Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This Is Finally Happening

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
The concrete has been poured for a couple years, finally getting around to putting this together. 

This leg is getting a 32” Lion Gasser (Val’s price of admission to the outdoor kitchen club). The leg against the house will get a double bay commercial SS sink. 

The leg opposite this one will get the MM and XL BGEs with a WFO in the outer corner. The front leg (parallel to the house) is getting a drop in cooler, dual tap kegerator. 

Might also add in a dedicated hand wash sink if there is room against the house. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Very cool, excited to follow this one. It’s funny, a 2K gasser was my price of admission to the outdoor kitchen club too...but then the checkbook was open  =)=)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Holy cannoli Mike!  All of the best toys all in one spot!  I’m jealous man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    I forgot to mention that this leg against the deck is also getting my 36” SS Blackstone. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice job and congrats!  I just watched the last 30 mins of Crimson Tide.  I know you don't count yourself as a fan, but I think I'm getting a little soft spot in my heart for you bubbleheads!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    thetrim said:
    Nice job and congrats!  I just watched the last 30 mins of Crimson Tide.  I know you don't count yourself as a fan, but I think I'm getting a little soft spot in my heart for you bubbleheads!
    You've been hanging around to many Navy folks, they'll get in you head. :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • CTMike
    thetrim said:
    Worst submarine movie ever. Watch Das Boot and Down Periscope for an idea of what submarine life is really like.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    @NorthPilot06,

Can you post some photos of your ODK? I am looking for ideas on lighting, finish treatment, etc. 

Current plan is to cover the studs with NextGen Durock, then coat with Redgard to make it waterproof. Then currently looking at covering the outside with veneer stone. 

Eventually plan to add a pavilion to cover the ODK and the upper deck. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    CTMike said:
    thetrim said:
    Worst submarine movie ever. Watch Das Boot and Down Periscope for an idea of what submarine life is really like.  
    Das Boot is a great movie!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Is that slab running alongside your deck going to be left like that?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    HeavyG said:
    Is that slab running alongside your deck going to be left like that?
    The cement board inside the steel studs parallel to the deck, or the slab against the house?

I assume you mean the cement board inside the steel studs. First thing was to lay some Trex decking on the slab to keep the studs out of standing water. Then the u-channel was laid down. The studs are built up from there. The reason I covered the rest of the bottom with Durock is to help keep mice out. 

If you meant the slab against the house, that will be built out next similar to the leg parallel to the deck. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    @CTMike I was wondering about how this part of your slab as it appears to have a void underneath it where exposed soil and some grass is growing underneath it:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    Ahh gotcha. That void will be filled in with soil and compacted in. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    Awesome!!  We are in the pre-planning stages for our outdoor kitchen and was wondering where did you get plans or design yourself?  Looks great can't wait to see finished product(s)!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• CTMike
    Awesome!!  We are in the pre-planning stages for our outdoor kitchen and was wondering where did you get plans or design yourself?  Looks great can't wait to see finished product(s)!! 
    I just spent a lot of time looking over various build threads, made a list of toys I wanted to incorporate, and went from there. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NorthPilot06
  • NorthPilot06
    Apologies for the mess but I did want to snap a pic for you this a.m. before heading to work.  Hopefully this is instructive, but my outdoor kitchen isn't covered like you plan to do with yours.  As far as lighting goes, we've got some cafe lighting hanging around under the covered patio that gives off a good amount of light - and there's a large light on the DCS rotisserie unit too.  Was thinking about adding some under cabinet, strip LED lighting too but haven't gotten that far yet - I think it'd look really good under both the countertop and the backsplash.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

Do you have some type of topcoat on your pool deck? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NorthPilot06
    Haha, don't even get me started.  It's stamped concrete with paint on it...flakes like the devil.  On the bright side, the cement is a similar color to the paint so I'm not planning to repaint...in fact, I may pull out my pressure washer and make quick work of taking all of the paint off.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    YES!!  That's going to be awesome.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    Haha, don't even get me started.  It's stamped concrete with paint on it...flakes like the devil.  On the bright side, the cement is a similar color to the paint so I'm not planning to repaint...in fact, I may pull out my pressure washer and make quick work of taking all of the paint off.

Our pool deck has some cracks and holds some mildew in shaded spots... was thinking of some type of concrete topcoat (if one existed) or even covering the whole thing with pavers. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NorthPilot06
    If I didn't inherit the pool deck from the prior owners, I'd probably have tossed down either pavers or flagstone.  For now it works though.

No mildew here, the TX sun dries water up instantly.  B)
  • SonVolt
    I just called our local hardscapes place... they quoted $30,000 for pavers based on square feet.  Maybe I'll live with the cracks a few more years... jesus.
  • CTMike
    Got a little more work done today, brutal conditions considering is 95 F plus stupid high humidity. Finished the alcove for the grill, covered it with rock board, and then set the grill in place to see how we did on the alcove. Pretty good overall.

The grill looks like it’s sitting proud because there will be a 2” concrete counter top installed. Then pulled the grill back out, and mudded all the joints. Once dry, it will get coated with Redgard to waterproof it. Then the grill will get semi-permanently installed until it is time to install the counter top. That will make Val happy as she won’t light an Egg. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    Outdoor kitchen threads are my favorite threads, but parchment paper and mayo threads are quickly gaining on them.  Ron's threads are also pretty entertaining.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    edited July 2018
    @NorthPilot06 I don’t see any mess, that is a great looking setup. Did you build your own WFO or go with a precast kit from Forno Bravo or the like?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Following this Mike! It's looking good brother. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Make sure your idiot builder doesnt get muratic acid anywhere near your stainless like mine did. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Looking great Mike!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Go be really nice. How you draining off those sink(s)?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    Looks like y'all have the same gasser.  Very nice @NorthPilot06
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95