Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sonos-OT

Options
CoMoBGE
CoMoBGE Posts: 374
looking at getting into Sonos. Trying decide if a Playbar is better than the new sound bar(beam) plus 2 new play 1s? It’s about the same price. Want to know what other people think of their Sonos systems? Thanks

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can put a bunch of new Echo whatevers around and they supposedly sync up, or not, whatever you want to do.  And since you can connect the dots to any AV system, you can piggyback on existing equipment that is easily superior to Sonos stuff with speakers.   That said, I don't have any Sonos stuff.
    Options
    Love my Sonos,  but I is nothing of Playbar FWIW
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thunder
    Thunder Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a playbar/Sub/2 play 1s in the basement (used for tv and music), gen 2 play 5 in the kitchen and gen 1 play 5 in the master.  Looking to add an amp with outdoor speakers to the patio.

I absolutely love my Sonos.  Listen to more music since I’ve had it than ever before.  It’s simple and extremely flexible.  Different music each at its own volume in every room if wanted or group the rooms you want.  

As as far as playbar vs beam, can’t say. I’ve never heard the beam.  I’m sure it sound greats.  I will say the sub adds a lot to the sound (bass) of the playbar.  I would definitely consider the sub if you’re going to listen to music.
  • CoMoBGE
    Options
    You can put a bunch of new Echo whatevers around and they supposedly sync up, or not, whatever you want to do.  And since you can connect the dots to any AV system, you can piggyback on existing equipment that is easily superior to Sonos stuff with speakers.   That said, I don't have any Sonos stuff.
    If you want voice connectivity on the playbar you have to add an Amazon dot(the new Beam has it built in). I want wireless for my front living room system. I appreciate your input. Do you have a different wireless system to look at? I’m willing to look at other systems. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a playbase, sub and two play ones in my family room. Play one in living room. Love it, the no wires and minimal look is great. Sounds fabulous
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I have been a Sonos user since 2010, we love it. I sold my Playbar when I realized it doesn’t decode DTS encoded sound tracks. Besides that downside, we love the system and use it daily. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I am a Sonos fan.  Easy to setup.  Easy to use.  Good sound.

It is not for everybody.  Audiophile types will talk down about the sound quality... People looking to do things on the cheap will complain about the price...

I have the playbar/sub/p1s  and a playbase/sub/p1s setup.  Both are great.   With the optical connection it can be a bit tricky at times getting 5.1 sound just right.  A number of TVs only send stereo out the optical if the source is coming from an HDMI input.  I added a splitter to my setup to send the sound to the Playbar/Playbase bypassing the TV.  Much better results.

I would think that the HDMI connection on the Beam *might* solve that issue.

I have not heard the Beam in person so i cannot comment on a sound comparison.

I have an Amazon Dot on the side table for voice control.   To me it makes more sense to have that away from the speaker.

Thunder said:
    Looking to add an amp with outdoor speakers to the patio.
    I rearranged things awhile back.  Put my Connect:AMP (actually was a ZP120 before the rebranding) in the garage, an easy cable run through the wall, and some outdoor speakers on the patio.   It is great.   Going from the kitchen to the egg without missing a beat.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I returned my play ones and got a new play 5 which I liked so much I got a second. Sold a play three and replaced with a HomePod as it’s so simplistic and works better for the family in a common area and the sonos is hooked up to my turn table. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HUGE Sonos fan. I have the speakers all over. 3 playbars, 2 subs, 2 play 1s, 2 play 3s, an older play 5, 2 connect amps and 1 connect for my serious sound system. Most of this is at my house 2 of the play 3s and one play 1 is at work.

It's flexible. sounds great and syncs perfectly. Inside or outside my house I can switch between any streaming music service, any TV or even external stuff through the aux connections.

I've not seen the new Beam in person so I can't offer any real input on the comparison.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Big Sonos fan here.  Have had a Playbar since 2015, 2 Play1s since 2016.  Customer service is excellent.  I find the sound quality to be fine given my age and hearing quality.  I would guess that the sound quality of the Playbar is better than that of the Beam, given the price differential and physical size.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I’m a little biased because I used to work for the company. But...

Bose makes a product lineup called SoundToucb that is their version of a WiFi music ecosystem.   They are comparably priced across the board, but the Bose hardware is a higher performing  audio system in every way.  That being said, Sonos’ software is much more seamless and easy to operate. Personally, I own the Bose version. I’m incredibly happy with the performance of the music.  

My more objective $0.02 when making your purchases decision... prioritize between the quality of the audio system and the ease of the software interface.  That should guide you toward one product or the other 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I love the Sonos speakers but the Playbar is seriously old now and hasn't been updated in years. So I'd shop around before shelling out. I instead went for a Samsung bar that I tried out and liked the sound of - third of price of a Playbar. 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I had a Bose 5.1 speaker system in the past. It suddenly stopped producing sound. Customer service was not very helpful. I had to ship them the subwoofer because all of the brains are in it. They tested it, told me it was fine, and sent it back to me unchanged. Now it is junk and I still have the speakers hanging from my ceiling.

Now I have Sonos. I agree with the above that (just like Bose) audiophiles will complain. But for the rest who just want great sound, easy setup, functionality - Sonos is great. Each speaker is its own and independent of the others.

Definitely get the new Beam rather than the old Soundbar (which I have). The Soundbar has only an optical connection which makes getting 5.1 sound difficult. The Soundbar does not play well with all TV's and DVD players (LG for TV's and Samsung for DVD players is the way to go for the Soundbar by the way). The HDMI connection will be much more functional and Sonos claims that the Beam will soon work with Apple Play which is a good improvement. The Beam also has Alexa integrated so you don't need any Amazon pucks or even Sonos One speakers to use Alexa.

I have the Playbar, 5 Sonos One, and 2 Sonos Play 5 speakers and am very happy with the system. The integrated Alexa is a cool feature. I can say "Play the top hits from 1974 in the living room" and it does. It is fun when entertaining because anyone can verbally take over the playlist. Pick your guests wisely. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

My friend has a conventional speaker system with the Sonos Connect module which lets him control all the speakers and groups with the Sonos App. That is a great way to go as well if you have a lot of existing speakers.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    the usability, connectivity and low input source layer is what we're talking about here, right?  the amps and speakers should be separate from this conversation 
    edited July 2018
    Options
    TheToast said:
    I love the Sonos speakers but the Playbar is seriously old now and hasn't been updated in years. So I'd shop around before shelling out. I instead went for a Samsung bar that I tried out and liked the sound of - third of price of a Playbar. 
    See the new beam?

https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/shop/beam.html
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I too have a Bose. Originally, I went the whole Audiophile route and bought a Huge woofer, Receiver and 5.1 Surround. Then I got the remote and realized just to listen to TV it was a giant PITA. I took all of it back and got a Bose Cinemate Series 2. I've had it for 8 years and still works great. When it dies eventually I will get either another Bose or a Sonos. They are way too easy to use to justify anything else. I don't need Movie Theater sound in my living room. Now If I had a dedicated media room, this conversation would be totally different.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• EggHeadJohn
    Options
    Huge SONOS guy here! My living room setup is Playbar (mounted with TV articulating mount), (2) Play 1's for surrounds and Sub. I have a Playbar mounted on the wall in the bedroom. Lastly, a Play 1 in the bathroom. All running through the SONOS boost which I think provided a more solid connection. 

Not sure how I feel on the Beam but if you have a smaller TV and don't want to shell out the $700 then I say go for it. You wont be disappointed. 

Minimax BGE
    Houston,TX
    Want to see what's cooking? Follow me on instagram @eggheadjohn
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Question for you SONOS guys. I am doing a AIRBNB next week in Colorado. The house is fully wired inside and out. My question is.........are there multiple input options.....or is there a limitation of Bluetooth only? My exposure to SONOS is limited to one experience where i had to download the app....and play via the Bluetooth. My use case is can I connect a XM receiver to a device and have the full functionality of playing across....the entire house? Not sure I have provided enough info but all I have at this time..... 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Question for you SONOS guys. I am doing a AIRBNB next week in Colorado. The house is fully wired inside and out. My question is.........are there multiple input options.....or is there a limitation of Bluetooth only? My exposure to SONOS is limited to one experience where i had to download the app....and play via the Bluetooth. My use case is can I connect a XM receiver to a device and have the full functionality of playing across....the entire house? Not sure I have provided enough info but all I have at this time.....

Well....you do need the app, but you are not limited to Bluetooth.  Most of the functionality comes via WiFi

Every sonos connected Item, can be listening to a different source, if you desire.  Pandora, XM, Spotify, Internet Radio, etc. 

Yes, you can connect an XM receiver to a sonos connected device via AUX input and I believe (someone correct me, if I'm wrong) that you can rebroadcast that Aux input to various other sonos connected items from around the home.

Just a clarification- the house may be wired inside and out....but to what?  If it's a central multi-zone receiver, it likely has a sonos device set up as an input.  Meaning that each set of speakers wont be independent, but will rather be dedicated to a singular receiver

I hope that helps. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Johnny....I think you helped..but also think I might consider the XM app as well.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    looking at getting into Sonos. Trying decide if a Playbar is better than the new sound bar(beam) plus 2 new play 1s? It’s about the same price. Want to know what other people think of their Sonos systems? Thanks
    The Beam is designed for a smaller room. If you are in a larger room then I would recommend the Playbar. I have the Playbar, Sub and two Play 1s and the sound in my town home with 25 foot ceilings is great. The Sono's app guides you through the calibration process to insure that the system sounds correct for your room.

Sound quality is on par with a component system I had set up in my previous home. 

I also have one Play 5 but plan on getting another.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I remember asking about sonos here and did not get a single reply.
    Anyway went ahead and bought a bunch of these and let me tell you, they are the bomb. May not be good for an audiophille, but the most used camera now is the one on your phone. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CoMoBGE
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I decided to wait for Amazon Prime Day and got the Sonos One for regular price with a $50 Amazon gift card. Did that special 2x. My local Best Buy has the Beam and Playbar on display and I will go decide tomorrow. Thanks again for the info. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @CoMoBGE Nice score!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I run with Bose because over the years I have lost a bit of my audiophile cred....
    Bose is a client of ours and I have just stayed with what I know, ignorance is bliss...
    However, I am now needing, more than ever, a system that is universal indoors and out, so I will be doing some research, much more than I had in the past.
    This thread has been useful, it has started the process for me.
    Thanks to the OP.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have the whole setup

playbar , sub , 2 play 1’s. In main room.

2 additional play 1 ‘s in other rooms. Pair 2 play 1s and get amazing sound in any room. Love it as much as the day I bought it.
    Seattle, WA
  • northGAcock
    Options