Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missed it again

JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
Searching CL last night, saw a Mini for sale. But I was too late. I really want one. Might have to pick up a new one and just deal with it. 

Who has one and how often do you use it?
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I had to have to have one also. Never use it. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I’m with in the have but don’t use territory.  I think I have lit it 2x in the last 3 yrs.  where you located?
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    I got lucky on CL a couple years ago. In box small for a decent deal. Guy wouldn’t budge on price but I still saved. He was a sales guy and this was the third he won in a contest. I have used it maybe 5 times. We just finished the patio last year and it looks damn terrific built in next to the large though. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a KJ Jr and Acorn that are the same size.  Rarely use them.  Great for traveling tho.
    Usually you grill on those, and if that's the case, there are much cheaper, lighter excellent grills in that size range.  If you will be smoking stuff, nevermind.
    Usually you grill on those, and if that's the case, there are much cheaper, lighter excellent grills in that size range.  If you will be smoking stuff, nevermind.
    Agree. If you get a good deal, it’s “cool” to have a smaller one, but I bet you fire up your large or XL way more. I can get my large up to temp and set way faster since I’m used to it, so I rarely even think about using the small. Every once in a while I will be doing a couple different things and will use it, but those situations are rare. I actually did this past weekend though. Had the large loaded with chicken wings and did some poppers in the small. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I have a small and a large.  Between the two i Use the small maybe 60% of the time for grilling and 10% smoking. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I have one. Didn’t think i’d use it much when I first bought it but I put it to use very frequently and it hardly uses any lump. Plus it travels well. Recently brought it with me on a business trip and cooked some of the other guys some steaks on it one night. Minds were blown. Just buy the new one and get the warranty. Enjoy!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have one.  I keep it so that I can say I have one when people ask.
  • JMCXL
    U_tarded said:
    I’m with in the have but don’t use territory.  I think I have lit it 2x in the last 3 yrs.  where you located?
    New Jersey 
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2018
    I bought mine new off Craigslist for $100. A fun little grill for $100. That's about how much I think it's worth.

I use my Weber Jumbo Joe 9 times out of 10 over my Mini. I can buy 13 of my Jumbo Joe grills for the price of one new BGE Mini. That might say something about how crazy the price of a Mini has become
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    JMCXL said:
    U_tarded said:
    New Jersey 
    Yes that’s a little far I don’t think shipping would be great but I would let mine go on the cheap.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I went with a KJ jr. instead. Great when just cooking for 1 or 2. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a KJ Jr and Acorn that are the same size.  Rarely use them.  Great for traveling tho.
    Those are mini-max size. Mini is 10" diameter. It is a wee little fellow. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    I have a Large and the MM and I use the MM at least 2 to 3 days a week as I'm just cooking for 2. During the weekend when I need more real estate or I'm doing long cooks then I fire up the large. I did buy mine on CL and got a good deal on it. 
    O-Town, FL

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I think a mini would be a bit small for daily use. I have a large and a joe jr. Use the jr 90% of the time. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My mini gets fired around 4-5 times a week. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Srf_in_Dfw Posts: 42
    For what it's worth I have a large and a minimax. I use the MM all the time, it's a machine. I plan to take it on vacation so I tested out a 9.5lb pork butt on it last week. It barely fit but came out great. I was amazed. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I bought a brand new never used Mini off of CL for 200.....used the neck out of it.....twice
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I have two XLs, a L and a MM.  MM definitely gets the most use.  Heats up fast, uses fuel efficiently and is  workhorse
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Kamado Akorn Jr can't be beat for the price.   Walmart and Amazon will have a sale in the fall.  There was a post that I think HeavyG started last year and I picked one up for about $90.00   Use it often and it's great for burgers.  I've even used it with my Himalayan salt block.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Kamado Akorn Jr can't be beat for the price.   Walmart and Amazon will have a sale in the fall.  There was a post that I think HeavyG started last year and I picked one up for about $90.00   Use it often and it's great for burgers.  I've even used it with my Himalayan salt block.   

For those of you that have the Akorn Jr. What impressed you so much about it? I've looked at them a few times because so many on here like them and from what I could tell they looked and felt like pieces of junk. Like those $40 Walmart Grills that will rust out after you cook on them twice. Did I miss something here other than the fact that its shaped like a Kamado?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I sometimes think I should have a Small or Medium instead of my Mini.  But then I'll reverse sear a steak on it and I forget all about it. 

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have an alert set up in CL with any posting related to BGE. I want one and will get one one day.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JMCXL
    U_tarded said:
    JMCXL said:
    U_tarded said:
    New Jersey 
    Yes that’s a little far I don’t think shipping would be great but I would let mine go on the cheap.
    What state are you in, I travel (by car ) often
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just sold my akorn jr and got a jumbo joe 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited June 2018
    XL and MM. Use both all the time. Potatoes and veggies in one,  proteins and larger cooks in the other. Occasionally I will use the MM for when it is just us two, like when the kids are back to school. 
    Did two whole beef tenderloins at BB3 in the MM this year. I love it. It is our travel cooker.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky