Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB-- is it worth the price?

Options
Not much of a body to this post, is it really worth $80??

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    This is not a need item so much as a want.  Personally I manage just fine with an ash tool.   But folks who have the KABs swear by them.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm wondering this as well. As others mentioned in another recent thread, the older versions haven't held up well over time. Doesn't seem worth it to me if they only last a year or two, but I'm guessing the new stainless steel versions hold up better. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I think that $80 is better spent on a cordless vacuum to really kick that ash in the ash.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've had a KAB for about two months. Controlling the heat is much more manageable. Getting to target temp happens much faster. Cleaning for the next cook is less of a mess. (I shake the ash into a plastic bag.)

What I didn't expect was how much less lump I would use. KAB has paid for itself in less than three bags of RW.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I've had one for my XL for over a year. Money well spent in my opinion, and probably the best accessory that I've bought. Great people to deal with too.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I paid $60 for mine and would buy again, but I can see where some will feel the money is better spent elsewhere. I think I must have the second or third version -- it's not stainless but has held up wonderfully. Like most things with the BGE, I'm glad I purchased the stuff that I use all the time and wish I hadn't gotten those things collecting dust. There are certainly worse ways to spend $60 or even $80. Mine gets used every cook and I'm glad I bought it. Improved air flow is also a plus.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    this is easy, the BGE is not worth ~1000 either.  You can cook the same for much less.  But if someone were to tell me I could get a refund on my egg, and my KAB, I would decline both offers.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's nice for tailgating, but otherwise, I doubt I would buy it for 80 dollars. I have an original one that was around 50 something with a sale. I save it for times I need to pull the coals to cool the egg off faster. Otherwise, I use an expanded steel grate. The purpose of the KAB is defeated when you fill the charcoal up past the handles, which I do for the majority of cooks.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I enjoy mine, and one of the main things I like about it, is if I want to remove any left over lump for either a different brand or to put in the Vortex, it is much easier to just lift out the basket, than digging out the lump and trying to figure out where to put it!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    I bought an alternative stainless basket from Amazon for half the price and like it a lot, very easy cleanup and much better airflow.  $39.95  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRRY5J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    is it really worth $80??
    That depends on how bad you want it. More often than not, my wants take precedence over my needs. Example, do I need 8 different razors? The answer is undeniably a big no. However I wanted them and as such I have them. Same goes for most all other crap that I have. Nothing wrong with treating yourself with things that you want. If you really want it, then it’s worth every penny. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dshaffes
    dshaffes Posts: 29
    Options
    I love my KAB.  It makes ash cleanup and reusing lump much easier much easier.  I also have their charcoal divider and can do 2-zone cooks on my BGE with ease. Great product!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    scdaf said:
    I bought an alternative stainless basket from Amazon for half the price and like it a lot, very easy cleanup and much better airflow.  $39.95  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRRY5J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for sharing that link, @scdaf.  How has the Titan held up?  How much have you used it?
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed.  Enjoy it while you can and don't think twice about an $80 expenditure.  I absolutely guarantee that when you are on your death bed and they have called in the family for your final words, they won't be "I really wish I hadn't spent that $80 for a KAB."
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    Options
    ^^^ Dave Ramsey over here
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Have to have .. No.....  but it makes it much easier to prep lump to cook.. makes clean out much easier and it does maintain temps better for me .... highly recommend...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Thanks for sharing that link, @scdaf.  How has the Titan held up?  How much have you used it?

Have used it in probably 20 cooks so far and don't see how it could be better built.  Wish it was a little bigger for my Pit Boss 24, probably perfect for LBGE.

On my death bed, I may say, "Glad I didn't throw money away  so I'm able to leave a little to my daughter and granddaughter...

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I am cheap but bought a KAB. saved me lump , quicker clean up, easier to get to temp on LBGE over stock grate. If you want to save some $ buy the titan version on Amazon like someone replied on this thread.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    scdaf said:
    scdaf said:

Have used it in probably 20 cooks so far and don't see how it could be better built.  Wish it was a little bigger for my Pit Boss 24, probably perfect for LBGE.

On my death bed, I may say, "Glad I didn't throw money away  so I'm able to leave a little to my daughter and granddaughter...

This thread piqued my interest in his accessory. Looking at the pics posted on Amazon, it looks like it is quite a bit smaller than the diameter of the XL. Is that the case? If so does it affect the temps in any way?

• SonVolt
    Options
    There's an XL version that should match up just fine. 
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I have one for my XL.  Totally worth it.  
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    scdaf said:

Nope.  Zero chance you say that over a grill accessory.  SMH.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I didn’t read all of the other responses but I say yes. I have one in my small and large. If they made one for the mini it would have one too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have it in both the mMx and the XL. I would probably replace if they came apart.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    When it comes to the KAB, there are those that lean to the left and those that lean to the right, both claim to be correct.  Sure, one can view the price of the KAB as high, but let me say this, isn't the BGE somewhat pricey when you can get an Old Smokey for <$100?  But the BGE is superior he says....  In my opinion, over time, the various brands of lump have a higher percentage of smaller pieces which seem to more easily plug up the firebox holes.  The KAB reduces and/or eliminates that altogether and provides more/better air flow through the chamber, resulting in faster startup and better temp control.  At one point you bought your egg and eventually asked yourself "how did I live without it".  For me, the KAB was the same, I just wish I had not waited so long to pull the trigger.  Good luck in making your decision.  I have the SS model and love it.  Another one for me is the Smobot, it's a good tool.  I own a DigiQ and have not used it and I am contemplating putting it up for sale.  As we get older, we realize there are things that are "just do it" and the KAB is one of those.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.