Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best cheese on a burger?

Options

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Why ruin a good burger with cheese? It is all about the meat!
    No it’s not. It’s about the meat combined with the bun, cheese, and condiments. The optimal combination is the goal.  If you want it to be all about the meat, make meatloaf. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    Kraft Deli Deluxe American.
    This is one application where cheap cheese just works, always has.  Mac n cheese is another American or Velveeta combo for the KO.  Clump free for me!

And that’s gross. 
    AHHH--HAAAAAhaha!!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options

If I'm cooking some 4 oz, two-fiddy/lb commodity beef burger that's going on factory buns with radioactive green dye pickles, American cheese product wrapped individually for a bunch of drunk a-hole friends, that crap is completely appropriate.

Why would you cook or eat any of this? I wouldn't even serve that to people I didn't like.

I take that back, I have, in the past, forced/volen-told to run the gasser for little league or rocket football concession stands. That said, I din't really like any of those people.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It depends on the burger. I like chopped olives and a little fluffed ham on a burger smothered in baby Swiss, or an all American burger with American cheese, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, dill pickles, and a little mayo; or Southwest style with a little salsa and pepper jack. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The late, esteemed Josh Ozersky, writer of “The Hamburger: A History,” declared American was the only appropriate cheese. Altho' a sort of sentimental favorite of his, he did mention that cheddar was wrong 'cause it released too much grease when melted. I suppose he'd consider any cheese like Swiss, that can be stringy, to be wrong too.

But he was talking about a standard beef patty.

Myself, I like a good goat burger with a 60/40 mix of chevre & feta.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Depending on my mood, I will eat any good cheese, even a greasy cheddar. I consider the definition of good cheese to be something that doesn't smell like dirty feet. That let's out ruining a good burger with bleu cheese. I would rather eat a tofu burger, at least I wouldn't gag. 

Okay, I am a heathen, but that's the way I roll. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oh, yeah, Tillamook cheddar is great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Maytag Blue with mushrooms sautéed in red wine. 
    IL 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Depends on the toppings

For a straight American burger its either sharp cheddar or American cheese...lettuce, tomato, dill pickles, onions

For a southwest burger topped with roasted green chiles and roasted red onions, provilone works best.  I dont know why but after experimenting this combi is hard. To beat

Lamb burgers...with cucumber, onion, tomato, tzatziki...feta is your best option

Guacamole burger with lettuce, onion tomato goes well with shredded monterey jack cheddar blend

For mushroom onion (cooked in butter and worcestershire) its blue cheese or swiss.  I lean toward blue cheese

For any burger topped with bacon, any cheese works

I recently made smoked burgers on BGE and topped them with apple wood smoked gouda and raw vidalia onions    these might have been the best burgers i ever made .  Wow

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Feta is the best cheese in a burger.

Anyone tried Halloumi on a burger?   Actually, anyone tried Halloumi as a burger?
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    For a southwest burger topped with roasted green chiles and roasted red onions, provilone works best.  I dont know why but after experimenting this combi is hard. To beat

I've had many, many GCCBs but never with Provolone; will try that tomorrow!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I love blue cheese bacon burgers just a real nice flavor combination imo
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I agree it depends on the burger, but sharp cheddar and blue cheese are my two go twos and I have been know to use both on the same burger.  In my book it’s hard to over cheese a burger!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Swiss. Nothing else comes close.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Blue cheese with frizzled onions on an upscale burger, you know in the pubs where they have a real candle on the table. 
    Provolone for us at home most of the time, stuff melts incredibly well, or old cheddar from an American dairy, medium if from a Canadian dairy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I’m an extra sharp sharp kind of guy myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited June 2018
    Options

There's a local family restaurant in town named Gebby's. It's a homey place with a quirk in that it only operates one shift per day. It opens at 6:00 AM and closes 8 hours later at 2:00 PM. Something I love from there is called a Gebby Burger. I finally decided this isn't rocket science and I'm now duplicating them at home on my BGE.

1 Starting with a 1/3# patty I wet it with Worcestershire,
    2 then sprinkle on Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Steak Rub and some garlic salt.
    3 Egg for 4/4/2 at 400°
    4 During the last 2 minutes I add a stack of cheeses consisting of 1 slice each of American, Swiss and hot pepper jack.
    5 Top with grilled onions and dill pickle slices.
    6 That is one yummy sandwich!!! That blend of cheeses may sound quirky but it works!
    7 Hail to the Gebby Burger!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Take your favorite cheese in general and make a sauce with sodium citrate. This way you can get the melty texture that lasts and the flavor of "real" cheese
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I know some of y’all are just not admitting it, but Fromunder cheese is several of y’alls favorite. You know who you are, and I have a good idea who several of you are as well ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    Kraft Deli Deluxe American.
    This is one application where cheap cheese just works, always has.  Mac n cheese is another American or Velveeta combo for the KO.  Clump free for me!

And that’s gross. 
    Try it, on top of your ground SRF brisket burger on cheap bun, and report back. 
    We don’t eat that “cheese” anymore. I ate lots of kraft and velveeta in high school there’s just lots of better options. If I’m feeding a crowd I usually get the publix deli to slice up the land o lakes white American but there’s too many good cheese option s in my opinion to eat kraft or velveeta anymore. Not saying it tastes bad just not something I prefer to eat anymore. I won’t let my kids eat them. 
    Why not let your kids decide?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Gubment cheese is not fake cheese, it might be blended and processed, but don't confuse it with "cheese product" which has vegetable oils and stuff that doesn't come from cows. 

Anyway, all that matters is taste as long as it melts into a pool of decadent goo...

Oh so true...………...

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    White American (not racist), Colby jack, extra sharp cheddar, Bleu
    I draw the line at fromunda....ha!!  ;)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We use a beer cheese spread, and others as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    provolone or Gouda..

#esketit
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    standing rule....nooooo orange cheese in my house for burgers.  ill put swiss on burgers but it does nothing for me, i find it has zero flavor profile for me, i dont taste it at all.  while i like an over the top burger, the simple white american cheese no frill burger hits the spot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Cheddar please. 

The trick of adding Sodium Citrate to melted cheese makes ANY cheese into melty goo-worthy slice of cheese for a burger. I've done it with hard swiss and gouda.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/08/grilled-cheese-sandwiches-to-knock-your-socks-off/

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    deli mild chedder or pepper jack. if cant get from a deli, go with Sargento slices
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I cold smoke cheddar the with A-mazn smoker, let it mild out for 2 week in the fridge.  I like to use that on burgers.  I have also done smoked Gouda and I am also a fan of mozzarella.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    You know those square cheese sticks that come in a package along with a Slim Jim? That. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave