Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This Is Finally Happening

Options

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Go be really nice. How you draining off those sink(s)?
    The sinks are on the leg against the house. They will drain to a sump tank in the basement, which will then pump up to the main drain line. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

thetrim said:
    Looks like y'all have the same gasser.  Very nice @NorthPilot06
    Nah, he’s ballin’ with a DCS grill, mine is a lowly Lion. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very cool @CTMike ! Its always exciting to watch someone put their outdoor play space together. Can't wait to see all your toys in their new home. 

I was planning on building an outdoor kitchen a few years back, and may still have that notion tucked away in the back of my mind. What type of metal stud are you using? At the time I was pondering whether to go with exterior grade (G90) and whether it was necessary, given the price.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    Options
    I am using 20 ga from a local lumber yard, not a big box store. The salesman told me 25 ga would be fine for this, but I felt better spending an extra $0.30/stud to get the heavier gauge. Don’t know if they are exterior rated, didn’t think to ask. Between the base of Trex to keep them out of standing water, and the Redgard waterproofing treatment, I am confident that they will outlast me. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Ahh gotcha. That void will be filled in with soil and compacted in. 
    I get HG''s concern about the slab edge.  It is difficult to get good compaction of soil under an existing slab.  I recommend that you dig along the edge at least 8" deep and undermine the edge about 6".  Then place concrete being sure the void is filled to the bottom of the existing concrete.  I know this doesn't sound like fun, but I would do it before you add any more weight.

This looks like a great project.  
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • CTMike
    Options
    Some more progress today. Got the bar on the upper deck framed out, and the Durock installed on top. 

Also got the alcove for the Blackstone built out and rocked in. 

Put two coats of Redgard in the grill alcove, and will install the grill tomorrow. 

Waiting to to hear back from my HVAC guy to see if these can be permanently piped in to the 500g tank. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looking awesome!  Great progress!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good, Mike.

Is the counter top structure attached to the deck also attached to the counter/cabinet structure below?  Reason I ask is if the footer/foundation of the deck has settled, any subsidence on your counter monolith might be at a different rate.  If that could be a problem, I would decouple the two so they can move independently and not cause any self-destruction.
    Options

Looking at all this structural framing feeling too much like work.  Currently working on a S/A for Nucleonics on the SSBN 742 and CVN 77.

But in all seriousness, this is an excellent looking project and I'm enjoying watching the progress.  Keep up the great work.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice update.  Don’t work ‘em too hard!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Mike:  great work!  Please keep those photos coming.  This is a fascinating look into the process.  Appreciate your sharing the journey with us.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    CTMike said:
    @NorthPilot06 I don’t see any mess, that is a great looking setup. Did you build your own WFO or go with a precast kit from Forno Bravo or the like?
    Sorry @CTMike - I missed this message. It’s a precast from Forno Bravo, the Casa 2g90 to be exact. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Looks good. @CTMike is that you rockin the cutoff jorts?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CTMike
    Options
    No, that would be my NH redneck BIL Joe. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Looks good, Mike.

Is the counter top structure attached to the deck also attached to the counter/cabinet structure below?  Reason I ask is if the footer/foundation of the deck has settled, any subsidence on your counter monolith might be at a different rate.  If that could be a problem, I would decouple the two so they can move independently and not cause any self-destruction.
    Yes, they are attached together. I gave some thought to settling at different rates, but the deck has been in for 14 years so I don’t think it’s going to move anymore. If it does I guess I will have to deal with it then. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    @NorthPilot06 I don’t see any mess, that is a great looking setup. Did you build your own WFO or go with a precast kit from Forno Bravo or the like?
    Sorry @CTMike - I missed this message. It’s a precast from Forno Bravo, the Casa 2g90 to be exact. 
    Thanks, that’s the exact model I’m looking at also. How do you like it? Would you buy it again?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Good man, that Joe.  I hope there's a cooler of cold beer handy for Joe's efforts.  That project goes in the Wing Man Hall of Fame.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Good man, that Joe.  I hope there's a cooler of cold beer handy for Joe's efforts.  That project goes in the Wing Man Hall of Fame.
    Agreed. We worked side by side for 3 days in 90+ heat and stupid high humidity to get this far. His help has been invaluable. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There's a whole lot of awesomeness going on. Very cool to see your cooking haven come together. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I’ve been exceptionally happy with the oven. The dimensions fit my needs perfectly (the oven and floor space are adequately large), the thermal properties are fantastic (e.g. 1 hour to heat up - made pizzas this Friday, then cooked bacon and a spatchcock chicken the next day without relighting) - all around a quality unit. 

@SciAggie has the same oven, I’m sure he’d be happy to chime in as well!
  • CTMike
    Options
    Made quite a bit of progress today, working in the heat again:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Nice!  But do you have a policy to only work when it is boiling hot?  Just askin'.  Keep it up.  Looking good!
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Love watching the progress Mike!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Got a little more work done today, brutal conditions considering is 95 F plus stupid high humidity. Finished the alcove for the grill, covered it with rock board, and then set the grill in place to see how we did on the alcove. Pretty good overall.

The grill looks like it’s sitting proud because there will be a 2” concrete counter top installed. Then pulled the grill back out, and mudded all the joints. Once dry, it will get coated with Redgard to waterproof it. Then the grill will get semi-permanently installed until it is time to install the counter top. That will make Val happy as she won’t light an Egg. 

You're going to love the Lion. I incorporated it into my cook area. It's one solidly built grill. Pretty much 100% stainless. Cook area is progressing nicely. Happy building!
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Looking at all this structural framing feeling too much like work.  Currently working on a S/A for Nucleonics on the SSBN 742 and CVN 77.

But in all seriousness, this is an excellent looking project and I'm enjoying watching the progress.  Keep up the great work.

My son is a nuke on CVN 77.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Looks good, Mike.

Yes, they are attached together. I gave some thought to settling at different rates, but the deck has been in for 14 years so I don’t think it’s going to move anymore. If it does I guess I will have to deal with it then. 

What's your counter-top material going to be? Will it have seems? That's the only thing I would be worried about. Even slight movement with the seasons can cause perfectly flush granite seems to shift, which will break the epoxy bond letting water pour through them. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Nice!  But do you have a policy to only work when it is boiling hot?  Just askin'.  
    No, just stupid. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Smolder said:
    CTMike said:
    Got a little more work done today, brutal conditions considering is 95 F plus stupid high humidity. Finished the alcove for the grill, covered it with rock board, and then set the grill in place to see how we did on the alcove. Pretty good overall.

The grill looks like it’s sitting proud because there will be a 2” concrete counter top installed. Then pulled the grill back out, and mudded all the joints. Once dry, it will get coated with Redgard to waterproof it. Then the grill will get semi-permanently installed until it is time to install the counter top. That will make Val happy as she won’t light an Egg. 

You're going to love the Lion. I incorporated it into my cook area. It's one solidly built grill. Pretty much 100% stainless. Cook area is progressing nicely. Happy building!
    That’s good to hear. Ive used it a couple times and it definitely throws some heat. All four burners on high gives 600 F or so on the installed thermo. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

SonVolt said:
    CTMike said:
    Looks good, Mike.

What's your counter-top material going to be? Will it have seems? That's the only thing I would be worried about. Even slight movement with the seasons can cause perfectly flush granite seems to shift, which will break the epoxy bond letting water pour through them. 
    Concrete. The upper one will be poured in place as it will have a waterfall front edge. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    johnnyp said:

My son is a nuke on CVN 77.
    As a retired nuke submariner, please thank your son for his service.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.