Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Adam Perry Lang-PRE FRIDAY OT

Options
TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum

Rather than derail my reverse sear post as I think it could be useful. Lets PreFriday it up on this post. I figured I would create a new thread.

I was just laughing reading something of this guy Adam Perry Lang so I google him. Up until a few weeks ago when you guys mentioned him I had never even heard of him. I found an article about his new steak restaurant where talks about how he doesn't want to feel snooty or like you can't afford to eat at his restaurant. Then he proceeds to state that he thinks any young dating or married couple should be able to enjoy coming to his steak house for an "affordable" date night "renting" his $950 knife to cut the steak and then paying $120 for a steak dinner for 2. Ummm maybe I'm missing something here but that doesn't seem like its an "average" affordable "date night" meal for 2. Its not crazy expensive either but nowadays $120 for a meal for 2 is probably out of most young couples reach. Ironically also, something about the article made him seem incredibly snooty and arrogant. I know that the $950 knife "rental" is temporary and if returned it is free and the whole $950 is a felony in CA thing. But making people "rent" a knife because you think it helps in part of the experience of you not being snooty is laughable to me. I know a lot of you folks seem to think he's god but from the multiple articles I just read he seems like a pompous douche canoe. Like stated above, ill take my well prepared $20 steak and skip out on renting a ugly $950 steak knife so I can think that the steak is mind altering.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    To add to his dbagery he apparently refers to himself as "APL". Who refers to themselves as anything other than their 1st name unless its a name on a forum of course =) I can just tell based on this guys fake "rugged" look and his referring to himself by his initials and his ugly steak knives I hate his guts. I don't even have to meet him. I hate him.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Wait till you learn about Salt Bae...
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This reminds me of this classic movie scene:

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    At least he doesn't wear white sunglasses.
    Damn your edit. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

To add to his dbagery he apparently refers to himself as "APL". Who refers to themselves as anything other than their 1st name unless its a name on a forum of course =) I can just tell based on this guys fake "rugged" look and his referring to himself by his initials and his ugly steak knives I hate his guts. I don't even have to meet him. I hate him.
    You don’t want to beat your steaks with a baseball bat before you cook them or make a sauce brush from rosemary twigs? Who’s the dbag now :lol:

he has put out some interesting books. I bought one and have not cooked a single item from it. Every time I think I want to try something I just close the book and put it away for another year.

i do use his board sauce idea (not his original idea but I got it from watching him so he gets the cred). 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    He reminds me of that TV food judge Richard Blais. Just seems to have this overinflated self worth.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    He'd probably be very upset that you feel this way as I am sure your opinion is extremely important to him. =)

Why didn't you title this thread 'I don't mean to start anything, but..."   B)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    He'd probably be very upset that you feel this way as I am sure your opinion is extremely important to him. =)

Why didn't you title this thread 'I don't mean to start anything, but..."   B)

I don't care what the guy thinks. It always puzzles me when people walk around with these overinflated feelings of self worth. Guess what, we all gotta wipe our rears with Charmin 2 Ply, and we all die. You aren't special. So spare me the $950 steak knife bull while claiming you don't want to appear snooty.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dude you can blow $120 for two people at Longhorn. 
    What is their knife rental situation there? Asking for a friend. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Ya probably getting an App, Several Drinks, Steak, Sides, and Dessert. This guy charges that for just the steak. Well that plus the temp charge of $950 to your CC for the ugly knife =)

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I’m pretty sure his new restaurant is in Hollywood. 

This is so what it would cost you just to park your car. 

$60 for an entree at an upscale restaurant in that town...is absolutely reasonable. 

That whole city is full of fake tits and real a$$holes. This shouldn’t surprise anyone. Just carry on doing you. 

Ya I guess I should consider the location. There are idiots in LA paying $300 per person for a toast point with Caviar on it. You got me there.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    do you hate Anthony Bourdain too, or have you met him?
    Options

haha, if you have looked at my previous posts you would know I loathe everything about Anthony Bourdain.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Privileged white kid who wanted to live the pirate life, gets a mad drug addiction, squanders a God given natural talent for years, then writes a book blasting everyone in the industry...and manages to become the very creature that he berated in print?

Hate him? That dude is my spirit animal. Falling up in life has been lifelong dream.  =)=)
    That’s good work if you can get it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

haha, if you have looked at my previous posts you would know I loathe everything about Anthony Bourdain.
    I have not.  Just a prediction. 
    Options
    I saw Bourdain speak in Nashville a couple years ago. Really enjoy his books, shows and speaking tours.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    you sure focus on his physical appearance an awful lot.  I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, just an observation.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    so who *do* you like?  Rachael Ray and Paula Deen?
    Don’t forget Martha Stewart. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    so who *do* you like?  Rachael Ray and Paula Deen?

Yes. Butter is always better

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Dilly Dilly! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options

Ya probably getting an App, Several Drinks, Steak, Sides, and Dessert. This guy charges that for just the steak. Well that plus the temp charge of $950 to your CC for the ugly knife =)
    I’d rather stay sober and eat a decent meal than have to pound drinks to stomach a sub par chain restaurant steak. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    you sure focus on his physical appearance an awful lot.  I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, just an observation.

Stating 1 time that the guy's shtick is clearly to appear "manly" and "rugged" so as to further solidify that he's some BBQing Guru means I'm "focusing a lot" on his appearance? I'm more annoyed by the fact that he calls himself APL. Not his friends calling him that, he calls himself that. If I walked around referring to myself as RAB my friends would rightfully so, kick me right in the scrot.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    C'mon, read the reason why he lists the knife at $950. He's making them himself, and doesn't want people walking off with them w/o understanding its a felony. And $120 for a steak dinner for 2, in Hollywood. C'mon, I'd have to pay that much at a Ruth's Chris's in noplaceiana.

So, I guess this is a reverse Friday dwell and sear post, right-O?