Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I know some people don't like them, but if the spares are too thin, consider the baby backs, which are inherently thicker.

There likely isn't any one distributor that can handle all of Costco's pork needs so I suppose you have a different supplier than us because I don't have any problems with the quality.  Or maybe there is a big enough supplier but same deal with the source farms.
    Options
    Sitting here thinking about coming out of retirement and getting in on the ground floor (so to speak) in the burgeoning field of Space Traffic Management.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Sitting here thinking about coming out of retirement and getting in on the ground floor (so to speak) in the burgeoning field of Space Traffic Management.

Yeah, you could join:

Image result for spaceforce

Options
    @YukonRon I gave up on Costco ribs last year on the 4th. Just pitiful. Also they are far and away the hardest to get silver skin off. Li

That is weird man.  I buy them all the time and have never had an issue taking the membrane off.  Maybe I need to make a trip up to your place to show you how to do this properly,  as well as skunk removal.  

In terms of them being thin, @YukonRon, there is an easy way to prevent that - just look at the weight on the package.  

They always turn out pretty good for me. :i_dunno:
    Maybe your standards are so low it is ok for you....

Just kidding. I know you are a rib master.

The cartilidge and skeletal mass has been well above some previous purchases I have made, so the weight on the outside of the three pack was/is not an accurate indicator of quality or quantity for rib meat. It has happened twice now, and I can buy local, get better quality, and support our neighborhood.

I should have took them back. Shame on me, but I did not. I may pitch them or just go ahead and cook them up for my 7 month old puppy; Rose. She is a growing girl, 7 months old and about 75 pounds now.80" couch she covers a lot of space. Vet told us a couple weeks ago, we only have a couple more years of her growing.

Yea!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I know some people don't like them, but if the spares are too thin, consider the baby backs, which are inherently thicker.

There likely isn't any one distributor that can handle all of Costco's pork needs so I suppose you have a different supplier than us because I don't have any problems with the quality.  Or maybe there is a big enough supplier but same deal with the source farms.
    Yeah, the one that went in recently up here, changed distribution about a year ago, and since then the quality has dropped a bit. 

I do BBs all the time, and they have dropped in quality too, at Costco.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Could it be possible they just put more thin, crappy ribs in the package to "fool" the people that go by weight?  INCONCEIVABLE!
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Wow.  I can't even imagine maxing out your Shirley - your buddy is on an entirely different level.

Phoenix 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited June 2018
    Options

That is weird man.  I buy them all the time and have never had an issue taking the membrane off.  Maybe I need to make a trip up to your place to show you how to do this properly
    Spent quite a bit of time pullin the ol’ silver skin, eh?  ;);)

I’m guessing Louisville and Nashville have the same meat distributor for Costco. The back ribs are usually ok, it’s the spares that are scrappy. 

@YukonRon that dog is getting huge

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    Options
    Could it be possible they just put more thin, crappy ribs in the package to "fool" the people that go by weight?  INCONCEIVABLE!
    "I do not believe that word means what you think....."
    The Princess Bride

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    RIP Tony. Miss you already. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Just a typical day on the campus of Indiana University. Coach Archie Miller giving an in-state recruit (Mason Gillis) a tour. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Weight is just one proxy.  Generally you're looking at them too as best you can through the plastic, as you would with any cut of meat.    

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Yeah, you could join:

Good Lord and all of that...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Costco ribs have never done anything for me either. Same supplier as I can get locally and cheaper too.

Only good thing about Costco is the prime selection and sometimes it's "meh", like today. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Watched my friend cook 312 Turkeys over an open pit this past weekend for 2,500 people in a town of 180 people. This was our 4th year attending. Still amazed by it all.

That's pretty damn cool. Was Roger Mooking there?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Yeah, you could join:

I would join the Space Force.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Considering enlisting in the upcoming Space Force, only if I can be a space shuttle door gunner though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    blasting said:
    WeberWho said:

Wow.  I can't even imagine maxing out your Shirley - your buddy is on an entirely different level.

No doubt. It's an art. It's pretty cool seeing the town help out. From prepping to serving. Still can't fathom cooking 312 turkeys though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    thetrim said:
    WeberWho said:
    Watched my friend cook 312 Turkeys over an open pit this past weekend for 2,500 people in a town of 180 people. This was our 4th year attending. Still amazed by it all.

That's pretty damn cool. Was Roger Mooking there?
    I didn't see Roger Mooking. I'm a little surprised that the turkey bbq hasn't been on some type of tv/grilling show.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    Options
    WeberWho said:

How many change outs did he do?

That is impressive, and I do not care who you are or what your fuel source is.

That is a lot of trimming and serving right there. Was that a hand turned spit or rotisserie?

I would love to ess that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    WeberWho said:

How many change outs did he do?

That is impressive, and I do not care who you are or what your fuel source is.

That is a lot of trimming and serving right there. Was that a hand turned spit or rotisserie?

I would love to ess that.
    It's hard to take a picture of all the turkeys being cooked. All 312 turkeys are cooked at the same time. The rotisserie runs on a couple motors that are chain driven. The motors can be swapped out in seconds with the back up motors if one were to fail. You can't have turkeys not spinning over that type of heat. Really neat to see the whole operation and how it runs

Kind of puts everything into perspective for the meal

Minnesota
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Never did like Costco's ribs. Local butcher has good ones at a good price.  Best ribs are from Fresh Market. Mine only carries BB but keep an eye out for their BOGO.  I load up the deep freeze when they have the sale. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    WeberWho said:

That is just awesome 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Just crushed the 17st bbq burger at 17th street bar and grill. Horseradish cheddar is the best 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)