Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Sold My XL and Small Egg, I'll Shirley Miss Them!

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    Cool!!! And also that was very cool of you to offer to loan it back to the seller! That shows real class in my book!
    Thanks! @RRP No skin off my back if he wants to borrow it. He seemed like a great guy. He even mentioned that I could call/text with any questions about it. It's the very least I could do.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Great find! I would've been all over that as well. Would love to find one in my area. Enjoy your Shirley.
    Thank you! @pescadorzih Way more than I need but I knew I'd have trouble finding another in my area again. Wishing you the best on your search!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Very nice find!

I'm sure you'll have fun learning to use that and playing with real fire.

If I was in the market for such a thing Shirley Fab is definitely who would be getting my money.
    Thanks! @HeavyG Definitely looking forward to the learning process. I'll see what I'm getting myself into here shortly 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - you may want to reach out to @CTMike as he recently took possession of a huge SF rig.  Have fun with the sticks.  
    Thanks! @lousubcap My Shirley smoker looks like it should be in the sandbox with all the other toys compared to CTMike's pit. He has a beautiful setup. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Congrats on the great find and I wish I had some grills or something to sell to get stick burner.  All though I would have to clean out the garage to make room for it.

I wish I had the cash for this one I just found on CL.  Maybe some day.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/6069997358.html
    I'd love a smoker on a trailer. Just for the flexibility. I also have storage issues. I'm fortunate that this smoker is compact enough where I can roll and store in front of our vehicles. I can't afford a whole stall for storage. Man how I dream of a third stall on my garage.....

Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Weber, don't whine about not having a 3rd stall.   Go build it!    You definitely have the skills!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Weber, don't whine about not having a 3rd stall.   Go build it!    You definitely have the skills!

Best decision we made when we added on to the house was to go with a 3 car garage with LVL's so no Lally columns. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Man...what a great trade. Enjoy learning the off-set and please post pics of cooks on that bad boy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    Holy. Sh!t. Talk about a score. The boss lady occasionally harps on me about selling off a few grills. I gladly would to make room for a Shirley. 
    Lone Star Grillz is right in your back yard. I'm just trying to help...
    Oh I know. I was all set to get one of their vertical cabinet smokers last year for my birthday. Even went up there and put my order in. But they went from "we can build anything" to "no we're too busy to make any changes to our standard builds" as my build date drew closer. So I figured they were too busy to get my money too and cancelled the order. 

my heart was really set on a Shirley patio model like this one , and I was settling for LSG since they were closer and I wouldn't have to wait a year. But I'm a patient fella (sometimes ) so I guess I will hold on for a bit longer.

In the meantime, I'll just be jealous of @WeberWho :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    With their waiting list, you might think about putting your name on the list @caliking. You'll have until mid 2018 to figure out the details. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    With their waiting list, you might think about putting your name on the list @caliking. You'll have until mid 2018 to figure out the details. 
    I was thinking of waiting until my 3yo is old enough to split wood before putting a down payment on a Shirley. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@caliking

They make small hatchets.
    Phoenix 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    caliking said:
    I was thinking of waiting until my 3yo is old enough to split wood before putting a down payment on a Shirley. 
    By the time you get a SF if you put your deposit in now, your 3 y/o will be old enough. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    thetrim said:

Thanks Trim. I'd love a third stall on the garage. I dream of a shop/garage in the backyard. Come on lottery!

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pissed off.  Why I've been quiet.  You never reached out to me.  I'dve bought em both ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    Options
    CTMike said:
    thetrim said:

Best decision we made when we added on to the house was to go with a 3 car garage with LVL's so no Lally columns. 
    Good to know CTMike. One of the few things I regret not getting when buying this house. I couldn't be too picky in my price range. Someday maybe with the third stall.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Man...what a great trade. Enjoy learning the off-set and please post pics of cooks on that bad boy.
    Dave in Florida I'd be happy to snap a few pics. It could get ugly fast! =) I guess that's what the first cook is all about. It could be something great or something terrible. Flip of the coin!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Pissed off.  Why I've been quiet.  You never reached out to me.  I'dve bought em both ;)
    @bgebrent Haha. I completely forgot we're neighbors.  Only a few houses between us and the 1,000 miles.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    We're going vertical smoker on the warming cabinet fellas! A little brainstorming, cutting, and couple cold ones this evening between my dad, brother in law, and I. Just a little update if anyone ever stumbles across this post.. 

Minnesota
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    SCORE!   Really enjoyed the read.  Great story and hope you & Shirley live happily ever after. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @WeberWho - better to be lucky than good any day.  As has been documented here on several occasions, you and your family have great fabricating skills.  No doubt you will nail the end-game construction and have quite a versatile rig.  A skill-set several orders of magnitude beyond my comprehension.  
    Enjoy the enhancement as I know you will.  Dang...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SCORE!   Really enjoyed the read.  Great story and hope you & Shirley live happily ever after. 
    Haha thanks SSQUAL612. 

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!! 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - better to be lucky than good any day.  As has been documented here on several occasions, you and your family have great fabricating skills.  No doubt you will nail the end-game construction and have quite a versatile rig.  A skill-set several orders of magnitude beyond my comprehension.  
    Enjoy the enhancement as I know you will.  Dang...
    Thanks @Lousubcap! I'm fortunate to know people with all the right tools and knowledge to put things together. =) With a little luck we should get something pasted together. It's been a year or so now with the smoker and very much looking forward to be going vertical. Especially with smaller cooks and higher temps. The baffle plate and heat deflector are going to be designed a little different than Shirley Fabrications. I'm a little concerned on how temps will very from side to side with our design. My dad being a mechanical engineer and brother in law who teaches mechanical design say it shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed. I'm a little nervous. We shall see. Fun times nontheless 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir!! 
    Thanks @Hotch! I'm finally getting going on it. I'm going to post over on the Brethren as well. Just need to figure out that whole picture posting thing. :s

Minnesota
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    first off congrats on finding that score. 

second I would have probably taken the small GE off your hands.  Not very often they become available up here in MN.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir!! 
    Thanks @Hotch! I'm finally getting going on it. I'm going to post over on the Brethren as well. Just need to figure out that whole picture posting thing. :s
    Give me a call and I can help with that!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Congrats, that’s awesome! I actually had a SF smoker in the que for Paul to build, then decided to cancel. I wanted something more versatile & easier to move since I move every few years. Ended up with an XL. 

I still dream about one day owning a SF—such a standout family and cookers that are second to none!
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Congrats. I've been struggling to adjust to my XL after coming from a large offset. I've learned to love the BGE in its own right - for grilling, outdoor oven etc, but it's a lousy smoker by comparison. You're going to love having a true stick burner and all the real estate it brings. I think a Kingman is in my near future. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    first off congrats on finding that score. 

second I would have probably taken the small GE off your hands.  Not very often they become available up here in MN.  
    Thanks! @Hoster05 Yeah that was part of the reason why I held on to it for so long. I knew I wasn't ever going to find a brand new Small BGE with warranty for $290 ever again. Just by chance my BGE friend called me the day I decided that I was going to sell off the XL and Small eggs. He said he'd buy my XL and he had a buyer for the Small a few hours later. So I never even had a chance to list them locally. Smalls are definitely a rare sighting around here and don't sell very well. 

Minnesota