Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef and Boat

Options
The wifey’s sister and family are in town. 

A local butcher had a beef tenderloin half. Perfect size. Rubbed with some prime rib rub from a previous exchange to give it a little bolder flavor. Waiting to be called to action. 

Used a mandoline to slice potatoes 1/16” thick for scalloped potatoes. I was looking to have more of a mashed potato texture hence the usually thin slices. Boiled in heavy cream and spices, then topped with some fresh grated smoked gruyere to give the “crisp” that the wifey likes. 

Doing some prep work for the evening. 

This is Georgia folks....

Had to pull out the heavy iron to take care of business. B’ham #14 (15”) doing work. #noblackstonerequired

Got the medium rolling with Rockwood and some charred white oak barrel chunks from my favorite birthday hippie @northGAcock

Beef cooked raised direct at 200-225 until 100IT and then ran the temp up to 400 to finish it off. Pulled at 124IT. The medium with a KAB is hot little firecracker. It revs like a Ferrari. 

Potatoes ready and waiting with the wifey approved crisp

The plated pic 

My nieces wanted to go for a boat ride after dinner. The birthday girl wanted to go “real fast”. Pure joy. 

Wrapped up the evening with some birthday cake. 

Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great looking meal and I'm sure the company was even better. It looks like fun times were had all around 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great cook, and it’s looks like an amazing time!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Perfectly cooked beef right there boss. Nicely done!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Beautiful meal and better memories made. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Awesome meal there man.  Plus boating.  #winning.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    That beef is spot on! Sides look great too.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice meal and the looks of a great evening 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    That plated pic is most impressive.  Now that is a banquet- I don't recall that far into the past but I assure you I never had any youth B'day banquet like that!!
    And the boat-ride for the win.
    You definitely set the bar way up there.  No pressure for B'day #5.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Looks like you had every part of that meal dialed right in.  Looks great. Nicely done.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Great looking cook! Looks like a memorable time for your nieces!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That meal looks PERFECT.  WOW -- mouthwatering!

And the happy little girl looks adorable!  Happy Birthday!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That looks beautiful Michael. Nice cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Epic!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Awesome cook Brother...  Beef spot on as well as the rest...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Great steak, girls are cute as a button.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. We had to go real fast and swim today. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That looks sooooooo good. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Is it dumb that I’m most impressed with the picture of the charcoal bag?  Proof that you grabbed the correct string to separate sides...I can NOT do that.  

You’re my hero for multiple reasons

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Is it dumb that I’m most impressed with the picture of the charcoal bag?  Proof that you grabbed the correct string to separate sides...I can NOT do that.  

You’re my hero for multiple reasons
    He does that all the time. He’s like a charcoal bag savant or something. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice cook. 

And extra credit for making your little niece’s bday a memorable one. You can tell by the look on her face. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'll be bringing the kids over for their birthdays now!  Just a fair warning.  I'll bring my squirt bottles I guess. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    You’re living a blessed life 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The wifey’s sister and family are in town. 

A local butcher had a beef tenderloin half. Perfect size. Rubbed with some prime rib rub from a previous exchange to give it a little bolder flavor. Waiting to be called to action. 

Used a mandoline to slice potatoes 1/16” thick for scalloped potatoes. I was looking to have more of a mashed potato texture hence the usually thin slices. Boiled in heavy cream and spices, then topped with some fresh grated smoked gruyere to give the “crisp” that the wifey likes. 

Doing some prep work for the evening. 

This is Georgia folks....

Had to pull out the heavy iron to take care of business. B’ham #14 (15”) doing work. #noblackstonerequired

Got the medium rolling with Rockwood and some charred white oak barrel chunks from my favorite birthday hippie @northGAcock

Beef cooked raised direct at 200-225 until 100IT and then ran the temp up to 400 to finish it off. Pulled at 124IT. The medium with a KAB is hot little firecracker. It revs like a Ferrari. 

Potatoes ready and waiting with the wifey approved crisp

The plated pic 

My nieces wanted to go for a boat ride after dinner. The birthday girl wanted to go “real fast”. Pure joy. 

Wrapped up the evening with some birthday cake. 

Thanks for looking. 

Appreciate the shoutout on the lump. Havn’t seen it since I aquired about a year and a half ago. Looks like it played an assist roll in a beautiful meal.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Fantastic!  You’re a most excellent host, sir.  I wanna have my birthday party at your house too. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Fantastic!  You’re a most excellent host, sir.  I wanna have my birthday party at your house too. 
    As long as you bring some sausage gravy! 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I would like this post twice if it would let me!  Incredible...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow! Awesome day right there. That tenderloin looks incredible. I would sleep with those taters. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No idea how I missed this. That's just living right. The smile on birthday girl's face says it all. You're a good uncle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker