Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican-Grilled Shrimp with Smoky Sweet Sauce

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
@GregW posted this recipe once, and I finally tried it, and it was really good!  I think I messed it up a little, in that the glaze was only supposed to cook for 5 minutes, and I left it on low for half an hour or more, and I think some of the flavors sort of cooked away.  The tartness of the tamarind was much more noticeable when I first tasted it than on the shrimp when cooked, and I wound up squeezing a little lime juice over the plate to put back some of that zip, and it was really good.  Another time I'l make sure to cook it less.  It was delicious, though, and my wife said she loved it.

Mexican-Grilled Shrimp with Smoky Sweet Sauce

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Looks amazing!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    You had me at Mexican!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice! The sauce sounds outstanding. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks amazing. I love shrimp, and when I get started I never seem to make enough. I will try this, soon.
    Beautiful cook and oresentation.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments!  :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great cook and recipe.  Nailed the shrimp and that is a small window to hit.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Awesome cook, what size shrimp do you use?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love shrimp, and would devour those! Great looking cook.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Theophan
    Options
    Awesome cook, what size shrimp do you use?
    We don't usually have a lot of options in local, wild-caught shrimp, and I rarely make up my mind about what I'm going to cook enough in advance to buy frozen shrimp, so I'm at the mercy of whatever they have thawed.  Usually they have several options of non-local, non-wild-caught shrimp, but the local (or at least East Coast) wild-caught shrimp are medium.  I don't want to mess with peeling smaller shrimp, and medium's fine with me.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Looks great. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend. Did I read that right, you grilled the shrimp for 30 minutes? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Great Cook! So authentic they need a wall around them  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Theophan
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Looks great. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend. Did I read that right, you grilled the shrimp for 30 minutes? 
    Oh my goodness!  No!  :)  I simmered the sauce for 30 minutes at least, might have been longer, and I think that killed some of the flavor.

I don't like overcooked shrimp, but I like to get a bit of a char on them and they cook really fast, which means it's really hard to find the line between done and overdone.  To get a bit of char I like to cook shrimp pretty hot, usually around 500°, but not long at all, a minute or two a side.  I never time them, just kinda look at what they look like.  These might have gotten a little bit over, but they were still good.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Looks great, shrimp is a sure way for me to get my wife on board for some grilling.  She likes everything I make on the egg but can get a little impatient with a baby and toddler so this looks like a winner for those times when I can’t go low and slow.

Did some the other night and they would have been even better with that sauce..