Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad thermapen luck

Options
13»

Comments

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    You guys clearly bought the wrong color. 

I bought blazing Orange because I figured that was the most douchiest color of the bunch besides the lime green. Go big or go home right?

Lmao both of mine are lime green
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    i bought the pop(s) 2 of them when they were on sale for 19.99 and never had a problem I was going to get the pen but it was to rich for me at the time being a novice egger, well i egg a bit more now and  just got the pen (literally got it today) because it was on sale I hope I dont have any issues with the pen it was still a lot of coin but the jelly beans are great and definitely worth it.

(4) MK4's 0 issues and they get used and abused--I picked up a couple Javelin pros that I will test side by side tomorrow on a cook
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Might I ask why you have 4 Thermopens plus Javelins? 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    lkapigian I bought the TP on the sound advice of this forum and was shocked to hear some people are having trouble but I understand not everything can be great at all times so I hope mine are still the great and not part of a bad bach or something
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Not to defend a competitor but as another thermometer manufacturer, we certainly do sympathize. When food and electronics are in such close proximity, moisture and oil ingress is difficult to avoid, especially with a pivoting rotor. It sounds like that might be the case for many of the complaints here; oxidation in the on/off mechanism makes it inoperable or even shorting of the sensor making the readings highly inaccurate.  

Anyways, here's a sneak preview of what our team is working on right now. Internally, we nicknamed it the TPK; we'll let you guys guess what that means.

• lkapigian
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Might I ask why you have 4 Thermopens plus Javelins? 
    There is four of us on our cools, so we each have one. I bought the 2 Javelins for back up...got tired of everyone using mine so I bought 1 for everyone 

Just picked up 40 pounds of Chicken and 40 pounds of tri tip for tomorrow's cook
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Lavatools said:
    Not to defend a competitor but as another thermometer manufacturer, we certainly do sympathize. When food and electronics are in such close proximity, moisture and oil ingress is difficult to avoid, especially with a pivoting rotor. It sounds like that might be the case for many of the complaints here; oxidation in the on/off mechanism makes it inoperable or even shorting of the sensor making the readings highly inaccurate.  

Anyways, here's a sneak preview of what our team is working on right now. Internally, we nicknamed it the TPK; we'll let you guys guess what that means.

Nice. Catchy name too. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Lavatools said:

Somebody should consider a design where the probe is fixed but the probe sheath/cover folds back rather than being a separate/removable thing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's what I don't like about the Pop - the fact that it's a 2-piece device. Unless you want to stab yourself with it when it's in your pocket, you can't afford to lose the cap. That's why I don't own one and wouldn't want a TPK either.

Only had it a month or two, but so far, I'm loving the Javelin Pro Duo. Same as my T-pen!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback guys! I'll let our design team know and maybe we can implement a solution to your concern. 

The PT18 (aka TPK) is created as a replacement to traditional fixed probe thermometers used in commercial settings. The design is such to closely mimic the familiar form factor commercial operators are used to. For that reason, it's built tough, IPX7 tough.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Plus for the Javelin...magnet ...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Lavatools said:
    Thank you for your feedback guys! I'll let our design team know and maybe we can implement a solution to your concern. 

The PT18 (aka TPK) is created as a replacement to traditional fixed probe thermometers used in commercial settings. The design is such to closely mimic the familiar form factor commercial operators are used to. For that reason, it's built tough, IPX7 tough.
    cool to see new products on the horizon.

TPK = ThermaPen Killer?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That's what I don't like about the Pop - the fact that it's a 2-piece device. Unless you want to stab yourself with it when it's in your pocket, you can't afford to lose the cap. That's why I don't own one and wouldn't want a TPK either.

Only had it a month or two, but so far, I'm loving the Javelin Pro Duo. Same as my T-pen!
    I’ve had a Pop for 3yrs and never stabbed myself. Don’t even know where the sleeve is.  I check meat temp on the egg not in my pocket. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    You guys clearly bought the wrong color. 

I bought blazing Orange because I figured that was the most douchiest color of the bunch besides the lime green. Go big or go home right?
    Due to college football prejudices in this house I refuse to purchase anything orange!

Edited to actually stay on topic: I have a TP and it works great. No problems in 4 years of constant use. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options

I’ve had a Pop for 3yrs and never stabbed myself. Don’t even know where the sleeve is.  I check meat temp on the egg not in my pocket. 
    One of the first times I washed my thermopen, I stuck myself.  I learned to be more careful.

lkapigian said:
    Plus for the Javelin...magnet ...

My Lavatoys arrived today.  The documentation could be a little better.  I had no idea the Javelin had magnets in the back until I saw this post.  For the Carbon Lite, it took me some time to figure out the stand.  When I read that the Carbon Lite had a magnet in the back, I finally realized how the stand works "so that's what the steel plate is for."

I washed the Javelin and then dunked it in a glass of mostly ice and some water.  It read a fraction over 32F.  I couldn't play with the Carbon Lite yet...our home internet's been flaky and was down most of the day.  I'm downloading the app now.
  • njl
    Options
    Speaking of documentation, the Carbon Lite could really use some.  I just got the app (IOS), and its not at all clear how to properly utilize this thing to monitor pit temp (with the ambient sensor on the probe) with alarms for too cold (fire dying) or too hot (fire getting out of control) and also monitor the meat temp.  I think I figured it out after some fooling around in the app, but I'm really not at all sure.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I've had a Thermopen for probably five years with no issues until about a month ago, now I am having the issue where it doesn't work in some positions.  Still, five years of use and (maybe some) abuse, I can't complain.  

I can't imagine going back to cooking without an instant read digital thermometer.  When I need to replace, I will certainly consider other brands, but I do like the swing-open design and no separate cover to inevitably lose. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I received my Javelin and Carbon Lite as well.  Can't say I like the Carbon Lite as previously noted the directions aren't good.  The range of the Bluetooth was horrible and I wasn't sure how to read the app.  I pulled out my Thermopen and did a comparison.  Just with the ambient air the temp differences were 7 degrees.  I didn't take a picture of the boil test, but both were virtually spot on when I did do that.  I'll say the Javelin was quicker to reach temp. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • njl
    Options
    Stevez, was that fresh out of the box?  I ask because, I had to play with my Javelin Pro as soon as I'd noticed it arrived, and being a hot day the package and contents were hot.  When I opened the probe, it was reading about 80F in my 75F house.  I did an ice water test, and it was right on.  If I'd thought about it, I should have tested it in the boiling water tonight the mini potatoes were in.  Reading room temp air now, it seems to be no more than maybe 1F off.

I used it on burgers last night, and NYS steaks tonight.  I had the same weird issue on the steaks...I wonder if this could be a result of Costco "blade tenderizing" or if it's the marbeling (not that these were especially well marbled) and if the probe ends up in fat, it reads high?  These were 1.5" thick steaks, out of the fridge for about an hour, seared in cast iron on the stove top about 1min each side, then baked at 325F for 15min in the cast iron pan.  I tilted one about 45* up from sitting flat in the pan and stuck the probe in the dead center of the steak from the side that was lifted.  It read in the 160s.  My first thought was "damn...ruined that steak"...followed by "Inconceivable!  It can't be that done after that much cooking for this size steak."  I probed the second steak (cooked two from the 4-pack  tonight), and it was high 120s.  My wife and I shared the "more done" looking one for dinner (this was a 4 pack of NYS steaks with a total weight of 5lbs...so a bit over 1lb each).  At most, it was medium rare.

As for the Carbon Lite, better docs please, or even better, a how-to video covering how to monitor pit temp and meat temp when smoking something, hopefully with alarms for the pit temp being too high, too low, or meat temp reaching "done".  I'm an engineer, and if how to use it is unclear to me, you've failed at documenting it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TPK= (T)hermo (P)op (K)iller?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    njl said:
    Stevez, was that fresh out of the box?  I ask because, I had to play with my Javelin Pro as soon as I'd noticed it arrived, and being a hot day the package and contents were hot.  When I opened the probe, it was reading about 80F in my 75F house.  I did an ice water test, and it was right on.  If I'd thought about it, I should have tested it in the boiling water tonight the mini potatoes were in.  Reading room temp air now, it seems to be no more than maybe 1F off.

I used it on burgers last night, and NYS steaks tonight.  I had the same weird issue on the steaks...I wonder if this could be a result of Costco "blade tenderizing" or if it's the marbeling (not that these were especially well marbled) and if the probe ends up in fat, it reads high?  These were 1.5" thick steaks, out of the fridge for about an hour, seared in cast iron on the stove top about 1min each side, then baked at 325F for 15min in the cast iron pan.  I tilted one about 45* up from sitting flat in the pan and stuck the probe in the dead center of the steak from the side that was lifted.  It read in the 160s.  My first thought was "damn...ruined that steak"...followed by "Inconceivable!  It can't be that done after that much cooking for this size steak."  I probed the second steak (cooked two from the 4-pack  tonight), and it was high 120s.  My wife and I shared the "more done" looking one for dinner (this was a 4 pack of NYS steaks with a total weight of 5lbs...so a bit over 1lb each).  At most, it was medium rare.

As for the Carbon Lite, better docs please, or even better, a how-to video covering how to monitor pit temp and meat temp when smoking something, hopefully with alarms for the pit temp being too high, too low, or meat temp reaching "done".  I'm an engineer, and if how to use it is unclear to me, you've failed at documenting it.
    Yes, it was right out of the box, so that may have accounted for it.  As noted, both were dead on accurate with the boil test.  Later in my cook, they were both very close.  I was doing a roast so that tends to be more accurate, but I have similar experiences as you with steaks.  Very strange readings and don't trust it at times.  I've tried all angles, depths, etc and it gets frustrating.  I'll keep working at it and use a variety of methods.  Agree fully with your assessment of the Carbon Lite.  Wish I hadn't purchased it for what it can do now, with that poor documentation. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I haven't been on the forum much for a while. I'm trying to ween myself from my time management issues... (AKA too many internet forums). I will also say that I have had many issues with my T-Pens. I have a dead non-backlit and a temperamental backlit that I'm about to give up on. I too have replaced batteries and sent them back for service a couple of times. I got a bit more use out of them before acting up again.

A little over a year ago, a buddy of mine got a Traeger and I needed to get him a wedding gift. He was in need of an instant read thermometer and I discovered the Javelin Pro 2 Duo seemed to be a good deal. I bought two of them (one for him and one for me to compare to my T-Pen). I like the wake feature, how much easier the probe folds, etc. Last month my neighbor was over for dinner and he saw me using the Javelin and asked about it. He bought two from his phone and I traded some lump for one of them so now I have two. I'm a big fan of the Jav Pro as it just works for me.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    received a Javelin as a gift - always works, but wanted a longer unit. Bought the T-pen and has mostly worked but it is finicky about turning on sometimes. Bought a couple t-pops on one of the blem/recon sales. They always work unless I try to use them over our induction cook top which the magnets cause havoc with the pop's electronics. The Javelin pro looks nice and I like that it
    is longer than the original...

Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My Pop just went after 2-3 years too so both are dead. I ordered a Lava Tools Javelin Pro Duo and a Carbon Lite Blue Tooth. All for 30% less than an MK4. If they don't work I'll find something else. 

I can't say I'm disappointed with my Thermoworks stuff. They fixed my pen for a fair price when it broke  (2 times so I'm on my 3rd dead one in 5 years) and my pop lasted 3 years for $25. I would buy it again but figure if these things are going to go every couple of years I'll try the Lava Tools and see if they hold up better. If not, I'm in them for less than half the price and can replace as needed. The egghead discount is still in effect so i got he Duo Pro and Carbon Lite for $73 total with free shipping. We shall see...
  • njl
    Options
    Let us know if you figure out how the Carbon Lite "works"  :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    njl said:
    It is worthless. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    njl said:
    It is worthless. 
    I honestly cannot believe they sell that thing to people. Love the javelin pro but they should be ashamed of taking people’s cash for that POS (carbon lite) 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Man I must have the luck of the Irish. 

Mine has been through the laundry, rainy nights on the grill, and one unfortunate pool accident and the backlight is still working and it is always on point for temp after 2 years. 

Its the grilling equivalent of the 1980s “My Buddy” doll IMO. 

OK folks, this is how to care for them so they last longer!

My TP is also going south. (SGH will have fun with that)

'Lava Tools' has a well rated thermo.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• njl
    Options
    njl said:
    It is worthless. 
    I mentioned this in my recent brisket post...but I'm not sure if they did some updates or I just needed a fresh look at it.  I used the Carbon Lite this past weekend to monitor ambient and meat temp on a brisket I smoked.  I had no trouble monitoring the pit temp and setting an alarm for the meat temp.  It was a long/slow cook, and I was kind of keeping on eye on the Carbon Thermometer app on my iPhone.  One thing that kind of impressed me is that unlike the Anova app for my BT-enabled sous vide, the Carbon app didn't eat my iPhone battery.  Also, for BT, the range was impressive.  I never lost contact with it, anywhere in the house.

The app is still a little klunky...but I ended up using their default brisket profile, making a few changes to the temperatures, then saving it as a new name, which appears to have wiped out the original brisket profile.

It's still a little confusing, but far from worthless.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    njl said:
    njl said:
    It is worthless. 
    I mentioned this in my recent brisket post...but I'm not sure if they did some updates or I just needed a fresh look at it.  I used the Carbon Lite this past weekend to monitor ambient and meat temp on a brisket I smoked.  I had no trouble monitoring the pit temp and setting an alarm for the meat temp.  It was a long/slow cook, and I was kind of keeping on eye on the Carbon Thermometer app on my iPhone.  One thing that kind of impressed me is that unlike the Anova app for my BT-enabled sous vide, the Carbon app didn't eat my iPhone battery.  Also, for BT, the range was impressive.  I never lost contact with it, anywhere in the house.

The app is still a little klunky...but I ended up using their default brisket profile, making a few changes to the temperatures, then saving it as a new name, which appears to have wiped out the original brisket profile.

It's still a little confusing, but far from worthless.
    glad it worked for you. Mine dropped connection every 15 minutes and lost all the settings for the cook. Used once and in the drawer.