Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food storage "Brilliance"

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Ever get rock hard brown sugar?  Or flour and sugar that spills each time you open the bag?  These things eventually pushed me over the edge. 

Decided to try the brown sugar container first, as they are a bit spendy, but man are they worth it.  Some BBB 20% off coupons, set and piece by piece, things are much better.  :)

Non BPA, tight Pelican-like seal, built in vents under the tabs for the microwave, clear plastic, all of them stack nicely, these things are indeed brilliant....I highly recommend the Rubbermaid Brilliance line if doing a pantry, fridge, lunch, leftover, storage upgrade.

Living the good life, clump free!!!

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I like this idea.
    Love the "White Flour" fist.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Options
    I like this idea.
    Love the "White Flour" fist.
    You know me, and free stickers.
    Nurses love their Sharpies too.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    "brown sugar", ~phew~
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    We use those some containers. They are awesome! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Focker
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    All our flours, sugars, grains and rice are stored in Cambros. Even do my SV in them. A handy tip is to pick up some cheap 1 cup measuring cups to keep stored in each one. 

Nice.
    I keep my bread and 00 flour in the fridge.  Extra 00 in the freezer.
    One KA bag fits perfectly, as seen in the pic.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Too soon?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    No matter how careful I am pouring flour from the bag into a container, I inevitably wind up with a mist of flour covering every square inch of counter space.  Same with washing a spoon... I may as well just hose down the kitchen. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    No matter how careful I am pouring flour from the bag into a container, I inevitably wind up with a mist of flour covering every square inch of counter space.  Same with washing a spoon... I may as well just hose down the kitchen. 

yup---always looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy Exploded
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I use a scoop to avoid this. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Costco has the smaller ones on sale right now. Where you have the smaller ones stacked that bottom one was $12.99 at BBB and I got 3 for Costco the other day for $12.99. The containers are great though we bought 2 of the sets and 3 of the bigger ones. Best containers ever.
  • Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    Costco has the smaller ones on sale right now. Where you have the smaller ones stacked that bottom one was $12.99 at BBB and I got 3 for Costco the other day for $12.99. The containers are great though we bought 2 of the sets and 3 of the bigger ones. Best containers ever.
    Nice work, and I agree, they're great.
    That big one is part of a 10 piece set pictured.  2 smalls, 2 mediums, 1 large, $19.99 I believe.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I pour the flour onto the back of the scoop to avoid this.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Too soon?
    Lmao!
    I've got that Rubbermaid container covered.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh, I ue a scoop as well....then I clip the lip of the container with the lip of the scoop and spilling half in the container rest on said counter and floor---BTW why won't the dogs lick up spilled flour like they do everything else
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have a few containers (available at Amazon) called "Buddeez"; they're sized so you just drop the whole bag into the container, open the paper top, then seal the plastic lid:

I bought several of these when I was in my PizzaOverload phase; they fit sugar bags perfectly.  They're also made for birdseed bags, cat food, Purina Octopus Chow™, etc.  
    Note: flour will pour out of the bag and into the plastic container when you tip them upside down to read the brand name on the bottom for your BGE forum buddies; you're welcome.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Oh and for the OP, I don't understand "Pelican-like seal" with "microwave vents"....?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Focker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Oh and for the OP, I don't understand "Pelican-like seal" with "microwave vents"....?  
    https://youtu.be/WOUjryEkA9A
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@YukonRon says it best - this site is wallet genocide.

I'm perfectly happy, living a simple life - then I log onto the BGE site and need to spend fat stacks on something I never even knew existed.  Ya'll are evil.

Phoenix 
  • Botch
    Options
    Ah, thank you!  That's cool and you're making me spend more money.  

• Focker
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    Just paying it forward.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    These are amazing times in which we are living.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How long have you been able to keep brown sugar in one of these? Mine stays usable for quite a while just wrapped tightly in the original bag. But I NEVER get through the whole bag before it hardens. Tempted to just mix sugar and molasses "to order" whenever I need brown sugar. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Wife has all of her baking supplies in them. They’re nice. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Does anybody know if the empty containers will fit inside each other in the cabinet?  Our current rubbermade containers stack empty with the lids on top which is nice since our cabinets are so full. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ATK says you have a winner. =) One of the commenters suggested canning jars. Those would be good for some things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprgFWLgguM

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    How long have you been able to keep brown sugar in one of these? Mine stays usable for quite a while just wrapped tightly in the original bag. But I NEVER get through the whole bag before it hardens. Tempted to just mix sugar and molasses "to order" whenever I need brown sugar. 
    The one I have for brown sugar has a terra cotta disk that you soak in water. I’ve only had it for a little while but it seems to work well. 
  • Botch
    Options
    Does anybody know if the empty containers will fit inside each other in the cabinet?  Our current rubbermade containers stack empty with the lids on top which is nice since our cabinets are so full. 
    The Buddeez don't, but they're for pantry raw items and not leftovers so it's not an issue.  
    My few Rubbermaids stack too, that helps a lot.  

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ATK says you have a winner. =) One of the commenters suggested canning jars. Those would be good for some things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprgFWLgguM
    Thanks for sharing this video Q.
    I still use Ball jars for various things.  Chimichurri, vinaigrettes, sauces, rubs, roasted garlic, etc.

My previous hodge-podge collection of stained plastic is slowly going away.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    The one I have for brown sugar has a terra cotta disk that you soak in water. I’ve only had it for a little while but it seems to work well. 
    I see clumps!!!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities