Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Korean Chicken Cook

Last night's cook was something I saw on the food network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/korean-grilled-chicken-recipe.html). Sparked my interest b/c it called for a chili paste I ordered on Amazon a while back - gochujang. Went indirect at 350 to temp. Outstanding flavor and maybe better tonight for the one piece that was left. 

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

Comments

• mrs_storymrs_story Posts: 136
    I'm interested in trying gochujang.  Going to a big Asian grocery store at the end of the week. 

To me, Korean standard of hot is HOT.  Do you feel like gochujang has just heat, or do you notice other flavors, too? 

By the way -- your chicken looks yummy! 
  • bg_easybg_easy Posts: 41
    Not spicy, just a lot of flavor. I've had Korean food that will floor you. This wasn't that type of spice. 
    Best smelling cook so far.
    Thanks!

• feef706feef706 Posts: 848
    Bookmarked, looks really good man.
  • mrs_storymrs_story Posts: 136
    bg_easy said:
    Not spicy, just a lot of flavor. I've had Korean food that will floor you. This wasn't that type of spice. 
    Best smelling cook so far.
    Thanks!
    Thank you -- this is very helpful! 

It's like kimchi . . . some is just HOT, but some is hot & flavorful.  There is a buffet in my hometown that has tasty kimchi.  When we visit I get a container to enjoy at home.  :D

A pile of rice, your chicken, and some kimchi . . .  sounds really good!
  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,727
    Did his last week. Fan-damn-tastic! 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. My wings either. 
  • I just bought some gochujang at an Asian market just to make this same Bobby Flay recipe. Yours looks like it turned out great. Now I really can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • I bought the paste awhile back and haven't used any. Thanks for sharing the cook. I'm putting it on the menu for the weekend.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,006
    It sure looks great!  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,041
    Looks great and looks perfect for a mess of thighs.

Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 984
    Looks great. I do Korean chicken wings to rave reviews. Just toss the finished wings in the marinade. Tortillas are an odd choice, tho. Lettuce leaves are more traditional. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Looks great to me!
    When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip.

Nashville, TN

www.dantnation.com
  • bg_easy said:
    Last night's cook was something I saw on the food network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/korean-grilled-chicken-recipe.html). Sparked my interest b/c it called for a chili paste I ordered on Amazon a while back - gochujang. Went indirect at 350 to temp. Outstanding flavor and maybe better tonight for the one piece that was left. 

BG_Easy, you can find gochujang and other Asian ingredients at the Hong Kong market on the West Bank.  Their BBQ duck is pretty killer too.  Makes it worth the trip.

Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • bg_easybg_easy Posts: 41
    Thanks!  That's my old stomping ground. I'll check it out next time I'm visiting family. 

• BrueggeDadBrueggeDad Posts: 110
    This looks great! 
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • odie91odie91 Posts: 481
    edited June 12
    Edit- .Posted in wrong thread
  • zahuliozahulio Posts: 80
    This looks delicious. I bet it would be even better with "Lightning sauce."
  • FrostyEggFrostyEgg Posts: 229
    Looks fantastic. Trying this for sure.