Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Newbie - Smoking Ribeyes/Reverse Searing

PattyG
PattyG Posts: 22
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
Hello.  We are still new at the BGE.  We want to grill some Ribeye Steaks tonight.  I saw a video where one guy smoked them for 45 minutes and then did a reverse sear.  Anyone try doing this or something similar?  Step by step advice would be great!  Direct/Indirect for the smoking part.  Temperature for the smoking part. Do we take the plate out for the Reverse Searing?  Can they still be pink in the middle doing it this way or does it make them more well done?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer... 
Patty
Big Green Egg Newbie
Maryland

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    How thick are your steaks? Generally speaking, reverse sear works best with 1.5” steaks or thicker. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Reverse sear doesn’t work on steaks that are only 1/2” thick.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Always cook to temperature, not time.  45 minutes for a ribeye at any temp, seems like too much.

Usually when reverse searing, the "low and slow" part is done with platesetter in (indirect) and low temp - 250-300.  In my experience, it takes about 20 min or so for the meat to get to about 120.

Then pull the meat and rest it and pull out the platesetter and open your vents to get to searing temp (500+).  Then flip and sear until your steak is at your target temp - I usually pull at 128-130, and it will rise a few degrees after you remove it from the grill.

I also occasionally use a cast iron pie pan for the sear and/or put some ghee on the steak at that point.
    NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    With reverse sear you can have the internal doneness anywhere from rare to shoe leather - your choice.  Searing portion of the cook is done with a direct cook setup.  First stage is done at lower temps to make sure the internal doneness is uniform.  This process works best on thicker steaks.  The thinner they are, the harder it is to get a useful result (as compared to a one temp cook).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hi Patty. Welcome! I did a bone in ribeye yesterday. About 1 1/4" thick. Indirect at 300° (was shooting for 250°, but oh well). Didn't really pay attention to how long it cooked, maybe 15-20 minutes? Certainly not 45. You need to watch temp, not time anyway.

Took it off the grid at about 115° internal, removed the indirect piece and let the dome temp rise to about 500°. Put the steak back on for about 60-90 seconds per side (didn't really time it or even temp it this time, just til it "looked" good). Let it rest for 5 or so. Nice med rare.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I leave the plate setter in for the whole process . you'll get flare ups off the plate setter and don't have to fret about moving it out when its hot...let her rip 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I've had some nice thick Filets that I've done the low n slow 250 for 45 minutes to get to 120.  I also let it rest while pulling the stone and opening it up.  GHEE or Clarified Butter on CI for the sear is the way to go for me since I like a nice crust.   I have a Bayou Classic 14" CI Griddle that works great on the woo for searing.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • buzd504
    lkapigian said:
    I leave the plate setter in for the whole process . you'll get flare ups off the plate setter and don't have to fret about moving it out when its hot...let her rip 
    Interesting.
    NOLA
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    edited June 2018
    I do the smoke part at 225-250 to a 115 internal. I do the sear on a cast iron grate that was under the plate setter for the whole smoke period. Get to your sear temp while resting the meat (sear at least 550-600) and go for about a minute a side, maybe a bit more. If you have a thick fat cap, stand the steak up on its side with the fat down and give that a minute as well. Once you have placed the meat for each sear, close the lid (top cap usually wide open). That way you shouldn't get flare ups from the fat hitting the coals.
  • kaybee
    Another thing you can do to prevent flare up is to actually shut down your Egg completely before searing. There is more than enough residual burn/heat to complete the searing and you don't have the air flow to cause the flame ignition.
  • kaybee
    I am actually doing my sear now on the flat side of a set of GrillGrates. This gets more of the hot metal contact sear directly on the meat. You could do the same thing by bringing a cast iron frying pan/griddle up to sear heat in the Egg as well.

This is recommended by AmazingRibs.com (https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myths-we-want-grill-marks-and-you-should-not-flip).
  • PattyG
    Wow!  Thanks for all the comments!  This is very helpful!  They didn't have Ribeye so I ended up getting Porterhouse - I had them cut the meat for me so it is about an 1-1/4 inch thick...

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • SSQUAL612
    Good thing you're not cooking 1/2" Ribeyes  ;)
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    I think most advice here is pretty spot on. 

Thick steaks, indirect temps about 250, time varies but take the IT to about 10 degrees short of what you want the final doneness to be. Pull off and let it rest while you bring up the egg. 

For me, I crank up the Egg to 500+ ... then slap them on. I like fire to touch my meat (insert joke) so I usually let the flame rip and roar all over the steak, and flip every 30 seconds, 1-2 mins total. I've done dome open and dome closed, can't tell a huge difference personally. 

I think reverse Sear Ribeye is my favorite thing on the Egg. 

Good luck and enjoy. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Sorry, pics are a bit out of order. 

Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    PattyG said:
    Hello.  We are still new at the BGE.  We want to grill some Ribeye Steaks tonight.  I saw a video where one guy smoked them for 45 minutes and then did a reverse sear.  Anyone try doing this or something similar?  Step by step advice would be great!  Direct/Indirect for the smoking part.  Temperature for the smoking part. Do we take the plate out for the Reverse Searing?  Can they still be pink in the middle doing it this way or does it make them more well done?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer... 
    First let me say, Welcome to the EGGdiction.

Good information above and yes it would be a good idea to have a plate and some foil to tent over the steak while you get the Egg to over 500 degrees to sear the steak.  As others said get your egg to 250 to 300 with the plate setter in, put the steak on.  If you have a meat probe you can insert while it cooks that would be nice so you know when it reaches a temp between 110 and 115.  If not check it after 15 minutes or so.  If not at temp check every 5 till it is.  This is why I like have a probe with a gauge on the outside so you don't have to keep lifting the lid.

When the steak is at 110 to 115, take it off and place it on a plate and tent it with the foil while you bring the egg to sear temp after pulling the plate setter.  This shouldn't take to long.   Sear the steak for 30 seconds a side and then turn it to get the cross marks for another 30 seconds a side.  Then sear the fat side for 30 if it has any.  Pull it off and if it isn't at temp yet put it back on for another 30 seconds a side.  Not sear how you like your steak, these times are for medium rare.  If you like it rare you should be good the first run through.  If you like it medium it may have to go a little longer.  This is for a 1.5" think steak or so.

Good luck and happy Egging.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Beautiful looking steak, you nailed it 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    As noted the temp is the key.  Perhaps down the road you may want to give the following a go; for me the easiest way to complete the reverse sear is caveman style (right on the lump).  No need to worry about dome temp-pull the guts open the lower vent, dome open and when the lava is large enough to accommodate your steak toss it on.  30 -45 Secs and flip.  Long tongs and a quick read thermo for the finish temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    As noted the temp is the key.  Perhaps down the road you may want to give the following a go; for me the easiest way to complete the reverse sear is caveman style (right on the lump).  No need to worry about dome temp-pull the guts open the lower vent, dome open and when the lava is large enough to accommodate your steak toss it on.  30 -45 Secs and flip.  Long tongs and a quick read thermo for the finish temp.  FWIW-
    Or Cavewoman Style...
  • SonVolt
    Just to be clear, when people say to "check the temp" they're talking about sticking an instant read thermometer inside the steak  to gauge the internal temp of the steak, not the round gauge on the BGE dome.  I know that sounds obvious but a lot of new grillers/cooks may not know that. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Welcome!

I cook low-and-slow to 110 degrees internal temperature on my gas grill or I do it in the oven if it's very windy outside. (My gas grill blows out during very high winds.) My steaks are usually 2-2 1/2 inches thick so the low-and-slow takes about 40 minutes. The Egg is cruising @ 500 degrees and ready to go. No removing the plate setter and waiting for the temperature to rise. 1 minute per side then rest for 5 minutes. Result is a perfectly rare hunk-o-beef. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SonVolt
    How hot can the platsetter withstand? I would have never thought to leave it in for high-heat searing. Of course I've only owned mine about a week. 
  • lkapigian
    SonVolt said:
    How hot can the platsetter withstand? I would have never thought to leave it in for high-heat searing. Of course I've only owned mine about a week. 
    I leave it in for clean burns 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SonVolt said:
    Mine was in there for this pizza.

1voyager said:
    Welcome!

I cook low-and-slow to 110 degrees internal temperature on my gas grill or I do it in the oven if it's very windy outside. (My gas grill blows out during very high winds.) My steaks are usually 2-2 1/2 inches thick so the low-and-slow takes about 40 minutes. The Egg is cruising @ 500 degrees and ready to go. No removing the plate setter and waiting for the temperature to rise. 1 minute per side then rest for 5 minutes. Result is a perfectly rare hunk-o-beef. 
    If you insist on the gasser, you have it backwards. The egg is pointless if all you're doing is searing with it. Try roasting with the egg (and get some actual charcoal flavor!) and then searing with the gasser. Better yet, do it all on the egg and stop wasting propane. It only takes a couple of minutes to get the egg to searing temp. 

BTW, a 2 1/2" steak is not a steak, it's a roast!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PattyG
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I've had some nice thick Filets that I've done the low n slow 250 for 45 minutes to get to 120.  I also let it rest while pulling the stone and opening it up.  GHEE or Clarified Butter on CI for the sear is the way to go for me since I like a nice crust.   I have a Bayou Classic 14" CI Griddle that works great on the woo for searing.  
    Probably a stupid question but what is GHEE?

Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • SSQUAL612
    PattyG said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

Not at all...it's butter that has been Clarified to separate solids so it has a higher smoking point.  I use it primarily for the sear portion when reverse searing a steak.  You can make at home by melting butter and scraping the foam off the top then letting the solids settle and only reserving the liquid. 
  • lkapigian
    PattyG said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

GHEE us clarified butter that has been cooked longer to remove all the moisture...the milk solids are browned in the fat and then strained ..ghee has a bit of a nutty taste over clarified butter and has a longer shelf life 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Wow.  That looks outstanding.  Great execution.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    That looks perfect.
    NOLA