Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever used, much less heard of Gochujang?

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    The Asian market on University has it and just about anything else you can think of.  Great store if you've never been.
    Thanks - I've been there several times. It always amazes me to see those huge 40 or 50 pound bags of rice! Apparently they are a supplier to the Asian restaurants in the area.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    RRP said:
    The Asian market on University has it and just about anything else you can think of.  Great store if you've never been.
    Thanks - I've been there several times. It always amazes me to see those huge 40 or 50 pound bags of rice! Apparently they are a supplier to the Asian restaurants in the area.
    Ron, Asian people buy rice the way we buy lump.   They use it in just about every meal.  

I was fortunate enough growing up to have a Korean college student renting a room from my family.  I learned a lot about their culture and food. My family is still in touch with his and I have been to see him in Seoul several times.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We use it mixed with jerk paste to put on chicken - adds a bit of sweetness and makes the jerk paste stick better.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    RRP said:
    ... It always amazes me to see those huge 40 or 50 pound bags of rice! Apparently they are a supplier to the Asian restaurants in the area.
    The place I mentioned that had several varieties of gochujang not only has a stack of a couple of tons of different kinds of rice, but has a brief period each year when the space is cleared for the new crop. Never occurred to me that rice didn't have an indefinite shelf life, until I tried some of the fresh jasmine rice they got in.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I keep a tub in the fridge. It seems to last indefinitely. I think I first tried it at one of those Japanese steakhouses where they cook in front of you... one place in Nashville served it as their "hot sauce for steak". I asked the cook what it was and have been buying it ever since.  If I'm using it as a dipping sauce I'll typically thin it down with oil or soy sauce, sometimes water and add scallions, sugar or other stuff to it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Pretty easy to find and you should always have some around. Good stuff. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK, gang - is it hard to find? We have a couple Asian grocery stores in town so I guess I'll go looking tomorrow!
    Ron, our local grocery store - Harris Teeter - actually carries it.  If your local place has an “international” aisle, you might want to look for it there first.
    Just an FYI, but when I went to look for it at my two closest Harris Teeters (I’m in Raleigh), neither had the paste. They just had premade gochujang-based sauces. Ended up ordering a tub off Amazon for about $9, one of the legit ones with no English writing on it lol. 

I may be wrong (happens often) but I think most of the Korean recipes call for the paste and not the sauces that have all sorts of other ingredients. I’ve been really enjoying experimenting with it in some Asian-style sauces for ribs/wings/chicken, but still trying to nail it down. 

Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK, gang - is it hard to find? We have a couple Asian grocery stores in town so I guess I'll go looking tomorrow!
    Ron, our local grocery store - Harris Teeter - actually carries it.  If your local place has an “international” aisle, you might want to look for it there first.
    Just an FYI, but when I went to look for it at my two closest Harris Teeters (I’m in Raleigh), neither had the paste. They just had premade gochujang-based sauces. Ended up ordering a tub off Amazon for about $9, one of the legit ones with no English writing on it lol. 

I may be wrong (happens often) but I think most of the Korean recipes call for the paste and not the sauces that have all sorts of other ingredients. I’ve been really enjoying experimenting with it in some Asian-style sauces for ribs/wings/chicken, but still trying to nail it down. 

You are right.  The paste is what you want.  Like buying beef base vs consomme.  Look for fermented rice, wheat malt and soy, at the very least "fermented".  It's like miso. 
    Options
    My Korean brother-in-law recommends this brand:

That's kinda funny - It's good to know what an actual Korean suggests, but how the heck do I go about putting this on a grocery list or asking for this at a store?
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited June 2018
    Options
    blasting said:
    My Korean brother-in-law recommends this brand:

That's kinda funny - It's good to know what an actual Korean suggests, but how the heck do I go about putting this on a grocery list or asking for this at a store?
    Show a clerk the pix or just walk up and down the section looking for a match.

Amazon used to have that Assi brand available but apparently not at the moment:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    RRP said:

Good point, but some of those sauces are very close to the real deal in terms of texture and flavor.  I think it would give Ron a pretty good idea of what this stuff is about, but YMMV.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @blasting I am almost positive our Publix carries that brand. I saw it yesterday looking for some shallots. It was in the produce section next to the ginger and kimchi. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    I used it to make Korean thunder chicken from the halalpitmasters.com blog. Recipe here.  Bought from a large Asian grocery store.

