Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving to the darkredside

beteez
beteez Posts: 548
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
After having a BGE since 1995, sold my large yesterday because we are moving next week & after we get settled in the KJ roadshow is rolling into town at Costco, too good of a deal & bells & whistles to pass up.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The folks at KJ say: "Purchasing any Kamado Joe product through an unauthorized dealer voids the warranty. An unauthorized dealer is defined as, but not limited to discount clubs, big box stores or any retailer who has not been expressly granted permission by Kamado Joe to sell Kamado Joe products."

Check with the Kamado Joe folks to make sure the 
    warranty will be good.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    And don't trust the salesman. Get it in writing.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    The KJ website does not list Costco as an authorized dealer  
    New Orleans LA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I hear they have a vibrant and active forum.  We’ll miss you man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • chupacabra
    chupacabra Posts: 77
    I couldn't imagine selling my egg - wow. 

With that said, I own 2 BGE's and a KJ. I assume you wont be leaving this forum just because your cookware is red, right?
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Friday Night Thread???

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92

The Costco road shows are put on by an authorized dealer, and grills bought there are covered by the KJ warranty.  As you can imagine, its a point of contention with their authorized dealers.

KJ has a board over at the Guru that gets some activity, but its nothing like this place.  One nice thing is that the owner and his minions post there frequently, and they give you peeks at the latest products they have designed stolen from CGS and KAB.

I looked at the KJs before buying my XL. With the improvements they made last year, there wasn't much of a price difference, and the BGE warranty sealed the deal.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Kcheves said:

The Costco road shows are put on by an authorized dealer, and grills bought there are covered by the KJ warranty.  As you can imagine, its a point of contention with their authorized dealers.

KJ has a board over at the Guru that gets some activity, but its nothing like this place.  One nice thing is that the owner and his minions post there frequently, and they give you peeks at the latest products they have designed stolen from CGS and KAB.

I looked at the KJs before buying my XL. With the improvements they made last year, there wasn't much of a price difference, and the BGE warranty sealed the deal.

What improvements did they make with the XL? I just got mine and now I'm wondering which version I got. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Doesn't matter to me a bit what you cook on.  Half of mine are done on something other than an egg.  

Not sure I'd start a new thread on a BGE forum to advertise it though, as now you've probably been green balled on some secret list.  

Phoenix 
  • Kcheves said:

Plus Costco will take care of it for life. It's almost better- If KJ won't honor it, Costco will. assuming you keep your Costco membership, you have a double warranty. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I went to Costco last Friday and 2 different people were bringing KJ's in to return. Couldn't see any damage but found that odd that 2 different unrelated people would both be bringing them in at the same time.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Any idea what the little one is worth at a Road Show?  They are at one of the Costcos in town right now, wife just left for 30 hours...... Far enough away that I dont want to drive to find out.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    SonVolt said:
    Kcheves said:

What improvements did they make with the XL? I just got mine and now I'm wondering which version I got. 

Revised soft-close hinge, new gasket, latch on front, improved daisy wheel.  I think they sell or sold the old as the KJ Classic.  All new models should have the improvements.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Kcheves said:
    SonVolt said:
    Kcheves said:

Revised soft-close hinge, new gasket, latch on front, improved daisy wheel.  I think they sell or sold the old as the KJ Classic.  All new models should have the improvements.

Oh, nevermind you're talking about the KJ. I thought you meant improvements to the BGE XL. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    xfire_ATX said:
    Any idea what the little one is worth at a Road Show?  They are at one of the Costcos in town right now, wife just left for 30 hours...... Far enough away that I dont want to drive to find out.

Usually they are $400.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Maybe there's a 55 gallon drum in a ditch next to your local Costco?

People cook out of those too.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    I love my XL BGE, and started working angles the day after I got it (best birthday ever), to get a smaller companion.  That said, the wife and I were walking through a dealer up in Grapevine somewhere this January and I was checking out the medium's.  After adding up the accessories, my wife started balking at the idea of me dropping another grand on a 4th grill, so I let it go.

Later that day, we happened to be in Costco and the d@mn KJ roadshow ALSO happened to be there.  After seeing all the included accessories, I had the 'blessing' I needed and ended up taking one home that day.  So now I have the 18" Large equivalent in the KJ Classic II - still need that Medium BGE though!!

I registered the KJ same day, with zero issues.  I'll definitely post here if I ever attempt to use it and get denied though.
    Arlington, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I thought this is what you were talking about. 

• Dondgc
    Kcheves said:

I didn't know that. Good info. I can see why their dealers might not be happy. 
    New Orleans LA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Dondgc said:
    The KJ website does not list Costco as an authorized dealer  
    Costco doesn't carry KJ stuff at all stores or year round in any stores. KJ stuff periodically shows up at various Costco stores as one of Costco's special events that Costco frequently uses to showcase vendors of various items.

The Kamado Joe Roadshows are a cooperative effort by Costco and KJ and the warranty from KJ will apply.

To see when a KJ Roadshow might be in a Costco check this schedule periodically - https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Also you can go in on the 1st day & buy the demo units & they throw in some more goodies you just have to wait until the last day to pick up your unit.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Dondgc said:
    Kcheves said:

Cant be anymore of an issue with unhappy dealers when BGE lets one of their distributors open a retail BGE Dealership adjacent to the warehouse (as in the same building)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Dondgc
    bo31210 said:m

Dondgc said:
    Kcheves said:

Cant be anymore of an issue with unhappy dealers when BGE lets one of their distributors open a retail BGE Dealership adjacent to the warehouse (as in the same building)
    I'm not trying to argue about which kamado company has the most unhappy dealers. It was just a comment relative to a specific discussion
    New Orleans LA
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I spoke to a KJ dealer in in SoCal. He told me that KJ is stopping the Costco Roadshows. According to him lot's of dealers complained and said they were going to stop carrying KJ and the company agreed to stop with Costco.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    But can you lie about broken parts and get replacements? Asking for a friend.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If I were buying large or smaller right now and could get the roadshow price I would most likey go red as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Brason said:
    I spoke to a KJ dealer in in SoCal. He told me that KJ is stopping the Costco Roadshows. According to him lot's of dealers complained and said they were going to stop carrying KJ and the company agreed to stop with Costco.
    @Brason That’s interesting. One of the reasons I went BGE was because I didn’t agree with the way the Costco deal crushed the regular KJ dealer. 

Having done way too much research on both, an MSRP KJ is going to be as much, if not more, than a comparable BGE set up. Curious to see if no Moreno Costco prices affects sales or not. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Brason said:
    @Brason That’s interesting. One of the reasons I went BGE was because I didn’t agree with the way the Costco deal crushed the regular KJ dealer. 

Having done way too much research on both, an MSRP KJ is going to be as much, if not more, than a comparable BGE set up. Curious to see if no Moreno Costco prices affects sales or not. 
    From what I was told KJ would not even let their dealers match the Costco price. That is what got everyone upset. I called every dealer around me. I would have bought from any of them if they could have matched the price. That's when I heard the story. 

We will see if stopping the Costco Roadshow hurts their sales. It may be better for them in the long run to just do the roadshows. Who knows only time will tell. Either way I am happy with my purchase.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA