Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    RIP Merle.  I'm glad he's not around to read about his song being defamed on a BBQ forum. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    My theory on golf clubs:  Every set comes with a specific number of good shots already assigned.  Thus really good golfers have to get new sets quite frequently while us duffers can get by for many years before exhausting the good shot account.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Mercedes 240D with 4 speed stick shift...,automotive cockroach...
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Filson. Seattle Washington 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    KennyLee said:
    Browning Belgium A5 Light 12 gauge.....multiple lifetimes actually.
    Nice.  I have one of these too that my grandfather gave to me.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SamIAm2 said:
    All this talk of Snap-tools jogged my memory; takes me way back to 1972 - dang getting old. When I got transferred to NOTU during the MK-48 competition between Westinghouse and Gould systems we had full Snap-on Roll cabinets with top cabinets for each line. Those tools just felt right in my hand, a real pleasure to use. Tore down and rebuilt a lot of engines using those and never suffered hand fatigue. Couldn't afford them as a civilian so went with Craftsman, good tools but not the same feel. Thanks for the reminder. 
    I take it this is NOTU as is PCAN, and MK-48 as in the torpedoes?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    SkySaw said:
    Surprised that there is not more mention of American made shoes here. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes that are 30 years old, and look better than when I bought them. A high quality pair of shoes can have the soles and heels replaced when they wear out, and the leather uppers become more comfortable and better looking over time, provided that you polish them up a couple of times a year. 

A pair of shoes from Alden, Red Wing, or Allen Edmonds, just to name a few American manufacturers is truly a lifetime purchase.
    I have 3 pairs of A-E shoes, matching belts, and the leather weekend bag. Love that company and their products. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Nightforce rifle scopes.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    edited June 2018
    Filson. Seattle Washington 
    Considering I’m on my third Filson wallet, I will disagree. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CTMike
    Socks by Smartwool, when I am wearing shoes with socks I am usually wearing them. They may not last forever but they last for years.
    I find the EMS store brand wool socks last longer. My Smartwool socks wore through at the back of the heel where the shoe contacts. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    CTMike said:
    Socks by Smartwool, when I am wearing shoes with socks I am usually wearing them. They may not last forever but they last for years.
    I find the EMS store brand wool socks last longer. My Smartwool socks wore through at the back of the heel where the shoe contacts. 
    try Darn Tough socks.  a bit spendy for socks, but they just fit well, never get a rub spot, they don't wear out and lots of variety in height and weight of socks
  • I have an iMac that I bought in 2009.  Damn thing won't die.  I talked SWMBO into letting me buy one based on that argument.  She is laughing now (again!).
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I have an iMac that I bought in 2009.  Damn thing won't die.  I talked SWMBO into letting me buy one based on that argument.  She is laughing now (again!).
    Mine (bought in 2011) died one month before the Applecare policy expired. Been going strong since it was repaired but I really want one of the iMac Pro models so I won't be too sad if it starts hicupping any day now.

On the lifetime purchase front tho - the pc speakers I have plugged into my iMac now are the same Cambridge Soundworks speakers that I have been using for more than a couple of decades. Still sounding great!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    edited June 2018
    HeavyG said:
    I have an iMac that I bought in 2009.  Damn thing won't die.  I talked SWMBO into letting me buy one based on that argument.  She is laughing now (again!).
    Mine (bought in 2011) died one month before the Applecare policy expired. Been going strong since it was repaired but I really want one of the iMac Pro models so I won't be too sad if it starts hicupping any day now.

On the lifetime purchase front tho - the pc speakers I have plugged into my iMac now are the same Cambridge Soundworks speakers that I have been using for more than a couple of decades. Still sounding great!
    I purchased my iMac 27” in 2010, and my MBP 17” a couple years later. Never had a problem with either, never crashed or locked up. Can’t justify a new one to my wife when the damn things just keep working. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    CTMike said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    All this talk of Snap-tools jogged my memory; takes me way back to 1972 - dang getting old. When I got transferred to NOTU during the MK-48 competition between Westinghouse and Gould systems we had full Snap-on Roll cabinets with top cabinets for each line. Those tools just felt right in my hand, a real pleasure to use. Tore down and rebuilt a lot of engines using those and never suffered hand fatigue. Couldn't afford them as a civilian so went with Craftsman, good tools but not the same feel. Thanks for the reminder. 
    You are correct although I didn't work at PCAN but at CX-30 on the Air Force side of the Cape. Only went to PCAN for lunch at the Greenhouse which was a small building with a bar (canned beer only) and sandwiches. Different times and rules back then.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Gotcha beat, mine's a 2007 and still running strong!  However, OS updates stopped a few years ago for that model, and when I bought my Nikon Df a driver for that camera was not available for that old an OS.  
    So, I now also have a 2015 iMac with a 27" Retina display (beautiful, but I think the resolution improvements have now surpassed my aging eyes).  No wifey to laugh at me (but I can't cook as often, too many leftovers).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Legume said:
    CTMike said:
    try Darn Tough socks.  a bit spendy for socks, but they just fit well, never get a rub spot, they don't wear out and lots of variety in height and weight of socks
    and DT has a lifetime warranty. I've basically replaced all of my work (business casual) socks with DT socks, one less thing I need to worry about because I used to chew right through whatever cheap socks I would get before. GoBros has sales on DT pretty often, I think they are having a 15% sale for fathers day.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    edited June 2018
    https://youtu.be/L4T0QmSCTq0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCyXw2EWuA

There must be a way to embed a youtube video..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CTMike
    SamIAm2 said:
    CTMike said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    You are correct although I didn't work at PCAN but at CX-30 on the Air Force side of the Cape. Only went to PCAN for lunch at the Greenhouse which was a small building with a bar (canned beer only) and sandwiches. Different times and rules back then.
    Believe me that as a bubblehead I am extremely familiar with the Greenhouse. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    https://youtu.be/L4T0QmSCTq0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCyXw2EWuA

There must be a way to embed a youtube video..
    There is; just post the url without any brackets, modifiers, potions or formatting around it.  Nobody would tell me this, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCyXw2EWuA&app=desktop

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Mercedes 240D with 4 speed stick shift...,automotive cockroach...
    That was my first Benz which I treated myself to for kicking a 3 pack a day habit of Marlboros. Some buddies at first ribbed me for buying a deisel let alone a stick shift Benz! All that scoffing/ribbing ended when I showed the mouthy ones by leaving rubber peeling out of a golf course! 

Oh how I wish I had hung on to that car.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    my 2000 toyota 4player, I mean 4runner, is running about 248k miles.  Check the gas and fill 'er up with oil.  Still running strong and the paint looks like new 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    @KennyLee my 82 year old dad has a Belgium made Browning 12 gauge probably from the '40s or '50s.   he's probably killed a couple dozen deer with it. i'm gonna hafta wrassle my younger brother for it after my dad dies. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    JethroVA said:
    @KennyLee my 82 year old dad has a Belgium made Browning 12 gauge probably from the '40s or '50s.   he's probably killed a couple dozen deer with it. i'm gonna hafta wrassle my younger brother for it after my dad dies. 
    Nice. My grandfather bought a pre Sweet Sixteen in the 1930s that was chambered in 2 1/2”. He had it smithed over the years to accept the 2 3/4s. It’s still in like new condition. After he died 38 years ago, my dad found the original receipt that was tucked away behind the stock plate. $35.50 sale price. Dad has a Belgium A5 Magnum.  He won’t shoot anything else. 
  • My Dad had a Colt M1911 A1 in .45 ACP.  The Parkerized  finish makes it green. Its beautiful.  When he came down with Alzheimers, but was still at home, I grabbed it because Alzheimers can make sufferers violent.  Smart move on my part.  After my Dad was taken to a home, my brother asked me where the pistol was.  I figured he knew it was worth a few dollars.  I told him I grabbed it to keep everyone safe.  My brother, a devout anti-gun sort, said he wanted it.  Why I ask.  So I can turn it into the cops says he.  I laughed in his face.  A couple of weeks later, he had my Mom ask about it.  She said she thinks we should turn it over to the cops.  I think I can count on one hand the times I've defied my Mom.  I told her the pistol was now mine and that's the end of it.  I'll never get rid of it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Spock
    Spock Posts: 2
    Swiss Army Knife!!!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Spock said:
    Swiss Army Knife!!!

Except for the toothpick. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I can say from recent personal experience that a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan WILL NOT last a lifetime. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95