then...My 2 cents 
    Did that with my last brisket, worked out very well.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • haroldopsf
    edited August 2018
    Well, the company picnic was today, and the cook started yesterday at midnight. 
    So,where do I start...It's almost midnight, the egg is coming up to temp, briskets are seasoned, all is ready to go.
    Before this cook I did my best to think of anything that could go wrong, like my flame boss probes for instance. I made sure I had extra pit and meat probes, as I ruined them before.
    So, as I'm about to hook up the flame boss, bring it up to 250, put meat on and go to bed, I realize I can't find the f$%^ing stupid fan bracket. Of course, now, the one time I have 50 lbs of meat to cook for 35 people, the one thing that was never on my radar, suddenly is. Freaking fan bracket.
     Well, it was going to be a long night. I then was about to fire up my espresso machine to stay awake, when I decided to do this instead:

It worked great. See the quality, the craftsmanship. I might sell these as a kit. 

Well, then, with flame boss now up and running, I put on the two 16 pounders SNF black briskets. What an amazing piece of meat. 

They smoked at 250 from midnight until 7am, when I wrapped them in butcher paper. At this time. I put 7 slabs of baby backs on:

Now, you are looking at 50 lbs of meat on the XL. Holy crap

The briskets, which I rubbed with salt and pepper, and smoked with a crap load of hickory and oak chunks, were incredible. The best I've made, or had. Both pieces were gone in a short time. Lots of left over ribs

One detail is that as I was starting to slice the first brisket, in the beggining of the event, I was hasty and accidentally grabbed my knife, and sliced my finger pretty bad. One second I'm slicing themost amazing looking brisket, the next there is blood every where. 
    So, after a napkin bandage and a trip to urgent care, and some glue, all is good. In summary, pretty successful cook, all considered. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited August 2018
    Do we don’t get pics of the brisket but we get bloody finger?

kidding. 

Great job!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX