Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Wagyu Steak

Home alone for the evening. Figured I would spoil myself. Cooked potatoes under a reverse seared Wagyu New York Strip. Seasoned potatoes with salt pepper,thyme, fresh garlic and evoo. Reverse seared the steak at 275 and then removed the plate setter and cooked on each side for 1min at 600. Perfect medium rare. Man, Wagyu makes a huge difference. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Now that is bringing it home.  If I could produce that outcome every time I would invite SWMBO to take every Friday night off and spend time in whatever environment served the purpose.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Beautiful steak!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great. Now, don't take this next part wrong, I'm going to be pedantic.

Reverse seared the steak at 275 and then removed the plate setter and cooked on each side for 1min at 600.
    Reverse searing refers to the complete process of gentle cooking under low heat, followed by a hot sear. What you did was slow roast or smoke at 275, followed by sear. You did not reverse sear at 275, and then cook at 600.

I've seen this nomenclature used before, and it's always bugged me for some reason.

Again, it is unimportant, and I'm being pedantic.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    DMW said:

Reverse seared the steak at 275 and then removed the plate setter and cooked on each side for 1min at 600.
    Reverse searing refers to the complete process of gentle cooking under low heat, followed by a hot sear. What you did was slow roast or smoke at 275, followed by sear. You did not reverse sear at 275, and then cook at 600.

I've seen this nomenclature used before, and it's always bugged me for some reason.

Well let me clarify a bit then. It was around 225-250 for most of the hour or so that I kept it low. I bumped it up the last 20min or so to 275. Then seared for a total of 2 min. That’s not considered reverse sear? What low temp would be considered reverse sear then?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    edited July 2018
    @DMW- It's Friday night and the end-result was non-pedantic worthy.  Perhaps start a thread where we can debate what is a true reverse sear and please address where cave-man finish fits within(or out) your concept.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW said:

Well let me clarify a bit then. It was around 225-250 for most of the hour or so that I kept it low. I bumped it up the last 20min or so to 275. Then seared for a total of 2 min. That’s not considered reverse sear? What low temp would be considered reverse sear then?
    Oh, that was reverse sear, the complete process of first cooking indirect at 200-300ish, and then searing, that is reverse sear. The first portion of indirect heat at a low temp, that is just slow roasting or smoking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    I’d hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Well whatever it was. It was in the top 5 best steaks I’ve eaten in my life.

• DMW
    Looks great again, and terminology of the process really is unimportant, as I mentioned earlier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    That looks just plain spectacular!  Looks like you completely nailed it with that luxury piece of meat.  Wow!  Just Wow!
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Regardless of reverse sear or not , that looks awesome.  Nice job!
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Nailed it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Beautiful marbling and beautiful result!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great looking steak... but; based on the picture you posted, looks more like a nice prime grade rather than a Wagyu grade. Hope they didn’t charge you Wagyu price for that... either way I’d destroy that plate. 
  • Well hell, you didn’t reverse sear it and it doesn’t look like wagyu, I’d gag myself and throw that bastard back up and start over. 

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    DMW said:

Kenji is that you? I’ve seen him make this same claim before to try and take ownership of the term since he first popularized it back when he worked for CI. Personally I disagree and think the term has been adopted by the public and evolved enough that searing after the interior is up to temp is enough to qualify for “reverse sear”. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    That looks amazing! I don't care what you call the process, that's a great result! I have never had the opportunity to purchase Wagyu. Prime is a rare where I am. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited July 2018
    Isn’t there some sort of registry for pedantics?
    Steak looks great, btw. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    jeffwit said:
    Isn’t there some sort of registry for pedantics?
    Steak looks great, btw. 
    Eight year olds, Dude.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    pedantiphile....is that a word?

looks great, man.  I'd tear it up.

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:

Kenji is that you? I’ve seen him make this same claim before to try and take ownership of the term since he first popularized it back when he worked for CI. Personally I disagree and think the term has been adopted by the public and evolved enough that searing after the interior is up to temp is enough to qualify for “reverse sear”. 
    Dwayne’s comment is a reference to redundancy, nothing more.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    hapster said:
    Great looking steak... but; based on the picture you posted, looks more like a nice prime grade rather than a Wagyu grade. Hope they didn’t charge you Wagyu price for that... either way I’d destroy that plate. 

It’s wagyu. It’s not top level obviously but it’s certified wagyu. They are rated in the top 3 butchers in dallas. I doubt they would risk lying to thousands of customers. They get them from here. https://heartbrandbeef.com/ 

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:

Too many Zimas tonight, you may be right. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    hapster said:

It’s wagyu. It’s not top level obviously but it’s certified wagyu. They are rated in the top 3 butchers in dallas. I doubt they would risk lying to thousands of customers. They get them from here. https://heartbrandbeef.com/ 
    Not raining on your parade... that steak looks similar to some prime cuts I can get around here in PA. Obviously we aren’t a beef capital like Dallas, but Wagyu up here is way more marbled and at least 2X the price per lb. Either way, enjoy your steak... 
  • JohnInCarolina
    SonVolt said:

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:

Too many Zimas tonight. I think you’re right. 
    LOL man I really cannot believe you tracked that stuff down AND drank some of it.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    hapster said:
    hapster said:

Not raining on your parade... that steak looks similar to some prime cuts I can get around here in PA. Obviously we aren’t a beef capital like Dallas, but Wagyu up here is way more marbled and at least 2X the price per lb. Either way, enjoy your steak... 
    oh I’m not mad. Like I said, Top 5 steaks I’ve ever eaten so I don’t really care about whether it was a true reverse sear or even if it’s a A1 level wagyu steak. It’s churning in my full belly now so money well spent.

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    SonVolt said:

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:

LOL man I really cannot believe you tracked that stuff down AND drank some of it.

It was the first thing I ever got drunk off of back in high school before moving on to Boons and St Ides. It’ll always have a special place in my heart. 
  • DMW
    hapster said:
    hapster said:

oh I’m not mad. Like I said, Top 5 steaks I’ve ever eaten so I don’t really care about whether it was a true reverse sear or even if it’s a A1 level wagyu steak. It’s churning in my full belly now so money well spent.
    It WAS reverse seared. Not sure how my pedantic comment became so misconstrued as to think I said it wasn't. The *first* portion of the process where you cooked it indirect between 200* - 300*, that portion of the process was not "reverse sear", that was simply slow roasting or smoking. Slow roasting or smoking, followed by a sear, is reverse sear.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:

First thing I ever got drunk off as a late teen. It’ll always have a special place in my heart. 
    With or without Jolly Ranchers?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Look, just because he buys his wagyu at bed, bath, and beyond doesnt mean its NOT wagyu. 

Little Rock, AR