Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRIMahawk Ribeye

Options
thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,357
edited July 2018 in Beef
Sam’s USDA Choice.  Not a bad price for a cut that’s hard to find in my AO.  

Had a little bit of hard fat to trim off.  

Heavily salted and into the fridge until tomorrow.  I’ll probably put this on  to enjoy while watching Croatia v France tomorrow.  
I’ll report next steps as they happen.  
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Nice. How much does salting it help? Aging it?
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @thetrim Looks like a banquet waiting to happen.  Enjoy.
    @Matt86m - give "dry brining" a look when you can.
    Below is a link to one article on the subject:
    https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-steak-even-tastier-use-the-dry-brining-method/  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • thetrim
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap for providing that link.  I met Jess at this year's Sunshine State Eggfest and she talked a little about this.  This will be my first time doing this on a thick ribeye.  I can't wait the 72 hours, so it will right around 26 for me.

When I take it out, I was going to add and little ground pepper and some Jess Pryles' Black to it.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @thetrim - sounds great.  The dry brining does make a positive difference.  Enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Options
    I've been spoiled by the last few times I did this.  I had a prime ribeye that I just brought home from the butcher shop and reverse seared the same day.  This steak has no where near the marbling those did, so I thought this would be a good try.  Jess did mention that you either salt/season right before you put it on, or you at least have to wait a few hours.  in that piece, she mentions less than 10 mins and more than 60.  I really salted the heck out of this one, so I was going to give it a wipe off - not a rinse - just a wipe off before re-seasoning.

I'll report back tomorrow, sir!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Dang - that’s gonna be good eating!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    thetrim said:

Good job finding Choice Anus!  I've only ever seen select.  
    Scottie would be proud.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looking forward to the after pics.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    edited July 2018
    Options
    thetrim said:

Good job finding Choice Anus!  I've only ever seen select.  
    @JohnInCarolina , #F'IN_Brilliant!  I wish I could say I planned it that way!  I just saw your message and I may need a new keyboard. @SGH Scottie would be soooo proud!!!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Looking good @thetrim
    Thanks, bro.  Hope I don't f it up and get on it before World Cup induced LEO hits me!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @thetrim - surely you can manage LEO.  The WC final will finish no later than 2 PM (EDT).  You can return to earth in plenty of time to sort out the protein cook.  Or just "Da-n the torpedoes" approach and not hit the escape velocity accelerant until the cook is finished.  You have a great day ahead-sit back, relax and be the show =)
  • thetrim
    Options
    Thanks for the confidence @lousubcap!

Your message shook my mind to remember one of my favorite CLUTCH songs has the lyrics:

Ahead one thirds (ahead one thirds)
    Ahead two thirds (ahead two thirds)
    Full ahead flank
    And out from the belly of a whale came a prophet.
    Amen.

I can only hope to be so lucky.  Those lines along with multiple Crimson Tide showings gives we a healthy respect for you Seamen!

My one saving grace may be that I put such a dent in the Trim Strategic Suds Reserve today that there might NOT be enough available to hit escape velocity tomorrow.

That TRIMahawk ribeye will be swimming in someone's stomach NLT 1300.  I have a couple skirt steaks ready to go if I am still standing for supper time.

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You've gotta work on your low-level alarm set-point.  I would dial it up by at least a case.  Enjoy the day.
  • thetrim
    Options
    My beer fridge looks like it got scavenged by a group of pirates last night. I’ll be easing into LEO today.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    This is what it looks like after about 26 hours.  I wish I could give it more time.  Better planning next time. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    thetrim said:
    This is what it looks like after about 26 hours.  I wish I could give it more time.  Better planning next time. 
    That looks like it got some good drying in the fridge, whenever I do that the sear comes out so much better and in less time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for finale ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Are you ever gonna cook the f'er? =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Getting ready for the sear portion of today’s events. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    What's with the aromatics in the fire?? Caveman for the finish??
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    @lousubcap yes sir.  I have an overgrown rosemary bush so I added a bunch to the fire. 
    I don’t think it made any difference, but it made the lanai smell a little Better.  I did go caveman for the finish.  Seventy two seconds per side. The egg made it up to around 600 by that time. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks perfect.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95