Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty.....easy peasy

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Character: you either have it or you don’t. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    True dat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So @SamIAm2 , if I buy a car and drive down the street and carelessly run into an obstruction and dent the door. I should go back to the dealer and ask for a new one. Got it.

Character, you either have it or you don’t. This sort of mindset is a cancer on our society. Free chit isn’t always a good thing, sometimes it’s just an embarrassment.  I can assure you the rep had a few choice words in private. Sad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Simple. 

If ran into that very same car dealer at a car show a few months later and he saw the banged up car door and said "you know what we really appreciate your business let us take care of that dent for you".  I would buy all my cars from them, my friends and family would too, and not on the premise that they hand out repairs but the fact that they care about the customer and can see beyond the the holy $.
      I understand your argument @pgprescott but boy you are hostile!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    OMG.  Had I known a simple post praising a company for it's customer care would morph into some damn debate over morals and sexual harassment I would have never posted anything.  From now on I'll stick to solid tasting food, yet I still may be somewhat hesitant that it will lead into something completely different.  Happy cooking y'all
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Just don’t shoplift the food............

Little Rock, AR

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Shaking down the folks at SRF for free stuff = character.
    Get ya some!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't know the answer to these question...

Does BGE specify in their warranty under which conditions they will honour a claim for breakage?

Only if the piece breaks while you're passively looking at it? Only in the event of a hurricane?

What if there was an unseen casting flaw that caused the piece to be more fragile? An inclusion that made it vulnerable to extremes of heat?

Why do people buy an Egg when they are so much more expensive than KJ, for instance...and, in the main, looking more and more like old technology by comparison?

Everyone here told me my Egg would continue to cook fine with a hairline crack in the base because they had been doing it on theirs for x number of years. Is it "wrong" to hit up BGE for a cracked firebox or a cracked base and then never use it? Store it in the garage for, literally, years?

Who determines all this?

Who determines character?
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Huh? You physically broke your PS and arm twisted a rep into paying for your carelessness and then your faith in humanity was restored. Mine was not. I am continually amazed. That isn’t customer service, it’s cowardice. Jeez. 
    Question for you @pgprescott Who actually eats the cost of the plate setter in that situation? Or any warranty claim for that matter? For instance, i just got a new fire box that had cracked into 3 large pieces from my dealer. 
     The warranty cost it part of the price set by BGE.  Every person who buys a new item from BGE is paying a portion of the warranty claim.

If BGE had no warranty then the MSRP would be a lot less.

As far as the OP and his plate setter, I assume he explained how he broke it to the rep, and the BGE rep agreed to replace it.  That is cool and totally up to BGE.
    This is where the rubber meets the road. When you ask for it and you know it’s wrong then it’s wrong. Counting on a company to do the wrong thing because they would rather give you something you don’t deserve than take the chance you bad mouth them doesnt make it right. Fundamental lack of
    character and respect for others and their perspective. There is no way you can spin this as ok. Is it a huge deal individually, no. Societally it is ginormous.  
     I won't change your mind, but if you tell a company up front what happened I don't see an issue.  If you get upset and blast them when they say no, then you have a character problem.

Did you lay into the Sugar Glider lady from the devastated thread?
    The rep isn’t the company. He likely isn’t an employee of said company. Also the time and place that he was ambushed was not without calculation IMO. Businesses choose to do the wrong thing ethically all the time for a myriad of reasons. Doesn’t make it correct or right. It also doesn’t absolve the individual of his knowingly asking for something for which he knows he is not entitled. Many victims of sexual harassment say nothing and go along with the mistreatment for years, is it ok? Now I know it’s not exactly the same, but wrong is wrong. This quite frankly is shocking to me that it’s even close to a debate. If you ask a coworker to steal something at work for you and you take the item, is it ok cuz he said he would? Would your employer agree? It’s black and white. Those who see grey should re-evaluate. 

Never got into that other thread.

I found this one particularly disturbing much like one years ago when a guy bragged about brow beating a store manager into selling him lump that had been mispriced by a high school employee. The item wasn’t advertised and the error was caught and corrected. The guy threw a fit in the store until the manager allowed him to buy the entire pallet. I would have removed him. Those people are always welcome to shop at my competitors place of business. I honestly don’t know how some people look in the mirror.  
     The rep was hired by and represents the company, hence the name "Representative".  They are also empowered to make decisions.

Sexual assault? That is a straw man argument.

The guy with the pallet was a complete tool and deserved to get tossed out.  That is a totally different situation.
    Your right. This guy is spot on. The rep works for the distributor. Yes he reps the product line, But the rep had to lie to get this done, just saying. That says it all. He either lied or paid out of his pocket. You tell me which happened. You need an ethics class or something????? If there is nothing wrong, how come someone has to lie at some point to complete the action? Jeez, I won’t leave my wallet laying around. The guy at best found a rep willing to knowingly defraud a third party with both the first two parties knowing that they were doing so. Yep, you’re right, cool beans all the way. 
     I have assumed all the way through the transaction nobody lied.  These types of claims are known as "good will" claims.  Nobody has to lie to get a claim.

If someone, anywhere, in the transaction lies then there is an issue.  I do not disagree with that.

We are both agreeing that lying or strong arming is wrong.  Where we disagree is on the idea of a good will warranty.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Think I'd cook 1/2" steaks as your first cook with the new PS! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Think I'd cook 1/2" steaks as your first cook with the new PS! 
    That kind of move would definitely take character.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    I would roll out some pizza dough and draw a big bird in red sauce on it to stick it to the cuck/haters, who unfairly outlined an entire personality profile on you based on one post.
    LOL. Yeah, it did escalate rather quickly...
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I would roll out some pizza dough and draw a big bird in red sauce on it to stick it to the cuck/haters, who unfairly outlined an entire personality profile on you based on one post.
    LOL. Yeah, it did escalate rather quickly...
    You gotta stop these things at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I don't know the answer to these question...

Does BGE specify in their warranty under which conditions they will honour a claim for breakage?

Only if the piece breaks while you're passively looking at it? Only in the event of a hurricane?

What if there was an unseen casting flaw that caused the piece to be more fragile? An inclusion that made it vulnerable to extremes of heat?

Why do people buy an Egg when they are so much more expensive than KJ, for instance...and, in the main, looking more and more like old technology by comparison?

Everyone here told me my Egg would continue to cook fine with a hairline crack in the base because they had been doing it on theirs for x number of years. Is it "wrong" to hit up BGE for a cracked firebox or a cracked base and then never use it? Store it in the garage for, literally, years?

Who determines all this?

Who determines character?
    From my experiences with warranty issues is that that if it broke while you had been cooking with it that it is covered.  If you drop it or knock a piece over when is laying against something, that is usually on you from what my dealer told me.  I am on my third fire box and I believe it was from doing 700 degree+ steak cooks and now use GrillGrates and only get the egg to about 550 or so.  No problems since.  I am on my third and last replacement plate setter that had cracked during cooking.  I was told by me dealer that when I go may latest PS is that it would be the last one to be replaced since at the time my XL was almost 3 years old and that the PS is only warrantied for 3 years.  I also believe if you egg is damaged by a storm your home owners insurance may cover it depending on your home owners policy. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Huh? You physically broke your PS and arm twisted a rep into paying for your carelessness and then your faith in humanity was restored. Mine was not. I am continually amazed. That isn’t customer service, it’s cowardice. Jeez. 
    Question for you @pgprescott Who actually eats the cost of the plate setter in that situation? Or any warranty claim for that matter? For instance, i just got a new fire box that had cracked into 3 large pieces from my dealer. 
     The warranty cost it part of the price set by BGE.  Every person who buys a new item from BGE is paying a portion of the warranty claim.

If BGE had no warranty then the MSRP would be a lot less.

As far as the OP and his plate setter, I assume he explained how he broke it to the rep, and the BGE rep agreed to replace it.  That is cool and totally up to BGE.
    This is where the rubber meets the road. When you ask for it and you know it’s wrong then it’s wrong. Counting on a company to do the wrong thing because they would rather give you something you don’t deserve than take the chance you bad mouth them doesnt make it right. Fundamental lack of
    character and respect for others and their perspective. There is no way you can spin this as ok. Is it a huge deal individually, no. Societally it is ginormous.  
     I won't change your mind, but if you tell a company up front what happened I don't see an issue.  If you get upset and blast them when they say no, then you have a character problem.

Did you lay into the Sugar Glider lady from the devastated thread?
    The rep isn’t the company. He likely isn’t an employee of said company. Also the time and place that he was ambushed was not without calculation IMO. Businesses choose to do the wrong thing ethically all the time for a myriad of reasons. Doesn’t make it correct or right. It also doesn’t absolve the individual of his knowingly asking for something for which he knows he is not entitled. Many victims of sexual harassment say nothing and go along with the mistreatment for years, is it ok? Now I know it’s not exactly the same, but wrong is wrong. This quite frankly is shocking to me that it’s even close to a debate. If you ask a coworker to steal something at work for you and you take the item, is it ok cuz he said he would? Would your employer agree? It’s black and white. Those who see grey should re-evaluate. 

Never got into that other thread.

I found this one particularly disturbing much like one years ago when a guy bragged about brow beating a store manager into selling him lump that had been mispriced by a high school employee. The item wasn’t advertised and the error was caught and corrected. The guy threw a fit in the store until the manager allowed him to buy the entire pallet. I would have removed him. Those people are always welcome to shop at my competitors place of business. I honestly don’t know how some people look in the mirror.  
     The rep was hired by and represents the company, hence the name "Representative".  They are also empowered to make decisions.

Sexual assault? That is a straw man argument.

The guy with the pallet was a complete tool and deserved to get tossed out.  That is a totally different situation.
    Your right. This guy is spot on. The rep works for the distributor. Yes he reps the product line, But the rep had to lie to get this done, just saying. That says it all. He either lied or paid out of his pocket. You tell me which happened. You need an ethics class or something????? If there is nothing wrong, how come someone has to lie at some point to complete the action? Jeez, I won’t leave my wallet laying around. The guy at best found a rep willing to knowingly defraud a third party with both the first two parties knowing that they were doing so. Yep, you’re right, cool beans all the way. 
     I have assumed all the way through the transaction nobody lied.  These types of claims are known as "good will" claims.  Nobody has to lie to get a claim.

If someone, anywhere, in the transaction lies then there is an issue.  I do not disagree with that.

We are both agreeing that lying or strong arming is wrong.  Where we disagree is on the idea of a good will warranty.
    I googled “Good will warranty “ maybe you should. It explicitly says something out of warranty that failed, but shouldn’t have. Seems reasonable. Not at all the sitch here! I think you should pay these good Will claims and then we will see how you like them. The reason the warranty is short on the PS to begin with is fraud and abuse. Hell, everyone likes free chit. Everyone wants someone else to pay for their carelessness. Folks gotta live with themselves. I’d be embarrassed and ashamed. You, apparently not so much. And so we go on. It’s a real mystery why it’s such a dishonest country. It’s hurray for me a F you that rules the day. So sad. I argue that if you know the correct path you should take it and not try to short cut it for your personal gain at others expense. It’s called character, morality, honor, integrity. Pick one or all of them. These aren’t victimless actions. Someone or many pay for others mistakes. Guy responsible didn’t pay. Hey, whatever. I’m offended by these things. Your not. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    @pgprescott you keep attacking my character.  I find that rather offensive.  If nobody lied, everyone knew the entire situation, then I fail to see the issue.

If BGE decides to replace it, knowing the entire circumstance, why is that such an awful thing?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    "It’s called character, morality, honor, integrity."

Always funny to see a red hat talking about character, morality, honor, integrity in people and bemoaning the alleged decline of same in our nation.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm conflicted here. If as the OP states he told the dealer about the issue and the dealer agreed to honor a warranty claim then that's on the dealer. I think its a little extreme to be getting mad at the OP. We don't know what went on in the dealers mind. Maybe the dealer is fine with eating the cost of the platesetter in hopes that the OP will do further business with him. If so, that's pretty smart business. (Take a little hit here for future business later). Now if the dealer then went back to the Mothership to get recouped for the broken platesetter that's pretty scummy but again that's on the dealer not the OP. Maybe I missed it but where did the OP say they intentionally went to this dealer with the hopes that they could screw them over by making a false warranty claim. What I read, the OP simply stated they were talking to a dealer about warranties and the convo happened to progress to where the dealer said "Hey take a picture of your broken platesetter and we can get you a new one" I get where you're coming from @pgprescott, I agree with you there are scumbag moochers out there nowadays but the OP doesn't seem like one from what I read.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I feel like Colonel Jessup's going to show up and start posting in this thread  any minute here now.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    So @SamIAm2 , if I buy a car and drive down the street and carelessly run into an obstruction and dent the door. I should go back to the dealer and ask for a new one. Got it.

Character, you either have it or you don’t. This sort of mindset is a cancer on our society. Free chit isn’t always a good thing, sometimes it’s just an embarrassment.  I can assure you the rep had a few choice words in private. Sad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Simple. 

If ran into that very same car dealer at a car show a few months later and he saw the banged up car door and said "you know what we really appreciate your business let us take care of that dent for you".  I would buy all my cars from them, my friends and family would too, and not on the premise that they hand out repairs but the fact that they care about the customer and can see beyond the the holy $.
      I understand your argument @pgprescott but boy you are hostile!

This ^ actually happened to my parents. They bought a car from a dealer. A few months later brought it in for an oil change, and they had a door ding. My dad asked them how much it would cost to fix it. The service guy looked at it and said we will take care of it don't worry about it. Does that make my dad a scumbag? Doesn't sound like it to me. He offered to pay and they said don't worry about it. That's on the dealer to worry about how they get recouped for it,not because my Dad was trying to be a moocher. They have bought every car since from that dealer, as well as my brother has, and I have. Now this is slightly different than the OP's situation in that my dad offered 1st to pay and also it was to remove a scratch not because the door was broken.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2018
    Options
    From my experiences with warranty issues is that that if it broke while you had been cooking with it that it is covered.  If you drop it or knock a piece over when is laying against something, that is usually on you from what my dealer told me.  I am on my third fire box and I believe it was from doing 700 degree+ steak cooks and now use GrillGrates and only get the egg to about 550 or so.  No problems since.  I am on my third and last replacement plate setter that had cracked during cooking.  I was told by me dealer that when I go may latest PS is that it would be the last one to be replaced since at the time my XL was almost 3 years old and that the PS is only warrantied for 3 years.  I also believe if you egg is damaged by a storm your home owners insurance may cover it depending on your home owners policy. 
    On general principle I would say it is dishonest to ask the dealer to replace something that did not break during normal usage. But the whole idea of a warranty is to spell out, in detail, under what circumstances claims will be honoured.

If the dealer or the parent company doesn't specify those circumstances then it is on them.

People can, in good faith, interpret vague assurances differently.

If the warranty isn't specific, perhaps it was written intentionally so. And the dealer or parent co. likes having the "good will" that is generated by going the xtra mile.

If the warranty is specific and the dealer or parentco, etc. doesn't adhere very strictly to the terms, then the onus is, once again, on them.  IMO.

And FWIW...for those who are open to considering the vagaries of business in general (including the rampant deception and misrepresentation perpetrated on consumers)...businesses in my Trade will, if asked, send out samples of their product free of charge--often samples that are large enough to last a considerable time for someone like me.

These things are part of the PR budget and a significant reason why the profit margin on most products sold in the USA is at or above 100% the cost of manufacturing.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I'm conflicted here. If as the OP states he told the dealer about the issue and the dealer agreed to honor a warranty claim then that's on the dealer. I think its a little extreme to be getting mad at the OP. We don't know what went on in the dealers mind. Maybe the dealer is fine with eating the cost of the platesetter in hopes that the OP will do further business with him. If so, that's pretty smart business. (Take a little hit here for future business later). Now if the dealer then went back to the Mothership to get recouped for the broken platesetter that's pretty scummy but again that's on the dealer not the OP. Maybe I missed it but where did the OP say they intentionally went to this dealer with the hopes that they could screw them over by making a false warranty claim. What I read, the OP simply stated they were talking to a dealer about warranties and the convo happened to progress to where the dealer said "Hey take a picture of your broken platesetter and we can get you a new one" I get where your coming from @pgprescott, I agree with you there are scumbag moochers out there nowadays but the OP doesn't seem like one from what I read.
    ...and it was at an eggfest, so people that are BGE enthusiasts which drive the word of mouth sales.  I really believe BGE takes a light touch with forum moderation because they get the value in having a robust and active forum.  But I can’t imagine they would relish the idea of one of their dealers going after their customers like that.

I’ve read it over and over here on the forum, it’s important to have the right dealer and go to the right eggfests.  Will you be personally handling warranty claims and customer service at your Dad’s eggfest this weekend Pete?  Talk about chasing people away.  It’s unbelievable really that you can’t find a more mature way to express your opinions.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    LOL you guys have no clue. BGE doesn’t warranty platesetter you break. Period. Someone lied. They ask questions and you must answer them either truthfully or you can lie. Whatever. You all gotta live by your own code. The guy knew he broke it and knew it wasn’t covered and asked the rep at an eggfest with a bunch of people around. Do the math. Duh! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    LOL you guys have no clue. BGE doesn’t warranty platesetter you break. Period. Someone lied. They ask questions and you must answer them either truthfully or you can lie. Whatever. You all gotta live by your own code. The guy knew he broke it and knew it wasn’t covered and asked the rep at an eggfest with a bunch of people around. Do the math. Duh! 

You are getting all those details from this statement?

"A dumb move on my part one night was leaning my plate setter against my table and then moving my table........ The rest is history.  They said to take a picture of the broken setter."

I don't read where he "knew it wasn't covered and asked the rep at an eggfest with a bunch of people around" from that statement. You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions to get your point across.

If the OP had said, "Hey guys, check out how I strong armed this dealer in front of my bro's at an eggfest this weekend and made him get me a new platesetter" you would have an argument but I don't see that anywhere. I get it you are a dealer and you have probably been screwed by people sometimes but this OP doesn't seem to me at least to want to screw anyone.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Also, where are the details that show this dealer didn't just eat the cost? I've done that when selling people stuff on occasion. In my past in sales I've sold people stuff at cost before on rare occasions. Not all the time but if I can genuinely gauge that I may get future business from someone I occasionally would take that risk. As @Legume said. This was an eggfest and the dealer probably thought. "Man these BGE guys spend a lot of money, oh ya, I've got that extra platesetter sitting around on display in my large egg at the store ill give it to him and eat it this time because maybe he sends his dad in for father's day to buy a $1,500 XL"