Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The new FlameBoss 400

Options
Gravytrain84
Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
Looks like it was announced today. Will be a nice affordable option for an air controller. I’m looking forward to the reviews. 

https://www.flameboss.com/flame-boss-400-wifi-smoker-controller-now-taking-pre-orders.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/flameboss/videos/1735101386581136/

Comments

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Interesting.  It clocks in about $100 less than the current CyberQ kit.  It doesn't mention how many temp probes it supports and I'd be wary of the integrated blower grill adapters.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited July 2018
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Interesting.  It clocks in about $100 less than the current CyberQ kit.  It doesn't mention how many temp probes it supports and I'd be wary of the integrated blower grill adapters.
    Looks like 1 Pit 1 Food
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    baychilla said:
    Looks like 1 Pit 1 Food
    I believe that is how many are included not necessarily how many are supported.

Wish this option had been out there a month ago when I bought a Smobot.   Oh well.
    New Orleans LA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    That's a few bucks cheaper than the Kamado Joe iKamand which is also an "all-in-one" type of controller.

I think the iKamand has one pit probe and three food probes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I wonder why they chose to call it a "400" when it certainly appears to be a lower-end model than the 300?
    New Orleans LA
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Maybe the numbers are hardware iterations rather than the products standing in their ecosystem.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    I’m interested 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Some FB'ers noticed that BGE was NOT listed as a supported kamado.  Find that a little hard to believe and most likely a typo or omission, but I'm gonna wait a minute.  But color me interested!  
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I wonder how water-tight the new device is. 

With the FB200, it’s easy to keep the unit in a plastic box with the wires running out of it, to keep it from getting wet. 

I guess you could make a foil hood of some sort to keep it from getting wet. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    lkapigian said:
    baychilla said:
    Looks like 1 Pit 1 Food

Wish this option had been out there a month ago when I bought a Smobot.   Oh well.
    Want to sell your smobot? I’ll be your huckleberry. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    lkapigian said:
    baychilla said:
    Looks like 1 Pit 1 Food

Don't worry.  I have FB100, FB200, and a Smobot.  They are all great pieces of kit.  Customer service and temp control is great on all three.  Interface for FB200 and Smobot are comparable.  Can't go wrong with either company.

If the FB400 is waterproof and robust, it looks like a winning setup.  Very simple.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Tracebuzta
    Tracebuzta Posts: 23
    Options
    Only 1 probe is supported... 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Wifi only so no display. The fan should be generic and easy to replace (if you can solder a wire). Only having 1 probe would be a letdown. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Dondgc said:

Why?
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    Hi all, we appreciate all of the attention. I want to address two questions that have already been asked and am available to answer others.
    1. Model 400 will accommodate one pit and one meat probe. For those wanting to use more meat probes, stay tuned for future product releases.
    2. We do not include BGE on the fitment list because we are making a dedicated version for BGE. I will let BGE answer questions about this version. It is similar but not exactly the same as the Flame Boss branded version.
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    I will add a note about something not asked. It will function in AP mode for cases where an Internet wireless network is not available. You will be able to make a direct WiFi connection to your model 400. The app will be updated to support this capability.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    So @MichaelCollins will the BGE version be a BGE accessory and sold thru BGE Dealers?
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    So @MichaelCollins will the BGE version be a BGE accessory and sold thru BGE Dealers?
    Yes. It will.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    thanks @michaelcollins you said there would be a future product with multiple probes, how much in the future are you thinking?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• MichaelCollins
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    thanks @michaelcollins you said there would be a future product with multiple probes, how much in the future are you thinking?
    It's too early for me to project a launch date for any Flame Boss branded controller with more than one meat probe. Again, BGE will have to answer any questions about the BGE version.
  • NYcanuck
    NYcanuck Posts: 21
    Options
    Here's hoping that someone from BGE will chime in.  Just got my egg and was excited to hear about the FB400 but am now waiting to hear on the BGE branded version.
    DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2018
    Options
    NYcanuck said:
    Here's hoping that someone from BGE will chime in.  Just got my egg and was excited to hear about the FB400 but am now waiting to hear on the BGE branded version.
    Should be out any day.....I have 40 I'm waiting on for our store.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty sure the BGE version will cost more.

Since the connection is at the bottom of the kamado/egg it seems the probe wires must be pretty long to get to the meat.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NYcanuck
    Options
    I think I just saw the expected ship date on these move to the 14th - is that correct?  @MichaelCollins is the 14th pretty firm at this point?

Thanks!
    DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

• RickyB0bby
    Options
    Well crap, I bought one several weeks ago and just now read on here that it's not BGE "compatible"! Any possibility I can rig it somehow anyway when it comes in or am I SOL?
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Well crap, I bought one several weeks ago and just now read on here that it's not BGE "compatible"! Any possibility I can rig it somehow anyway when it comes in or am I SOL?
    You bought one what a couple weeks ago?  Any kamado version is compatible with the BGE.  The BGE version will just be green and thus takes more green to purchase.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    If you ever plan to move it between cookers like I do, the 300 is much more versable.  I put it in a waterproof junction box with plexiglas window on a hinge. Easy to move between grills(swap fans), and “plug n play” even in the rain!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Easy to move in this rack, and stores both fans and all probes! And it’s plugged into a gfci on a 3 wire cord!!!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @littlerascal56 Didn’t know Westinghouse made a smoker.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA