Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What is Your Current Favorite Bourbon and/or Whisk(e)y-OT

Options

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:
     After touring the Four Roses distillery I was turned off, also owned by overseas companies 

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the Japanese essential resurrect Four Roses back to top shelf where it belongs? For years it had been relegated to bottom of the barrel piss. 
    I seem to remember that from an article I read.  So looked it up and you're right:  (from wikiwikiwikiwhaaat?!)

The brand was purchased by Seagram in 1943. It was the top selling brand of bourbon in the United States in the 1930s, 40s and 50s.[5] Around the end of the 1950s, despite the popularity of the brand, Seagram decided to discontinue the sale of Four Roses Bourbon within the United States in order to focus on sales of blended whiskey, although they introduced other brands of straight bourbons in the 1960s and 70s such as Benchmark and Eagle Rare.[5] Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon marketing was shifted to Europe and Asia, which were rapidly growing markets at the time. In these markets, it became the top selling bourbon.[5] In the United States during this period, the Four Roses name was used on a blended whiskey, made mostly of neutral grain spirits and commonly seen as a sub-par "rotgut" brand.[6][7] Four Roses continued to be unavailable as a straight bourbon in the US market for more than forty years until the brand ownership changed in 2002 after Seagram was purchased by Vivendi, and then sold most of its brands to Diageo, which sold the Four Roses brand to Kirin, who discontinued the sale of blended whiskey to focus exclusively on Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.[5]

Ah ha, so I wasn't completely wrong this time.  I think I heard their backstory on NPR a few months back. I may pick up a bottle and see if these Japs are on to something. Preemptive apologies to the couple of morons who think I'm racist. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes!  NPR, that's where I heard it. 
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
     After touring the Four Roses distillery I was turned off, also owned by overseas companies 

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the Japanese essential resurrect Four Roses back to top shelf where it belongs? For years it had been relegated to bottom of the barrel piss. 
    I'm not sure resurrected is the right word. I believe it was always rot gut until the Japanese purchased it. It was first sold to Seagram's (Canadian) but since they weren't yellow I guess it was okay to drink. 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Haven't seen it mentioned here so I will throw out Widow Jane 10yr Bourbon. Love the stuff. Reminds me of Stagg. A little pricey at $69.99 a bottle but darned tasty. Made with water from the limestone caves of the Widow Jane Mines in NY.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    they probably just filled seagram 7 into the four roses bottles... sneaky canadians =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited July 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:

For the record: Basil Hayden.

Current BOC: Old Forrester, Bottled in Bond.

@nolaegghead

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Evan Williams, and I will gladly raise a glass or two with you anytime. Bourbon of the year, 2015. I prefer it to some of the boutique bourbons, out there, by far.
    I've been eyeing a bottle of Old Forrester, Bottled in Bond at my local liquor store. You just cost me $50, you magnificent SOB.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Zima
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Just received a text from my son who is into bourbon.  He has built up a solid relationship with a couple of the local smaller liquor store owners.  Anyhow he just grabbed me a 1.75 L of Eagle Rare for $ 58.  I have been throttling my limited supply but all is well now.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yes!  NPR, that's where I heard it. 
    The warehouses storing the 1792 was designed by Georgia Tech Grads. Shocking it stood this long...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dharley said:
    YukonRon said:

@nolaegghead

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Evan Williams, and I will gladly raise a glass or two with you anytime. Bourbon of the year, 2015. I prefer it to some of the boutique bourbons, out there, by far.
    I've been eyeing a bottle of Old Forrester, Bottled in Bond at my local liquor store. You just cost me $50, you magnificent SOB.
    I really feel bad about it. No. Not really.
    All these fuggers on here cost me thousands....you will see.....buying a bge was the least expensive part of this journey.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Evan Williams Black Label. 
    @nolaegghead   troglodyte!  ;) I will confess that floating around my garage in some deep dark corner I could probably dig up a handle of George Dickel White Label. 

You know what they say, “a lil Dickel do you right”

ugh. Rebel Yell. We drank that at UT. Like $8-10 a bottle. 
    Or was that one of the bubblehead mottos @CTMike hit you with at BBIII?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A jack and coke is my go to.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    dharley said:
    YukonRon said:

@nolaegghead

All these fuggers on here cost me thousands....you will see.....buying a bge was the least expensive part of this journey.
    Turned out to be an $82 run. I also grabbed a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that was recommended by another friend. I'm still blaming the entire bill on you, however.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dharley said:
    YukonRon said:
    dharley said:
    YukonRon said:

@nolaegghead

Turned out to be an $82 run. I also grabbed a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that was recommended by another friend. I'm still blaming the entire bill on you, however.
    I have broad shoulders, I will carry it proudly.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    Haven't seen it mentioned here so I will throw out Widow Jane 10yr Bourbon. Love the stuff. Reminds me of Stagg. A little pricey at $69.99 a bottle but darned tasty. Made with water from the limestone caves of the Widow Jane Mines in NY.
    Duly marked, but don't expect me to drop by with a bottle of Widow Jane 10 year any day soon! =)

BTW today I was cleaning our garage freezer before a replacement that Shermans will deliver on Saturday. I was SO HAPPY to find a quadruple bagged package of Witchy Red that has been in there for 2 years now! I only use it on pork burgers now so as to not "waste it" on chicken or other pork cooks!

Also Pat says to enjoy your Summer "vacation"!!! And tell your Dad hi from both of us as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,662
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    SonVolt said:

I'm not sure resurrected is the right word. I believe it was always rot gut until the Japanese purchased it. It was first sold to Seagram's (Canadian) but since they weren't yellow I guess it was okay to drink. 

I don’t know about all that... well I do now!  
     When we went to makers mark 10 or so years ago they gave us a awesome tour and tasting, the mash tuns, stills, bottle dipping and tasting you could even buy part of a barrel and they would call you when it was ready.
       We pulled into buffalo trace late one night and (called ahead) they said they would stay open for us no problem, we did not do a tour but I thought that was super cool, everyone was nice and gave us tasters.
       We went to four roses and they sat us down to watch a video that told the four roses story, and now that you mention it I vaguely remember their rags to riches tale.   There was no tour and the video seemed more about marketing than history. Employees clearly weren’t passionate about their product.
     Maybe I am nuts!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So is it pronounced Bull-et or Bull-A? Asking for a friend. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    So is it pronounced Bullet or Bull-aye? Asking for a friend. 
    That sounds French.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    It's pronounced George Dickle. Rymes with pickle. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Burning Chair is my current favorite. 

Jefferson Ocean, despite the hype and marketing, is good. 

Jack Daniels Sinatra

Blanton's (I need an O to complete the set)

For everyday sipping, Jefferson or Woodford. 

I have a Pappy's bottle I take a shot out of on New Years Eve with whatever other bourbon drinkers are around. After 3 years it’s half full. Very nice, but not sure it’s worth the price. It sits in a custom case I made out of bourbon barrel staves. 
    TJ - Certified Bourbon Steward

Options
    SonVolt said:
    Zima

Little Rock, AR

• StPeteRob
    StPeteRob Posts: 6
    Options
    The Dalmore Cigar Malt or King Alex for me. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

I seem to remember that from an article I read.  So looked it up and you're right:  (from wikiwikiwikiwhaaat?!)

The brand was purchased by Seagram in 1943. It was the top selling brand of bourbon in the United States in the 1930s, 40s and 50s.[5] Around the end of the 1950s, despite the popularity of the brand, Seagram decided to discontinue the sale of Four Roses Bourbon within the United States in order to focus on sales of blended whiskey, although they introduced other brands of straight bourbons in the 1960s and 70s such as Benchmark and Eagle Rare.[5] Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon marketing was shifted to Europe and Asia, which were rapidly growing markets at the time. In these markets, it became the top selling bourbon.[5] In the United States during this period, the Four Roses name was used on a blended whiskey, made mostly of neutral grain spirits and commonly seen as a sub-par "rotgut" brand.[6][7] Four Roses continued to be unavailable as a straight bourbon in the US market for more than forty years until the brand ownership changed in 2002 after Seagram was purchased by Vivendi, and then sold most of its brands to Diageo, which sold the Four Roses brand to Kirin, who discontinued the sale of blended whiskey to focus exclusively on Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.[5]

Ah ha, so I wasn't completely wrong this time.  I think I heard their backstory on NPR a few months back. I may pick up a bottle and see if these Japs are on to something. Preemptive apologies to the couple of morons who think I'm racist. 
    Pretty classy guy to use another racial slur on this forum. Disturbing when this creep PMs you to tell you that it was intentionally aimed at me. 

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Pretty classy guy to use another racial slur on this forum. Disturbing when this creep PMs you to tell you that it was intentionally aimed at me. 

Lol. Nice job posting a private conversation. I'd expect that from my 12 year old niece.  I guess if we're going to be catty I'll play that game.  Did you forget to take a screenshot of the 1st message where I tried to clear the air between us and you blew me off?  If you're going to post a private conversation out of context at least be honest about it. 

Maybe we can pull each other's hair next?

---------------------------------

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just received a text from my son who is into bourbon.  He has built up a solid relationship with a couple of the local smaller liquor store owners.  Anyhow he just grabbed me a 1.75 L of Eagle Rare for $ 58.  I have been throttling my limited supply but all is well now.  
    local Jewel routinely carries Eagle Rare, regular size bottles, for about $35.  Hard to beat that.

Current fav is bulleit rye with a big chunk of ice.  delicious.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    how does one have a collection of half drunk bottles, my empty collection by the trash is always larger than the one or two bottles on the counter =)

where does the eagle rare stand on sweetness, i see the nh liquores has a stockpile, i just dont like the sweet bourbons like woodford or makers. is it drier like a bulleit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I used to post on a whisky forum...one thing I learned from the experts is that when a bottle is half full or less, the taste starts to deteriorate quickly and at an accelerated pace because of all the oxygen overhead.

Will it last 6 months in all it's glory? Maybe, probably not...depending on how discriminating your taste buds are.  Will it last a year? Not if you really and truly want the full  and intended flavour.

FWIW.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    how does one have a collection of half drunk bottles, my empty collection by the trash is always larger than the one or two bottles on the counter =)

where does the eagle rare stand on sweetness, i see the nh liquores has a stockpile, i just dont like the sweet bourbons like woodford or makers. is it drier like a bulleit
    @fishlessman I wish I had a better palate for bourbon and could tell you from memory! However in the interest of helping a guy out I will taste test it against makers mark and whatever else I can find in my closet. I don’t have bulleit bourbon to taste it against, might have to try some!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle