Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Kamado Grill

Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
I didn't see any threads on it already. Saw an announcement on the RTIC Facebook page that they are releasing a Kamado grill this Fall (which means next spring). They posted up a video clip of it in use. Big RTIC name embossed in the dome. The grate is a rounded square shape and the whole thing looks like maybe the size of a small BGE. Also looks like a center circle grate comes out of the bigger grate. Maybe to add more wood chunks for smoking? No price yet but they said they are sticking with their half price slogan. 
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2018

Saw that this AM.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Looks more like a primo than an egg
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RTIC is known to change their warranty from 7 years to 90 days on their coolers. I'm not going to buy a ceramic grill from them with that track record like that. I hope it's the next big grill on the market. 

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I wonder if it's ceramic or more like an acorn (insulated)
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Maybe it's rotomolded. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i see a square ceramic grill being prone to cracking =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Waiting for them to come up with something original 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Supposedly they are kicking up their outdoor equipment game. Camping gear of all types is supposedly in the works, and I have to admit, I am a bit curious on how this might turn out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Is it April already?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I wonder if it's ceramic or more like an acorn (insulated)
    It's ceramic.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Like some of the other ceramic grills on the market, I do like the recessed channel for the bands.
    It's also hard to tell from the above photo but it looks like they might have moved the main band bolts to the side instead of being in the back next to the high stress area of the main rear hinges.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    It might be the angle of the photo, but I don't like how shallow the dome is. The old XL was kind of like that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    DMW said:
    It might be the angle of the photo, but I don't like how shallow the dome is. The old XL was kind of like that.

That's crazy shallow unless the grate sits further down lower in the unit. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    DMW said:
    Agreed. I’ve seen several older eggs that were like that. There’s a reason it was changed...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    DMW said:
    Agreed. I’ve seen several older eggs that were like that. There’s a reason it was changed...
    Its the angle, you are seeing how tall the dome is from the band up. Which does make it look shallow. Look at it from where it opens, actually looks like a pretty tall dome to me.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Kinda dumb to be getting into the kamado market when the pellet droppers are all the rage these days. 
  • Photo Egg
    Video helps. I did see 4 springs in the back.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    @SGH - which lather do you think the dude opening the lid used to shave his arms? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    SonVolt said:
    @SGH - which lather do you think the dude opening the lid used to shave his arms? 
    If I was a gambling man I would put my money on Cremo Original or Proraso Green. It’s what most “body” and “parts” shavers use. They both provide good protection at a reasonable price. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Kinda dumb to be getting into the kamado market when the pellet droppers are all the rage these days. 
    I will make an assumption that RTIC has enough sense to see that market is getting oversaturated. Everyone is making pellet smokers now. They then probably looked at demographic studies on who buys their products and realized that even a $200 Rotomolded cooler is not being bought very often by the shall we say "lower income rung" of society.  So they said, "ok mostly the people buying high end rotomolded coolers are middle to upper middle class males making $100k+ a year. What other grills do we generally see those people buy? Ahh Kamado's, that's not a market that is oversaturated currently. Lets give it a try." Personally, I think its a gimmick. I can see them getting into outdoor equipment like fishing or hunting gear maybe even backpacks and tents. I think that if these actually do come to market they will sell well at 1st and then fade away. Unless they can prove the quality is superior and the price would have to be way cheaper. Plus as others have stated they would have to have a warranty at least close to lifetime. What this may do to benefit the market is give KJ and BGE a little competition and require that they lower their prices a bit in addition to including all the accessories. Look at what happened with the XXL. Noone was buying them at $2,999 so BGE said well we were making insane profit so lets redesign them slightly and drop the price by $1K. I bet the 2XL once it arrives in stores may start out selling the XL's.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Isn’t the kamado market pretty saturated as well? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Lit said:

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Lit said:
    Kind of agree with you. Seems like the company sitting pretty right now is Weber with their basic kettle grills. All the companies seem to changing gears towards Kamado and Pellet. Even the cheaper so called knock off grills are getting away from Kettle style leaving Weber to dominate this area as they always have.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    Pellet grills are so saturated right now that my brother snagged a brand new Traeger off the end of someone's driveway last week that had a "Free" sign on it. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
     I wonder what that guy did....
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Lit said:

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?

I thought there were just 4 or so also but I met with the owner of  JJ George the other day for lunch and he said there are 16 ceramic grill style companies out there they have built tables for.  I was blown away that there were that many.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!