Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
We're contemplating a cross country move. What's the best way to pack up my LBGE to survive the trip? We'll be using a commercial moving company.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Let them do it. 

And make sure they have adequate insurance. 

Moved mine from Chicago to Austin with no problems. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Teefus said:
    We're contemplating a cross country move. What's the best way to pack up my LBGE to survive the trip? We'll be using a commercial moving company.
    If you are using a commercial company, they will pack it I'm sure...liability is on them if something happens....You may want to remove fire box ring etc and let them pack separately
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    lkapigian said:
    Teefus said:
    If you are using a commercial company, they will pack it I'm sure...liability is on them if something happens....You may want to remove fire box ring etc and let them pack separately
    For the "appraised value", not the replacement value.  Had a lady call me a few weeks ago and the movers dropped their large (10 mile move).  Broke the base and the fire ring.  They sent someone out to "appraise" the BGE and gave them $300.  Rather than pay to replace those two parts, they just bought a new one from me since it was only a few hundred more.  

If you're going to keep the firebox and firering inside, just put cardboard between all the mating surfaces and it will be fine.  BGE ships them all over the world and rarely do they ever get broken in transit.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    lkapigian said:
    Teefus said:
    For the "appraised value", not the replacement value.  Had a lady call me a few weeks ago and the movers dropped their large (10 mile move).  Broke the base and the fire ring.  They sent someone out to "appraise" the BGE and gave them $300.  Rather than pay to replace those two parts, they just bought a new one from me since it was only a few hundred more.  

If you're going to keep the firebox and firering inside, just put cardboard between all the mating surfaces and it will be fine.  BGE ships them all over the world and rarely do they ever get broken in transit.
    did not know that , valid point...only used movers once and they packed stuff way better than I would have....did not move an egg though
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Do it yourself. + many moving co. won't assume that liability anyway. And if they do you will never see the True Value if they do break it as Jonathan stated earlier. Our son recently moved into his home and took his Minimax with him. The moving company moved everything but the mini Max.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Jeremiah said:
    You can always go back to your dealer and ask for a box with all the styrofoam, dissasemblenit into the original box. 
    Bingo 
  • dmchicago
    You can buy replacement value coverage. 

Also do check your homeowners insurance 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I guess nobody’s going to suggest a lyin’ cheatin’  warranty claim?  Another public full melt-down on a Friday could be good fun.
  • So where are you going?
    Flint, Michigan
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Jeremiah said:
    You can always go back to your dealer and ask for a box with all the styrofoam, dissasemblenit into the original box. 
    You can, but you have to dissemble the Egg.  That's what I do when I move it, but some people are hesitant to.  Plus, we usually slice that box up to get into it.

If you want to do this, get on it so they save a box for you and don't cut it up when opening. 

If you're going to put the dome upside down in the base, make sure you pull the dome temp gauge out first!!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Ask your mover what the deductable is and then how much they pay per pound for claims, make sure your sitting down.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Jeremiah said:
    Bingo 
    + bingo. The interior packing is every bit as important as the outer.

I was employed to ship very valuable objects, and even glass was sometimes easier than ceramics. The Egg's ceramics are pretty strong, but given its weight, surviving a drop off a truck bed takes lots of padding. That drop is the base line for safety, btw. Moreover, having a well made frame around it will help the movers strap it down.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Thanks for the post...was about to search the forum for advice myself.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • AB1234
    AB1234 Posts: 28
    I took the guts out of mine and the movers boxed up each piece. They shrink wrapped the large to the table and put moving blankets around it. No problems.
    Orlando
  • SSQUAL612
    Where are you contemplating moving to?   I'm relocating to the Great State of Texas in less than 60 days.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Where are you contemplating moving to?   I'm relocating to the Great State of Texas in less than 60 days.   
    What area are you moving to in Texas?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Ultimately settling in Tyler, but first I’ll be staying with a friend in Temple so I can take my time with home search. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Ultimately settling in Tyler, but first I’ll be staying with a friend in Temple so I can take my time with home search. 
    Tyler is a great area. Awesome homes there and cheap. Plus you are only an hour and a half or so from Dallas if you need big city convienence. Welcome!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Teefus
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Knoxville, TN area.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Where to settle in Knoxville depends on where you are going to work, west end of town Cedar Bluff, Farragut area is where I was raised, now crowded lots to do, just congested. I got married to a gal from the Gibbs- Corryton area and we settled there. Worked downtown and had no traffic issues. If your career has you crossing the Tennessee River heading south to Alcoa, Maryville you may want to live there. More home for your money anywhere but west.Good schools in Knox and Blount county, not so much in Anderson and Loudon, Roane counties.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    The eggs came with us when moved from Austin to NTexas.  The other option was getting original packing material from egg dealer and letting movers take the egg.  Buy extra insurance. Ours was the move from hell with lots of things damaged. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Teefus
    Where to settle in Knoxville depends on where you are going to work, west end of town Cedar Bluff, Farragut area is where I was raised, now crowded lots to do, just congested. I got married to a gal from the Gibbs- Corryton area and we settled there. Worked downtown and had no traffic issues. If your career has you crossing the Tennessee River heading south to Alcoa, Maryville you may want to live there. More home for your money anywhere but west.Good schools in Knox and Blount county, not so much in Anderson and Loudon, Roane counties.
    We paid a visit last week. The housing market is red hot. Inventory is very low and prices are very high. I have no plans to assume a bunch of mortgage debt to buy a home that's half of what I live in now. It's a show stopper.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Welcome to Texas. You might find you like the Temple /Waco area too. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    dmchicago said:

If  you file a homeowners claim for a $1000 loss you are insane.  You may not see much if any rate increase for the one claim, but if you have another claim in a 3 year period you are hosed for rates and may be cancelled.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago said:

If  you file a homeowners claim for a $1000 loss you are insane.  You may not see much if any rate increase for the one claim, but if you have another claim in a 3 year period you are hosed for rates and may be cancelled.
    Yep. I thought of that after I posted that but didn't go back to edit.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Markarm4119
    A 4 side brick, 300 square.ft.home, 4/2, with detached garage/ loft just went on the market for $279,900. With 1 acre in 8700 block of Millertown pike in east end of county. 5 minutes to 3 ridges golf course, and 30 minutes to 3 different lakes.
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    3000 square. Ft.
    Buford,Ga.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Read fine print of the insurance. My dad moved from Iowa to NC and they shattered the base, ring and firebox.  They insurance was by the pound and he received a check for $57 to replace the egg. Total Bullshirt if you ask me but it seems to be common place. I would pack yourself or carry in your own vehicle. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe