Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty.....easy peasy

Options
124»

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    DWFII said:
    From my experiences with warranty issues is that that if it broke while you had been cooking with it that it is covered.  If you drop it or knock a piece over when is laying against something, that is usually on you from what my dealer told me.  I am on my third fire box and I believe it was from doing 700 degree+ steak cooks and now use GrillGrates and only get the egg to about 550 or so.  No problems since.  I am on my third and last replacement plate setter that had cracked during cooking.  I was told by me dealer that when I go may latest PS is that it would be the last one to be replaced since at the time my XL was almost 3 years old and that the PS is only warrantied for 3 years.  I also believe if you egg is damaged by a storm your home owners insurance may cover it depending on your home owners policy. 
    On general principle I would say it is dishonest to ask the dealer to replace something that did not break during normal usage. But the whole idea of a warranty is to spell out, in detail, under what circumstances claims will be honoured.

If the dealer or the parent company doesn't specify those circumstances then it is on them.

People can, in good faith, interpret vague assurances differently.

If the warranty isn't specific, perhaps it was written intentionally so. And the dealer or parent co. likes having the "good will" that is generated by going the xtra mile.

If the warranty is specific and the dealer or parentco, etc. doesn't adhere very strictly to the terms, then the onus is, once again, on them.  IMO.

And FWIW...for those who are open to considering the vagaries of business in general (including the rampant deception and misrepresentation perpetrated on consumers)...businesses in my Trade will, if asked, send out samples of their product free of charge--often samples that are large enough to last a considerable time for someone like me.

These things are part of the PR budget and a significant reason why the profit margin on most products sold in the USA is at or above 100% the cost of manufacturing.
    So can I get one of these samples...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2018
    Options
    HeavyG saidIf a fire ring or bowl cracks and the person was using a Kick Ash Basket should they include that info with their warranty claim? Are they unethical if they don't?
    Well, that's the point...

I don't know about "unethical"--I'm too cynical about business to make such a generalization.

But the way I read it, using a KAB would void the warranty. 

A larger question...and one I don't know the answer to...is whether it is a little evasive or even reprehensible to include such caveats. ?? They are hedging their bets certainly.  But read the warranty and adhere to the letter of it judiciously,  and the result is that a consumer cannot use any accessories or products that are not labeled Big Green Egg. 

Is that "unethical?"
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Why would you want a quart of water based latex leather cement? 

But hey, work for 50 years in the Trade, create an almost international reputation, and then call one of the companies and ask. No worries.

On the other hand, you can't get samples from me.  I don't have a big enough PR budget...or profit margin, for that matter.
    Instagram
  • saluki2007
    edited June 2018
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Why would you want a quart of water based latex leather cement? 

But hey, work for 50 years in the Trade, create an almost international reputation, and then call one of the companies and ask. No worries.

On the other hand, you can't get those samples from me.  I don't have a big enough PR budget...or profit margin, for that matter.
    See, I have this room....Never mind.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dealers selling products that they know will void the warranty on the egg without disclosure? Hmmm. I think I read earlier that right was right and wrong was wrong and some thoughts on character from a dealer.  Where does selective interpretation of the warranty fall? 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Never been to an eggfest so I don't know.  At the big eggfest, are these after market products sold there?  Aren't they in a way endorsed by BGE?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DWFII
    Options
    See, I have this room....Never mind.
    I don't get it--too subtle  (or obscure) for this old shoemaker. 
    Instagram
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Y'all have lots of extra time on your hands.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Why has nobody called Bruce?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    DMW said:
    Y'all have lots of extra time on your hands.
    That's what SWMBO says to me every few months or so. But, she's averaged cooking two or three meals a year since the Egg arrived. 
    New Albany, Ohio