• UNCHeels08
    Options
    zahulio said:
    I used it to make Korean thunder chicken from the halalpitmasters.com blog. Recipe here.  Bought from a large Asian grocery store.

@zahulio That looks great and I basically have all of the ingredients on hand already. How did you like it and how spicy was it? It doesn’t seem like it’d be too spicy with just the gochujang as spice but I have to be careful with heat due to the rest of my family. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    zahulio said:

@zahulio That looks great and I basically have all of the ingredients on hand already. How did you like it and how spicy was it? It doesn’t seem like it’d be too spicy with just the gochujang as spice but I have to be careful with heat due to the rest of my family. 
    @UNCHeels08 It's hardly spicy. My picky daughters loved it!
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Perfect. Going to try it soon, I love all of the ingredients in it so hopefully this is the combo I’ve been looking for. May try it first on some wings. Thanks. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options

I used the same brand as @zahulio to make Bobby Flay's version of Korean Chicken.  Here's a really old post, but it's in the rotation and requested often :-)

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198307/korean-chicken-cook#latest

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• RRP
    Options
    Went there today, couldn't find it, but ask the shop keeper who read my note and then spoke in English saying no he doesn't carry it and knew of no Korean grocery in our area. Then I went to our Kroger and sure enough they had it both in paste and in sauce form. I bought a tub of the paste. Only $4.19 for a 500 gram tub. Brand is Sempio.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol this is gonna be like the next siracha.  You know, some red Asian sauce that's been around for ten thousand years, and then some white guy discovers it and it becomes all the rage ;)
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Well, WTH. Ordered it from AMz.
    Lets see what its all about. Cant go wrong with a price of 9$

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Lol this is gonna be like the next siracha.  You know, some red Asian sauce that's been around for ten thousand years, and then some white guy discovers it and it becomes all the rage ;)
    Already is. It’s the Asian Condiment/Sauce of 2018. The Kroger and HEB near me both carry multiple brands of the paste and gochujang sauces. 

@RRP Sempio is a well known Korean brand that makes pretty decent galbi and bulgogi marinades too, if you feel like giving them a try. The hot versions are not very spicy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • odie91
    Options
    Well call me blasphemous, but this is the version I like .   Adultered with all those ingredients.  I see the word "fermented" mentioned in there though, so don't stone me ;)
  • odie91
    Options
    Btw, the 4th, 5th and 6th korean characters say gochujang.  The ones before and after, I'm notnsure
  • caliking
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Btw, the 4th, 5th and 6th korean characters say gochujang.  The ones before and after, I'm notnsure
     That actually looks like a pretty good sauce. Doesn't seem to have thickeners like xanthan gum or other stuff. Plus points for having gochugaru and pear in it .

• odie91
    Options
    caliking said:
    odie91 said:
     That actually looks like a pretty good sauce. Doesn't seem to have thickeners like xanthan gum or other stuff. Plus points for having gochugaru and pear in it .

Lol, certainly you don't really believe "natural pear flavor" has even on molecule of a real pear in it do you lol ?   ;)  ;)
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    There are several post on the forum for Korean Chicken.  Here’s one I’ve made & used Gochujang and it’s one I will make again. 
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/korean-grilled-chicken-recipe-1921151

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • caliking
    Options
    odie91 said:
    caliking said:
    odie91 said:

Lol, certainly you don't really believe "natural pear flavor" has even on molecule of a real pear in it do you lol ?   ;)  ;)
    Point taken.  But given all the other carp that typically goes in to making bottled sauces, and which aren't in that one, I'm going with at least a few molecules of pear being in that bottle.

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    This month's cooks illustrated magazine has a recipe in it for Gochujang - I'll see if I can get that posted for anyone interested
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    This month's cooks illustrated magazine has a recipe in it for Gochujang - I'll see if I can get that posted for anyone interested
    Yes, please!
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I also make Asian style spicy cucumbers with Gochujang.  Goes great with almost everything.  

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen