Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

summer party duties beef plate ribs; check

Apparently after having some brisket on a stick on my last party which was the first time I made them and they were a crowd favorite thank you @ColtsFan for the inspiration and @lousubcap for the recipe, I was asked in a round about way to make them for a Bday party tonight

summoner: Hey Michael are you and your wife coming to the surprise party this Friday
Me: absolutely I hope the weather holds out for you guys, My wife is super excited about the gift she got her and cant wait to give it to her.
summoner: Great; hey can you bring some of those ribs you made last week they were off the charts and I would love to have them again.
Me: Ill do my best as it takes 6-8 hours to cook and I need to prep them a day or so in advance, plus its a short work week and I have a lot to get done, but im sure ill figure it out .
summoner: great thanks id love those and also said if you can make some of the pork ribs you make so well that would be great to, but dont go crazy as there is ONLY 50 ppl or so coming because of the forecast 
Me: um ok sure why not.
summoner: thanks  

There is going to be 50 ppl at this party and im only making 4 racks of beef ribs and 3 racks of pork ribs to bring with me tonight, as I am assuming that there is going to be food there that the host is supplying. 
I know I seem grouchy but Im tired and this week Ive been asked to attend 5 parties, but the caveat is not just attend but bring something and when I say something they are actually telling me what to bring. Im normally a very generous person and I do enjoy cooking for people (on my terms) but this is just getting to be a little crazy and im tired its been a long week for me and yes im getting OLD. 

Anyway back to the important stuff the Beef Plate Ribs have been simmering in worcestershire sauce and montreal rub for 2 days in the fridge and are now ready to go into the XL at 250 for the day will keep you posted, as im typing this the promised rain has finally made it and its going to be a wet cook

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Standing by. 

That’s quite a compliment.  How much I would appreciate that compliment would depend on the source. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Foghorn he is a foodie one of the guys I go to top zagat rated restaurants with, but with that said we dont really have any good/great BBQ in NY just about everything else is top notch but were slacking on the BBQ. Altough we have taken trips vacations as well but not enough of those as my wife would prefer a real relaxing vacation not a food eating vacation i think her priorities are a bit twisted 
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    You now know the best Q restaurant around-and you don't have to travel.  I get where you are coming from as that seems like an over-step right there.  But you will turn out great protein and have a great time.  As you are doing, make the quantity you want and let 'em fight over the bones.  Above all, have fun.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dude people are the worst. I got the same thing twice this week. Free catering. I finally sent my buddy’s wife to the store yesterday with a list and she called and said “hey this is getting expensive”. 

Yes sweetheart, it’s expensive. It’s your kids 1 year old birthday party. I suggest hot dogs. 

Those look awesome. Beef ribs are the best. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Can you please share the recipe for my next beef rib cook? Thanks
  • lousubcap
    @Moleman- I expect that the simple recipe I provided was to remove the membrane, then rub with worcestershire sauce and season with Montreal Steaking seasoning.
    Cook at around 250-270 *F (wherever it settles) indirect until they pass the toothpick test.  Plan for anywhere from 5-7+ hrs.  Enjoy brisket on a stick.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    okay protein loaded, on a side note had to buy cowboy lump as my local ACE messed up my RW order last week and they just called me now to tell me my 6 bags are in. I have never used cowboy before and did for the first time on the 4th I just made some ribs in MM and it lit fine and I didnt taste a difference as i sauced the ribs and i normally do them with just a dry rub and leave sauce on the side for whom ever wants it, and all i tasted was the sauce. Anyway I reloaded the XL with the rest of the bag of cowboy plus i topped it off with the remains of the cowboy that was in the MM and it took quite a while to light today and come to temp and after it came to temp it seemed like the bad smoke never wanted to stop. I had the egg lit for 1.5 house before the smoke was clear not sure why. Anyway protein is on and now I wait.

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    lousubcap im actually excited to see if there will be a run on the ribs and feelings hurt that would make me smile
    Killit_and_Grillit expensive it is and I dont even mind that part of it, I would just like if they asked hey can you bring something as people always love what ever you make so I can cook what I want not hey here is my order. Although I did just look at my butcher bill this week and its over $500.00 and I bought nothing for my house all for parties Im going to not to mention the rubs, lump, trays and wrap.
    Moleman its really simple I just coated the ribs in Worcestershire sauce and then cover in montreal seasoning mix will cook at 250-270 until probe like butter most likely a IT of 195-205 and some 6 hours or so
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    on a separate note Im using a CyberQ because im going to be in and out all day running from my office to my retail stores and I just walked into my house for a minute and noticed the BGE dome temp was reading 220 and the cyberQ was reading 375 grate that is a big difference, Im going to trust the BGE as the top vent is set for 250 and the bottom well it has the fan in and it is showing a 0% fan output. I just moved the grate clip from the side of the grate to the middle above the platesetter maybe that will change the readout. I guess its time to test both thermometers soon and figure out which is right.

Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Nice! and I feel your pain, I have no problem making tons of food and do all the time, but I do not like it when I agree and then it is no longer on my terms
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    Okay so in another episode of the cow controls the cook I set the food temp to 190 on the cyberQ and I just got a text that 3 of the 3 racks hit 190 so I came home and this is what they look like so far

and as far as IT i used my POP and it reads around 185-190 Im assuming this is going to be the stall because if not, they are cooking way to fast. Should I do anything to slow them down wasn't planning on FTC till around 3-4 as were eating at 6. Egg has been holding pretty steady at a grate temp of 270 and the dome temp reads 260 since I moved the clip to read over the platesetter and not directly over the open flame. I still have the 3 racks of pork ribs which I have to cook and at that time I was going to add the rig and raise the cow ribs to the top rack and place the pork ribs on the bottom shelf where the cow ribs are now. As im typing this the sy just opened up and it is now pouring

Long Island NY    
  • Foghorn
    Those look pretty close to done.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    unfortunately no such luck with the stall dreams the protein was still climbing in the tune of 197-203 IT so I removed from the heat wrapped in butcher paper and foil and then put back on the top grate while I loaded the pork ribs on the bottom grate again trying to keep the egg at 250-270, I closed the top vent a little more and added some apple and cherry wood for the pork ribs will prob keep the beef ribs on for another hour before I put in cooler. I never had this problem before where food was cooked to early. If i can make it to the 2:30 mark before pulling the cow then ill feel confident about them in the cooler for 3:30 - 4 hours before eating. Im going to start preheating the cooler now.
    Unless someone has a better suggestion Im listening?

Long Island NY    
  • Foghorn
    FTC in a preheated cooler should get you 6 hours or so.  I'd take them off as soon as they probe like they are done.

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    Foghorn Im heating the water now for the cooler as soon as cooler is warm Ill transfer the ribs
    Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Cooler or oven, but FWIW if they cool down, they will reheat in a jiffy and be just fine if you don't want to fret about keeping them warm or letting them get to far
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    What foghorn said.  Probe - when done (very little resistance, meat not tight), take off, let cool 20 minutes to arrest further cooking, then wrap in paper, put in cooler or oven on warm.
    Im pulling form the grill now while the cooler has a fresh pot of boiling water in it ill rewrap the ribs and put in cooler thanks for the quick responses

Long Island NY    
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    I held 2 pork butts in a room temp RTIC 20 for 6 hours a couple weeks ago. The butts were wrapped in foil and then a beach towel and into the cooler. After 6 hours they were still almost too hot to touch with bare skin. You should be golden. The beef ribs look great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• mlc2013
    OK so I pulled the beef ribs and have them on the counter cooling for a bit before I wrap in through in a pre heated cooler the ranged form 193 - 210 IT and they all probe like buttah believe it or not the 193 is the softest and I loss a bone handling it
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    now its time for the real thing. Thats right its time to mix the drinks my wife and I will bring bringing tonight. Can you guess which we are drinking and which is for the rest to drink
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaegghead
    I'd go with the Bulleit, but that's just me.
    OK I pulled the pork ribs and FTC as well for transport, and to hold them over till 6:00.
    As you can see the have great bark and passed the bend test and a tooth pick slid between every single rib with ease. Im excited to try these as the look like the best I have ever done
    Long Island NY    
  • nolaegghead
    Look great, I can tell they will taste great too.
    nolaegghead well from your lips to gods ears
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    @mic2013 - You are a cooking machine.  Those ribs (both sets) look great.  I'm sure you will be the hit of the party.  (Stand-by for more requests).
    And I'm with @nolaegghead, Bulleit and LEO at a minimum.  Enjoy the evening.
  • Foghorn
    If you're trying to not get asked to do this again, you have failed miserably.

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    lousubcap thanks coming from all you guys that means a lot. Im just trying to pick up the crumbs you guys leave behind, and one day I might be able to grill as good. As far as the Bullet apricot brandy, simple syrup believe me that jug is not leaving my side and will not be shared, its my wife favorite concoction i think its called duck soup or something like that 
    Foghorn yeah your probably right I should burn the food or under cook in the future

Long Island NY