Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Kamado Grill

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Isn’t the kamado market pretty saturated as well? 

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?
    There are a crap load. Vision makes a lot, I think it’s pit boss at Costco, Viking was making them, Akron, blaze, Louisiana grills, sapphire, I believe I had seen one called pearl, Weber has the summit charcoal
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Lit said:

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?

I thought there were just 4 or so also but I met with the owner of  JJ George the other day for lunch and he said there are 16 ceramic grill style companies out there they have built tables for.  I was blown away that there were that many.

What was the owner of JJ George like? That's the brand of table I have for my XL. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Waiting for them to come up with something original 

BGE?

Phoenix 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Turnabout is fair play.....time for a Big Green Cooler!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I think Gatr's already beat them to it. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Turnabout is fair play.....time for a Big Green Cooler!!!
    Big Green Egg already has cooler made by Pelican. They just had "Big Green Egg" put on the cooler and raised the price even more.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Kinda dumb to be getting into the kamado market when the pellet droppers are all the rage these days. 
    I will make an assumption that RTIC has enough sense to see that market is getting oversaturated. Everyone is making pellet smokers now. They then probably looked at demographic studies on who buys their products and realized that even a $200 Rotomolded cooler is not being bought very often by the shall we say "lower income rung" of society.  So they said, "ok mostly the people buying high end rotomolded coolers are middle to upper middle class males making $100k+ a year. What other grills do we generally see those people buy? Ahh Kamado's, that's not a market that is oversaturated currently. Lets give it a try." Personally, I think its a gimmick. I can see them getting into outdoor equipment like fishing or hunting gear maybe even backpacks and tents. I think that if these actually do come to market they will sell well at 1st and then fade away. Unless they can prove the quality is superior and the price would have to be way cheaper. Plus as others have stated they would have to have a warranty at least close to lifetime. What this may do to benefit the market is give KJ and BGE a little competition and require that they lower their prices a bit in addition to including all the accessories. Look at what happened with the XXL. Noone was buying them at $2,999 so BGE said well we were making insane profit so lets redesign them slightly and drop the price by $1K. I bet the 2XL once it arrives in stores may start out selling the XL's.
    if i made a hundred thousand a year i would buy 2 more lake front properties and go from 4 to 6 eggs =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Kinda dumb to be getting into the kamado market when the pellet droppers are all the rage these days. 
    I will make an assumption that RTIC has enough sense to see that market is getting oversaturated. Everyone is making pellet smokers now. They then probably looked at demographic studies on who buys their products and realized that even a $200 Rotomolded cooler is not being bought very often by the shall we say "lower income rung" of society.  So they said, "ok mostly the people buying high end rotomolded coolers are middle to upper middle class males making $100k+ a year. What other grills do we generally see those people buy? Ahh Kamado's, that's not a market that is oversaturated currently. Lets give it a try." Personally, I think its a gimmick. I can see them getting into outdoor equipment like fishing or hunting gear maybe even backpacks and tents. I think that if these actually do come to market they will sell well at 1st and then fade away. Unless they can prove the quality is superior and the price would have to be way cheaper. Plus as others have stated they would have to have a warranty at least close to lifetime. What this may do to benefit the market is give KJ and BGE a little competition and require that they lower their prices a bit in addition to including all the accessories. Look at what happened with the XXL. Noone was buying them at $2,999 so BGE said well we were making insane profit so lets redesign them slightly and drop the price by $1K. I bet the 2XL once it arrives in stores may start out selling the XL's.
    if i made a hundred thousand a year i would buy 2 more lake front properties and go from 4 to 6 eggs =)
    Either you live in the cheapest real estate market on planet earth or you thought I said 1 Million a year. =)  A 100K a year salary in most major metro areas nowadays is not considered well off. That's something that doesn't get a lot of traction it seems. Don't get me wrong. $100K in the Dallas area can still go a long way depending on where you live here but you also aren't usually paying 2 car payments, a hefty mortgage,and college tuition for 2 kids with that kinda income. If you are you probably aren't living in a super nice area or you are living way out of town. Heck try living on $100k in the Bay Area or New York. You sure most likely aren't living the high life.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Fishless, you may problems, but I have a strong hunch that money isn’t one of them =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    blasting said:

BGE?

No I was talking about rtic, seems to me like they sit down in a board room as say “hey it seems like (enter successful product here) are selling well maybe we should make one of those and put our name on it”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Naw.  It needs to be a green RTIC with dimples.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

There are a crap load. Vision makes a lot, I think it’s pit boss at Costco, Viking was making them, Akron, blaze, Louisiana grills, sapphire, I believe I had seen one called pearl, Weber has the summit charcoal

Those are Kamado companies? Beyond Vision or Pitboss at Costco I've never seen any of those companies Kamado's. I would bet combined all of those companies you said above control less than 1% of all Kamado sales. That was more my point. Off the top of my head for Pellet Grills I can think of Traeger,Green Mountain, Pit Boss, Oklahoma Joes, and Camp Chef. Each of them control significant portions of the market. Traeger is probably the leader though.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SGH
    Options
    Lit said:
    Here is a few more that you can add to that list. 
    Kahuna Grills 
    Bayou Classic 
    Gorilla Grillz
    CharBroil 
    Pit Boss
    Cal Flame
    Hanover
    I could  probably think of a few more if I wasn’t busy shaving.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

BGE?

No I was talking about rtic, seems to me like they sit down in a board room as say “hey it seems like (enter successful product here) are selling well maybe we should make one of those and put our name on it”

No, I got it.  I was actually making a dig at BGE for their own rip off of their latest offerings.
    Phoenix 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I hear you I’ll try and keep up
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Man I stand corrected. The Kamado market is also oversaturated. =)

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Those are Kamado companies? Beyond Vision or Pitboss at Costco I've never seen any of those companies Kamado's. I would bet combined all of those companies you said above control less than 1% of all Kamado sales. That was more my point. Off the top of my head for Pellet Grills I can think of Traeger,Green Mountain, Pit Boss, Oklahoma Joes, and Camp Chef. Each of them control significant portions of the market. Traeger is probably the leader though.

Do you have a credible source for all these market share numbers you're spouting or are you just pulling them out of the air (not that there is anything wrong with that)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Fishless, you may problems, but I have a strong hunch that money isn’t one of them =)
    money is one thing i am not rich in,  i do very well on a low budget though.  theres so many have to have things in society that i have no need for B)
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Do you have a credible source for all these market share numbers you're spouting or are you just pulling them out of the air (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

Of course I don't have actual numbers. I don't work for Big Green Egg or Traeger. Quit busting people's balls over something so petty just to try and get a rise. My point was that other than 2 major players in the Kamado market everyone else is crumbs. As @DoubleEgger said earlier. Pellet grills are the new it thing. So naturally everyone wants a piece of that pie. Someone like RTIC probably has teams looking at this stuff and said "Hey, if we could build a Kamado grill the size of a big green egg and charge people $400 for it we could steal some sales from the #1 supplier in the market." Instead of saying "Hey if we built a pellet grill for $300 we maybe could steal small amounts from these Top 4 market suppliers".

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Is it safe to say that if the housing market is going crazy the grilling market will follow?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Either you live in the cheapest real estate market on planet earth or you thought I said 1 Million a year. =)  A 100K a year salary in most major metro areas nowadays is not considered well off. That's something that doesn't get a lot of traction it seems. Don't get me wrong. $100K in the Dallas area can still go a long way depending on where you live here but you also aren't usually paying 2 car payments, a hefty mortgage,and college tuition for 2 kids with that kinda income. If you are you probably aren't living in a super nice area or you are living way out of town. Heck try living on $100k in the Bay Area or New York. You sure most likely aren't living the high life.
    i am mostly an extreme minimalist, last truck lasted me just under 30 years. my neighborhood is on a lake 20 minutes to boston and is mostly 750k prices, mine is certainly  not.  my camp is on sebago lake, biggest vacation lake in maine, full house and garages, boat ramp,docks, boats etc.   part owner in a beach house with private beach front.  give me another 50k a year and see what i can do B) its not how much you make, its what you can do with it. definitely a "lower income rung" of society member. ill be up saturday at 4 am, salmon rods out, drinking starts at noon and food prep for a sebago days feast, town displays the fireworks directly over my house, there will be a crowd there, practically the whole neighborhood =) what will the rich kids be doing B)
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Is it safe to say that if the housing market is going crazy the grilling market will follow?
    Out where I live houses are going up faster than the grass is growing and the number of BBQ stores being built and advertised in the area is increasing. Funny though when driving by many neighborhoods you can see in peoples backyards and the % of people that don't have grills seems a lot larger than the % that does. The ones that do usually have a standard weber kettle or one of those crappy red and black square ones from walmart that will rust out after a year or 2.

• SGH
    Options
    To a degree yes. When people have more money to spend on homes, they usually have more money to spend on “want” items as well. I know that is not 100% across the board for everyone, but overall it’s pretty accurate. 

Status- Standing by.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    i am mostly an extreme minimalist, last truck lasted me just under 30 years. my neighborhood is on a lake 20 minutes to boston and is mostly 750k prices, mine is certainly  not.  my camp is on sebago lake, biggest vacation lake in maine, full house and garages, boat ramp,docks, boats etc.   part owner in a beach house with private beach front.  give me another 50k a year and see what i can do B) its not how much you make, its what you can do with it. definitely a "lower income rung" of society member. ill be up saturday at 4 am, salmon rods out, drinking starts at noon and food prep for a sebago days feast, town displays the fireworks directly over my house, there will be a crowd there, practically the whole neighborhood =) what will the rich kids be doing B)

I like it. But I would say you aren't the norm =). My 4runner is 13 years old and I wanna get at least a couple more years out of it. But that's because I don't want 2 car payments at once. Most people live way way beyond their means with massive credit card debt and 2 car payments stretching 7 or even now 8 years just so they can say they drive the Platinum F150. They also have credit scores of 600. These are the people that will charge that Yeti 110 to their credit card and then brag to their friends when all they had to do was buy the RTIC =)

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Of course I don't have actual numbers. I don't work for Big Green Egg or Traeger. Quit busting people's balls over something so petty just to try and get a rise. My point was that other than 2 major players in the Kamado market everyone else is crumbs. As @DoubleEgger said earlier. Pellet grills are the new it thing. So naturally everyone wants a piece of that pie. Someone like RTIC probably has teams looking at this stuff and said "Hey, if we could build a Kamado grill the size of a big green egg and charge people $400 for it we could steal some sales from the #1 supplier in the market." Instead of saying "Hey if we built a pellet grill for $300 we maybe could steal small amounts from these Top 4 market suppliers".
    MAK, rec-tec, yoder, memphis grills, cookshack

Little Rock, AR

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

I've seen Akorns (Char-Griller) at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart within the past 4 months.  I'm pretty sure that I saw them at Target last year.  I'd bet they have >1% based on big box saturation alone.

Home Depot by itself has 33 options for kamado grills online, from 9 different manufacturers.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Acn said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

I've seen Akorns (Char-Griller) at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart within the past 4 months.  I'm pretty sure that I saw them at Target last year.  I'd bet they have >1% based on big box saturation alone.

Home Depot by itself has 33 options for kamado grills online, from 9 different manufacturers.  

But what does Bed Bath and Beyond have?