Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any others here remember "Old Dave"?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon maybe 15 years ago with Old Dave when there was a KCBQ sanctioned event in Peoria IL. Dave was an older gentleman even at that time. That weekend he was mentoring a young couple whose handle was "Ulcer Acres". I was able to learn a lot, just by keeping my mouth shut and ears open!

Dave was a regular on the old forum. Today I went searching and found his link and it obvious he is still active despite his age. 
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I remember Big Green Dave. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Your boy Old Dave is in to some funky grills. 

https://youtu.be/T3dUTujzyfM
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    When I first got the Hasty Bake I found Old Dave's setup for a snake burn that works great for low n' slow on the HB.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    I remember Big Green Dave. 
    Old Dave is not Big Green Dave!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Ron any chance he knows where Wes Johnson can be found?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    When I first got the Hasty Bake I found Old Dave's setup for a snake burn that works great for low n' slow on the HB.
    I have bought $4000 in Hasty Bake charcoal trying to get a free grill. Fingers crossed!  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, I certainly remember Old Gregg. His jump rope video was a classic for sure  ;)
    Oh, you said Old Dave, he was a big player on the Backwoods forum several years ago. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I use to corespond with him on the Backwoods forum. He seemed like a real down to earth and all around great guy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Old Dave is pretty active on the Brethren.  He’s been doing a lot of cooking on a Cobb grill lately.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    I have bought $4000 in Hasty Bake charcoal trying to get a free grill. Fingers crossed!  
    Sounds like you have my luck brother Tex. If it was raining cooter I would, well, err, you know the rest.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sounds like you have my luck brother Tex. If it was raining cooter I would, well, err, you know the rest.  
    Wait...it rains cooter??!!  Im moving to somewhere outside Biloxi. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I remember him. Loved his site and built my own “contraption” kind of like his. 
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dave was a regular on the old forum.
    He posted many of his cooks on the Backwoods forum as well. I haven’t looked in over 2 years, but the last time I tried checking in over there that forum had went the way of the Buffalo. 

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Is this really about another Rutland debt that needs to be settled?
  • RRP
    Options
    NO! If you ever read any of Old Dave's posts the man is/was a grilling guru who taught many people. He is/was a most gracious individual.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    NO! If you ever read any of Old Dave's posts the man is/was a grilling guru who taught many people. He is/was a most gracious individual.
    He is the reason that I bought a Backwoods Competitor years ago. Wish I still had it. 

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    Was just yanking your gasket, Ron! Sounds like he was one of the good ones. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I remember old Gregg, don’t remember and old Dave.
  • SGH
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    I remember old Gregg
    Him and @Mike_Hauchertz we’re classics for sure =)
    In loving memory of one of the forum greats. 

Status- Standing by.