Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boom Boom BOOM

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Happy 4th of July to ALL eggers everywhere!!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    And to you as well. I will admit I thought you were quoting John Lee Hooker at first B). Hope you have a great holiday with family and friends!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @RRP
    Happy 4th of July to you ole buddy. 
    On a separate note, on one of your threads that I hijacked you posted a pic of some old straight razors that you had. Are any of them by chance a Clauss? If so, do you want to sell one of the them? I have been trying to lay my hands on a Clauss for years. I will pay double the appraisal value of it no questions asked. If it has no pitting in the spine, face and shank ( I’m not worried about the edge as I do my own hollow grind work) I will pay just about any price that is within reason. Feel free to either PM me or call or text. Just in case you don’t have my number it’s:
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    On a separate note, on one of your threads that I hijacked you posted a pic of some old straight razors that you had. Are any of them by chance a Clauss? If so, do you want to sell one of the them? I have been trying to lay my hands on a Clauss for years. I will pay double the appraisal value of it no questions asked. If it has no pitting in the spine, face and shank ( I’m not worried about the edge as I do my own hollow grind work) I will pay just about any price that is within reason. Fell free to either PM me or call or text. Just in case you don’t have my number it’s:
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 
    If only I had Scottie’s money. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    On a separate note, on one of your threads that I hijacked you posted a pic of some old straight razors that you had. Are any of them by chance a Clauss? If so, do you want to sell one of the them? I have been trying to lay my hands on a Clauss for years. I will pay double the appraisal value of it no questions asked. If it has no pitting in the spine, face and shank ( I’m not worried about the edge as I do my own hollow grind work) I will pay just about any price that is within reason. Fell free to either PM me or call or text. Just in case you don’t have my number it’s:
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 
    If only I had Scottie’s money. 
    You would sadly starve to death brother Brent =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    On a separate note, on one of your threads that I hijacked you posted a pic of some old straight razors that you had. Are any of them by chance a Clauss? If so, do you want to sell one of the them? I have been trying to lay my hands on a Clauss for years. I will pay double the appraisal value of it no questions asked. If it has no pitting in the spine, face and shank ( I’m not worried about the edge as I do my own hollow grind work) I will pay just about any price that is within reason. Feel free to either PM me or call or text. Just in case you don’t have my number it’s:
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 
    let me look and I'll just give it to you...now if I can just find them again!
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 
    Ron, I won’t take it for free. Just not in me to do so. I will gladly give you up to 5 times the appraisal value if it’s good shape. If it’s in excellent to mint condition, I will gladly go considerably higher than that. 
    Again, it’s a Clauss that I’m looking for. If you have a Wade & Butcher, I would be intersted  in buying it too. But I want a Clauss the worst. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ron, standing by anxiously for word on if you have a Clauss or not. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    228-627-5400. 
    Name is Scottie Horton. 
    Ron, I won’t take it for free. Just not in me to do so. I will gladly give you up to 5 times the appraisal value if it’s good shape. If it’s in excellent to mint condition, I will gladly go considerably higher than that. 
    Again, it’s a Clauss that I’m looking for. If you have a Wade & Butcher, I would be intersted  in buying it too. But I want a Clauss the worst. 
    Sorry, no Clauss brand. All of are in rusted condition so I doubt they have much value.

Here's what I have:

Straight Edge Razor – All are pretty rough with rust - they were from my English grandfather who was a barber and died in the 1920s

Mary Jane – U.S Barber Supply -  Germany

2 of these : Satinedge – Dubl Duck – US

Oxford Razor – Germany

Wester Bros – Yankee Shaver 

Merit – Over the (symbol of a spinning top) – Germany

Wester Bros – Hi-Bar Bin Steel – Germany

Curtin & Clark – K C, Mo

Shaws Verabest – Germany

Solace – NY

G.S.P.K.

??? – Sheffield, England

Little Bearty ?

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    I was sure hoping that there was an old Clauss in there. Thanks for looking brother. 
    Anyone out there in Egg Land have a Clauss that they want to sell? Call or text the number I posted above. 

Status- Standing by.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    I was sure hoping that there was an old Clauss in there. Thanks for looking brother. 
    Anyone out there in Egg Land have a Clauss that they want to sell? Call or text the number I posted above. 
    Clauss are readily available on ebay.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I hear that Wes Johnson shaves exclusively with Clauss.
  • RRP
    Options
    I hear that Wes Johnson shaves exclusively with Clauss.

I just hope the sob shaves in the shower and drops his straight edge whacking off his #]~£¥#^ since his word isn't worth anything either! 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Let him have it Ron!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    SGH doesn’t like to shop at ebay because it reminds him of being out on the water.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    SGH doesn’t like to shop at ebay because it reminds him of being out on the water.
    The eBay?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP

You have to be careful buying them off eBay. Several overseas companies have knock offs off Clauss. You usually can’t tell by the pics of what you are getting until it’s to late. And some sellers will post a pic of a genuine Clauss but what they ship want be a Clauss. 
    I have no doubt that there are some genuine Clausses on the bay. But I would rather buy one from soneone that I trust rather than roll the dice. Being a man of very limited funds, I don’t like to gamble. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options
    With what I said above aside brother Heavy, I have been thinking about taking a gamble on this one because it’s an American seller with a 97% approval rating. 
    If he will send me a pic from his phone I will buy it in a second. 
    I know enough about Clauss to know the one in that pic is 100% genuine. I just want to know for sure that’s the one he is going to ship. 
    Also there are no “new” Clauss as his title suggests so that threw a red flag. He may have a vintage mint condition (which is what I’m hoping) but he doesn’t have a “new” Clauss. It’s little things like that, that make me hesitant.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, this is not a hijack. Just sharing a few 4th of July pics from “Just this side” of Biloxi, MS my friend. 

Fireworks being pushed out to Deer Island on a barge by a channel tractor. 

Some shots of the fireworks. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, it’s not the Clauss straight that I wanted. But I just ordered this real nice looking shavette. I have been wanting a shavette and wanting to try one out. Well, it’s on the way ole buddy. It may just end up a prettty what not sitting by one of my shave bowls or scuttles. 

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hook, Line AND Sinker.  
    Happy Independence Day!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks Ron. Happy belated 4th to you and all Eggers

From Cape Cod. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Cape Cod is one of my favorite spots!  Enjoy!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks @thetrim.  If you know the Cape, those pics are taken at low tide from a sandbar island at the mouth of the break just south of Coast Guard Beach where the water rolls into Orleans Town Cove.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Great pics @SGH. Keep em’ coming. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Great pics @SGH. Keep em’ coming. 
    I have a video that’s about 10 minutes long. Can’t figure out how to make it post though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron I’m going to ask for permission this time. I would really like to hijack this thread later. I have an excellent old school shave coming up that I would like to share. 
    It truly has it all. A hot scuttle uberlather, some Old Spice imported from India that was manufactured by Rubicon (the best Shulton clone out there), maybe even a little Pinaud Clubman thrown in for good measure. Going to use a vintage Gillette that has been converted into a devette. This shave really has it all and leaves nothing to be desired 
    What say ye brother?

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @RRP: I recommend you approve @SGH’s shave post request with the necessary caveat that it will be his face that will be the object of said shave. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Ron, I haven’t heard any objection thus far. I’m taking that as a go ahead to post the great shave here. Stand by brother, whiskers are fixing to start flying. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron I’m going to ask for permission this time. I would really like to hijack this thread later. I have an excellent old school shave coming up that I would like to share. 
    It truly has it all. A hot scuttle uberlather, some Old Spice imported from India that was manufactured by Rubicon (the best Shulton clone out there), maybe even a little Pinaud Clubman thrown in for good measure. Going to use a vintage Gillette that has been converted into a devette. This shave really has it all and leaves nothing to be desired 
    What say ye brother?
    Let her rip tater chip!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Scottie, I LOVE this pic!

:triumph:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...