Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favourite pizza topping?

Options
I'm having a pizza party on Saturday. Will be cooking 12 pizzas I think. These are some of the ones I did last time. The absolute winner that everyone is asking I do again is blue cheese, leek and walnut (with no tomato sauce of course). 

What's your favourite topping? And any weird ones that just work really well?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hard to beat artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, roasted garlic, carmelized onions, halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, feta and anchovies.
    Options
    Here’s the menu from a very good pizza restaurant in Louisville. I have used this for inspiration several times. 

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1456653/27927632/1528925677100/LARGE+DINNER+MENU+W+ALTERNATIVES+2018+PDF.pdf?token=SALoyDV8gYgciAov9r1Wrzbluso=
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Hard to beat artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, roasted garlic, carmelized onions, halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, feta and anchovies.
    My favorite!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Give crushed pistachio, garlic, and mortadella a shot if you haven't yet.  I usually do it just with olive oil and fresh mozz - no need for sauce.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    still think plain old fashion garlic EVOO ricotta and fresh mozzarella and spinach is hard to beat

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pesto pizza with toppings of choice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This. But be aware of the amount of oil if using a store bought pesto. You can end up with a pond of oil with some. Kroger’s private selection is my favorite if you take about half the oil out when it’s seperated after opening.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    We like it with chicken and red onions.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Winter:  Pepperoni, mushroom, mozz on my tomato sauce, sprinkled w/chiffonade basil, Parma, and good olive oil once out of the Egg (NY-style dough/crust)

Summer: Very thinly-sliced Romas, garlic, and artichoke hearts, arugula; EVOO and Parma once out of the Egg, and any herbs/special veggies from the farmer's market that day, margherita-style crust

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    I'll throw a wrench in the gears. No cheese eater here. (Lactose intolerant)
    Sauce, Italian sausage, and peperoni. Fold and eat so you don't lose the toppings.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    showoff

Options
    I would post all my pizza cooks but it would break the server.  I'm humble that way.
    Options
    Canadian bacon, garlic, jalapeño, cream cheese and pineapple.   Local joint (Zio’s) calls it the Hawaii 5-0 and it’s legit.  

That’s right.  Team Pineapple over here.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    EVOO or truffle oil, fresh garlic, talleggio or triple creme brie, prosciutto.  Crushed red pepper and parma regg to finish.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    @TheToast I did triple buffalo pizza at the weekend - buffalo minute steak, buffalo tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella. Weird and lovely.

The buffalo steak was sourced from The Buffalo Farm in Scotland, the tomatoes from a local farm shop and the moz from Waitrose. Topped off with basil leaves from our back garden ... which have never been anywhere near a buffalo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree the blue cheese sounds interesting,  is one I would definately like to try.

My favorite though is gonna have to be chicken, pineapple and pepper
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Pepperoni & sun dried tomatoes~~
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I tend to go light, and try to find the best ingredients. Buffalo mozz, I like La Quercia prosciutto, fresh basil leaves, maybe a few leaves of rosemary. Base is oil. From what I've read, unless a specific estate is mentioned, most of the oil sold in the US is very poor quality. Maybe a few grates of parmesan.

I've had pizzas that were very good w. walnuts and a dribble of balsamic. Bith my wife and I like anchovies, and she likes a few capers.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Last night we made spicy italian sausage, garlic, spinach and feta.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    herb crust with rosemary thyme and garlic, sauce is roasted scallions and garlic with anchovie balsamic and basil, topping is kalamata olives and anchovies, then gorganzola and fresh basil sprinkled on top after cooking

Image result for Pissaladiere fishlessman

that ones a little rich, serve it in small slices.

also like a simple portuguese chourico or linguica pizza, lots a greese =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

White sauce with roasted garlic mozz, pecorino romano, cheddar, asiago, sun dried tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, pancetta and olive oil. 

Outstanding!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One more. I haven't tried this one, but it was a throwdown winner on here a few years ago. Roasted duck with dates! On my bucket list.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1765932#Comment_1765932

Four pages of other great ideas too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    LOTS of different mushrooms on red sauce with goat cheese.  Load it with mushrooms or it will be bland.  Can add diced pancetta to this

prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, little bits of blue cheese (less is more), thin slices of fresh figs, balsamic syrup drizzle,

brisket, onion and jalapeño on red sauce/bbq sauce base
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I love me some mushrooms but by far the best added flavor for me comes from fresh slivered garlic. A must have on all of my za's.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Damn you all, it’s only 9:30 and now I need pizza
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Funny how different tastes can be. Love onion, hate it on pizzas. That is a good looking pizza though.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    One more. I haven't tried this one, but it was a throwdown winner on here a few years ago. Roasted duck with dates! On my bucket list.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1765932#Comment_1765932

Four pages of other great ideas too.
    That does look and sound like a killer pie!  Thanks for posting the link to that thread too - entertaining on several levels.