Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official Pizza Throwndown Thread

Options

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Pulled pork with jalapenos, onion, bacon, and cheddar.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    Pulled pork with jalapenos, onion, bacon, and cheddar.
    OMG, how do we compete with this? This LOOK's Awesome...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Here is my offering, store bought dough from the same really good pizza joint I worked at 40/43 years ago and the stuff on the counter, I  am a pretty good assembler. Here are some pic's
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    these pizzas look amazing!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Hey guys, thought I would throw one up here for you to see. 

"Drunken Duck and Date Woodfired Pizza" (it's a margarita pizza so it's kind of a play on words;)

It starts with home made dough - combination of "00" and pastry flour Napoleon style recipe. 

Home made pesto with garden basil , lemon, toasted pine nuts, fresh parm, salt, pepper and lemon.

Layer as follows: Dough with cornmeal underlay, pesto, Fresh buffalo mozzerella , basil leaves, slow roasted duck leg (on egg) and raw sliced dates. 

Set on a hot stone at 650F for 12 mins rotating a few times . 

Topped with roasted garlic cloves, cut and served
    This is awesome looking!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Crust recipe came from @RRP I think. 

1pkg dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup EVOO
    2-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Mix water, sugar, salt and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until bubbles form, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until dough doesn't stick to bowl.

Boys did their own ingredients except the dough. They had pepperoni and cheese.

Wife and I had garlic Alfredo, caramelized onion, red peppers and cheese. Cooked indirect at 550 - 600 for about 10 to 12 minutes. Boys did amazing and ours was out of bounds. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here is my entry.  Did 3 first for pizza on the egg last night for the wife and friends in the neighborhood. 

The first was a Steak and Blue Cheese Pizza that lovely wife asked my to try and make.  It was great and we will be having it again.  I used Antimo Caputo "00" pizzareia flour for the crust, RQ Barbeque white sauce (I am including this in the rubs and sauce exchange), steak filet, 4 oz of crumble blue cheese, about 3/4 cup or so of shredded mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan cheese and some of my brother n law's BBQ rub he makes.  It's called Bruce's Rub.  good stuff, he won't tell me what's in it.  This was my wife's favorite.  I cooked the filet on my Kuhanu to medium rear and sliced it thin.  
    Recipe:
    http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/steak-blue-cheese-pizza/

The second was a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza with; sliced mozzarella cheese, precooked Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Jasper's Pizza Sauce and Parmesan Cheese.  It was great, the only thing next time I won't use as much dough and may try to cook it all the way in one cook.  I followed the BGE recipe where you cook the crust for 10 minutes then add the rest of the ingredients then cook it for 20 minutes more.  This was mine and my friends favorite.  

The third and final was a apple desert pizza.  It called for to use an pie crust for the pizza crust.  I used three different types of apples; Honey Crisp, Fuji and Johnathon.  The recipe is below.  This was everyone's favorite and I highly recommend it.  It could for it to be cooked at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, but my egg was at around 425 so I went with 15 minutes and that was enough.
    Recipe:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-crisp-pizza

This was a lot of fun and PLEASE VOTE!

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ok, I cooked 10 pizzas at the Meadow Creek eggfest today and didn't get to eat a slice myself. My various stage cooks will be of different pizzas, as that's how it goes at a fest.

Overnight Straight Pizza Dough recipe from "Flour Water Salt Yeast". This was the dough after the overnight slow ferment.

All set and prepped:

BBQ Pulled Pork pizza ready to launch. Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, pulled pork and shredded mozzarella.

Mid cook shot after a rotation:

I didn't get any finish pics of any of the BBQ Pulled Pork pizzas, so here's the only finish pic I got. This is just a typical cheese pizza.

And that's my 5. :smile: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's mine...  BBQ chicken pizza.  Homemade NY style dough off of the serious eats website, Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce, mozzarella and smoked gouda cheese, BBQ chicken breast done on the egg and thinly sliced, red onion, and topped with cilantro after cooking.  Cooked at 500 degrees dome for 12 minutes.  First time posting pics like this, so I hope they come out okay.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This photo got left out.  I meant for it to be the first one in the series.

