Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings on the BGE - Direct or Indirect?

Hello, looking for advice for cooking wings on the BGE - should we use direct or indirect?  what temp and approximately how long?  Just regular size chicken wings...  If using direct method, should we raise the grate up higher so that it is further from the fire??  I did buy something to raise my grate for when I try pizza (haven't gotten that far yet! - future questions!  LOL)  
Patty
Big Green Egg Newbie
Maryland

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Either one works. Lots of different ways to do it. I usually do around 400 raised indirect for maybe 30-45 minutes. I’ve done raised direct before, too. Need to flip those, so it’s a little more work, and I’m lazy. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    I second Jeff. Hot and indirect. Anywhere between 300 and 400 and let her go. Pretty hard to overcook them this way.
    If you want to put in extra effort, smoke them between 250 and 300 then finish them on the grill for crisp skin.
    And don't forget your CGS extender!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    I like to do wings raised direct. I like the little bit of char you get going direct. About the same around 400 for like 30/40 minutes or so. I'm really bad about how long come foods take. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    used to go direct but a poster here had a better method. indirect at 375/400 degrees with drumettes around the outsid of the indirect setup where its hotter and wingettes toward the center where its cooler

heres the writeup

cazzy Posts: 9,061
    March 2012 edited March 2012
    Ingredients needed
    • Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
    • 1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
    • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
    • 1 tsp chili flakes
    *I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need. 

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan...bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved.  Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes.  Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and refrigerate. 

Marination

Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours.  

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400.  I use a adjustable rig with a 16" drip pan and cook above the felt line.  Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.  

This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor.  At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min.  At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min.  This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings.  Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color.  Remove at 165...I check each one then remove.  Some may go over a lil but no worry...as you know, our eggs are very forgiving.

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'm in the raised direct camp - I like a bit more char and crispiness. 

Try them both and see what you like.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    I've done my fair share of wings. I go indirect around 375-400 for about 45 mins, then pull my plate setter and go direct for 10 mins flipping after 5. I find the last 10 mins gives me a nice crip/char which is how I like 'em!
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    I would say to try it both ways. I do both. Really just depends on what else i have going on and if they need my full attention. Good advice above with time and temps. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • PattyG
    PattyG Posts: 22
    Gotta say that I love this forum!  everyone is so helpful!  :)

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I am now in the very raised direct camp after going back and forth with indirect many times. I run around 350-400*F (wherever it settles) and flip after around 10-15 mins, then once more after another 15 mins or so.   With wings there are so many recipes and methods, just pick one and go then try something new the next round.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited June 2018
    Raised indirect at 375 degrees. If you cook on raised direct you have to flip them too often. That’s fine with breasts or thighs but can be a pain with all those wings.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    I like to do wings raised direct. I like the little bit of char you get going direct. About the same around 400 for like 30/40 minutes or so. I'm really bad about how long come foods take. 

X2

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    GrillnTX said:
    I've done my fair share of wings. I go indirect around 375-400 for about 45 mins, then pull my plate setter and go direct for 10 mins flipping after 5. I find the last 10 mins gives me a nice crip/char which is how I like 'em!
    This is what I do also.  I used do go entirely indirect.  But my CGS Woo makes it really easy to remove the plate setter for the direct portion.  I will sometimes sauce them during the direct portion.

As you can see above, there are many ways to make great wings.  I would just experiment to find what you like best.  Wings are relatively cheap to experiment with.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    if you want to experiment, heres 20 something wings on a mini. just put tin foil doen on the lump and cook away. flipping was easy, dump in a bowl toss, dump back into fry basket. this is actually the easiest way to cook wings

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I go indirect at 350-400 for 45-60 min then pull the plate setter and grill them for a few minutes while watching just to crisp them up. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2018
    I prefer raised direct:

These are smoked indirect and finished direct on the Jr.:

BTW - These were pretty good
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I do indirect at 400-425. 3:1 rub:baking powder or cornstarch. They come out crispy, like they were fried. They still have the grilled flavor and still get some charring due to the higher heat.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I do indirect at 400-425. 3:1 rub:baking powder or cornstarch. They come out crispy, like they were fried. They still have the grilled flavor and still get some charring due to the higher heat.
    I am going to try the higher temp indirect method next time I cook wings. Is there any flippin required? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    GATABITES said:
    I am going to try the higher temp indirect method next time I cook wings. Is there any flippin required? 
    Not typically, only if the ones toward the heat barrier edges are cooking faster/unevenly. Watch the sugar content in your rub, too.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've always gone raised direct @ 425 or so.  Works well.  You just have to flip a few times over the course of 30-40 mins.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Cornstarch will help crisp the skin. 1/4 part cornstarch to 1 part of your preferred rub. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited June 2018
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • I just did a Costco pack which filled three large tin foil pans. One in the plate setter, one on the main grill and one on the raise grid and I rotated them around every 15 min. 

After 45 in smoke I removed the plate setter and grilled direct to finish for a few min. Turns out awesome 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    +1 raised direct.  I haven't gotten a hand of the corn starch method.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Depends on the “recipe”. For rubbed and crisp skin, raised direct is fine, dome temp between 300º and 350º. For marinated sauced wings, i like indirect temps 350º to 400º. Cazzy’s Wings are awesome, he does raised direct, i do indirect. 
    BTW it is the grid you raise, grates hold fuel. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Hell I just fry mine now. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If I’m going to sauce I go 300-350 high in the dome direct but with less than a half of fire bowl of lump.  If I’m going for crispy skin I go high in the dome at 400-450 indirect.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    raised direct 400
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Mickey said:
    raised direct 400
    With a three hour nap? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Laziest way possible for me. Indirect, 375F, might turn once. Bowl, then sauce.
    The prep is the most important.
    Dry in the fridge overnight, 75% rub, mixed with 25% cornstarch. Then on the egg. About 45 minutes or less, done.
    If I could get my beautiful wife to do this, It would be perfect.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I like to...
    indirect around at 350 (making sure to rotate)
    once internal temp reaches around 170 I increase temp to 400 and crisp them up
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/