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    He are 3 pizzas from tonight. Bbq sauce grilled chicken boars head pepperoni bacon bits and mozzarella and cheddar cheese, next veggie tomatoe sauce baby Bella's tomatoes dill pickles and mozzarella and cheddar cheese. The last one was tomatoe sauce boars head pepperoni and mozzarella and cheddar and bacon bits.  All 3, crust was perfect crisp and soft dough top.  Stone temp between 4-500. Some temp between 5-600. About 7 minutes. 
  • tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    Friday night is pizza night and this was last nights results. 
    The first is the sausage, onion pepper pizza. Dough is from a local Italian restaurant and hand tossed here. I do not use a roller on the dough.

Cheese Pizza
    Homemade Sauce, tomato sauce with Penzey Garlic basil and secret ingredients.
    Gruyere chunks
    Ricotta blobs
    Fresh grated parmesan 
    Mozzarella 

The second is a sausage, onion bell pepper. Same dough and sauce as above.

Both cooked on the BGE at 500F for about 9-10 minutes. There is nothing better than pizzas cooked on a BGE. (Well, maybe Rib-eyes and morels) 

• MightyQuinn_13
    Options
    Decided to try a dessert pizza, not sure why:

Bacon wrapped bananas, creme anglaise for the sauce, a maple bourbon glaze featuring a hint of Meat Church Honey Hog Hot, crushed pistachio, mascarpone for the cheese and just a bit of cinnamon sugar on the crust.

Everything cooked on the BGE at 450-550

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Decided to try a dessert pizza, not sure why:

Bacon wrapped bananas, creme anglaise for the sauce, a maple bourbon glaze featuring a hint of Meat Church Honey Hog Hot, crushed pistachio, mascarpone for the cheese and just a bit of cinnamon sugar on the crust.

Everything cooked on the BGE at 450-550

Wow!! This is awesome!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is my first participation in a throwdown. I finally had a weekend off work! (My job sucks!) After seeing previous throwdowns, i knew i needed to go outside the box and go above and beyond. My favorite pizza in the whole world is the margherita pizza! 

(The description for each picture is below it, not above it. Just a note for the readers.)

We made a ton of dough a while back and froze it in single pie servings, so we thawed some out. Roma tomatoes, fresh basil from our garden, and fresh mozz (the kind that comes in a ball in water) was really all we needed. I will say this is the best pizza i have ever had. 

Unconventionally, we decided to forego the pizza stone and grill our pizza over a direct 450 degree fire atop the grid, supported by the AR and extender (gotta go all out for the throwdown!). First pic is the toppings, fresh basil, cheese, and tomatoes, as well as the dough going for the first cook and then the tomatoes spread on as a sauce. I sliced the tomatoes a bit over 1/4 inch thick and seasoned them with kosher salt, fresh minced garlic, pepper, and olive oil. They were grilled direct for about 5 min a side until quite soft. I mashed them all up and they became the sauce for my pizza. 

When you put the dough on the grill, brush a little olive oil on it and sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt on it, then lay it on. It will get all bubbly and puffy. After a couple minutes, we pulled it and oiled the uncooked side, and flipped to add the sauce. Then we topped it and threw it back in the egg. About 2 minutes, 180 turn, then two more minutes. 

This is the pizza just as it went back in with the fresh toppings. 

Here it is nice and melted and crispy ready to come off for final toppings and enjoyment!

The last step was to add a good heap of fresh basil from the garden and a heavy swirl of extra virgin olive oil. 

Last picture, here is a shot of the bottom. Super crispy, and amazingly deliciois with the kosher salt and slightly smoky flavor from the direct heat. I hope you all enjoyed my post, it was a great first experience doing a throwdown!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,216
    Options
    Here's my entry for the throwdown. Woooooo!

Big Green Egg Vera Pizza Napoletana

I wanted to make authentic margherita italian pizza so I found the official italian organization that dictates the stringent ingredients and prep methods that must be used in order to use the Vera Pizza Napoletana name. It took me over four hours and three stores to procure the ingredients. Ingredients included imported Caputa 00 wheat flour, imported water with specific Ph and calcium levels, Pomodoro San Marzano D.O.P tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala campana D.O.P, fior di latte, the Pope's sea salt imported from Di Cervia, Italy, Colvita Private Reserve olive oil, imported aged parmesan reggiano,  and fresh basil imported from my garden in the backyard.  All work was performed was performed in strict accordance to the regulations. In full disclosure, I only "cheated" by not purchasing a copper kettle to pour the olive oil and I didn't buy a metal peel to pull the pizza off. (has to be put on with a wood peel). Of course, using the egg is cheating also technically. Here are the international regulations for Vera Pizza Napoletana.

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/VPN disciplinare english.pdf

I fired up the XL to the required 800F dome temp and I became a pizzaiola today. 

WARNING: Do not try this with an egg in a wooden table. 

Here's the six hour dough making process.  

The pizzaiola at work...

Here's the first pizza. 63 second cook time. 

Here's the second pizza. 82 second cook time. 

Pizza was .06mm out of spec. =)  No air gap for the stone because the surface temp needed to be 900F. The BGE gasket was a throw down casualty and will get the Rutland treatment soon. I'm sure bands will need readjustment as well. It was a fun process and the pizza was fantastic. For the Atlanta folks, I can honestly say it was as good as Antico. Sometimes simple is best. 

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Begger said:

Amazing looking!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Today is the final day to enter. Again Please keep comments etc on the unofficial discussion thread.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182349/unofficial-throwdown-thread#latest
    Great entries. Keep em coming in. Good luck. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Here's my entry of Chicken Parm Pizza.  Dough and sauce were homemade.  Chicken breasts were seasoned and battered in panko then fried on the mini-max.  Pizza was cooked on the large.  The large also handled the dessert pizza consisting of a brownie crust with cream cheese, powdered sugar and fresh strawberries.    

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Edit: deadline is Monday 06/15/15 1159PM EST (I was a day ahead for some reason). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Here is my modest entry into the field already crowded with great looking pies. Tonight's cook: The Rocket, a white pizza with garlic, prosciutto and arugula. 

Garlic infused EVOO and prosciutto. 

Cooked about 8 minutes until crust was just right and pulled. 

Then in topped with arugula. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We decided to do a several course meal, all done on the egg. It started with grilled roasted tomato bruschetta, followed by a grilled romaine caesar salad. For the pizzas, one was a southwest BBQ pork with fire roasted corn, the other was a more traditional hot sausage and pepperoni. Finished the meal with grilled peaches brushed with peach schnapps/honey mixture and cool whip.

Spread of ingredients and finished pizzas.

Ready to assemble! Grilled crostini, roasted tomatoes, roasted corn, fresh made pizza dough, grilled romaine, pizza toppings, and grilled peaches.

Finished bruschetta with the roasted tomatoes, basil, and parmesan. 

Finished plate. Salad was the grilled romaine, croutons made from the bread used to make the bruschetta, parmesan, and dressing.

Grilled peaches were brushed with peach schnapps, honey, and cinnamon mixture, topped with cool whip and cinnamon/powdered sugar.

Southwest style pizza. Pappys BBQ sauce for the base, shredded 4 cheese mexican mix, fresh jalapenos, roasted corn, charred red onion, scallions, cilantro, and leftover pulled pork from last weekends party.

Meat Pizza. Homemade spicy tomato sauce, hot sausage, pepperoni, 3 cheese italian blend, onion blend, crimini mushrooms (on one half), and topped off with fresh basil and parsley.

Enjoyed putting this all together with the wifey for our first throwdown. Hope you all enjoy!

Pizza1.jpg

Pizza2.jpg

Pizza3.jpg

Pizza 4.jpg

Pizza5.jpg

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Lotta great pizza cooks here. 1st throw down I get to join in on with my Chicago Deep Dish, Lou Malnati eat your heart out!
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,810
    Options
    took me 7 years of college to perfect the perfect pie, and yess i still make them from time to time =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That's fantastic.  I was always partial to bagels and mounds of cheese for my college pizzas.

<edit> oops, sorry for the comment Blake, thought this was the unofficial.
  • dblalock1030
    Options
    Crust recipe came from @RRP I think. 

1pkg dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup EVOO
    2-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Mix water, sugar, salt and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until bubbles form, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until dough doesn't stick to bowl.

Boys did their own ingredients except the dough. They had pepperoni and cheese.

Wife and I had garlic Alfredo, caramelized onion, red peppers and cheese. Cooked indirect at 550 - 600 for about 10 to 12 minutes. Boys did amazing and ours was out of bounds. 

It looks like you used the AR with Rig Extender.  I have the same setup but I'm having problems getting my toppings browned before the bottom crust is done.  I can't tell, but do you just have the one stone on the spider and the 2nd stone on top of the extender?  Just trying to get everything perfectly cooked at the same time.  I've been cooking at 500 but thinking that maybe I need to bring that up to the 550 range to see how that works.  500 is the temp my dough recipe (meant for an oven) called for though. 

Good looking pizzas BTW. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all.