Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Salmon - from Steve Raichlin

Options
zahulio
zahulio Posts: 135
My wife and i eat a ton of salmon, mostly for the heart health benefits (both of us have premature heart disease in our families). This is my favorite prep, modified from BBQ guru Steve Raichlin's original recipe I saw on PBS years ago

Recipe: https://halalpitmasters.com/2018/05/16/tandoori-salmon/

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks and sounds great!  I wish my wife didn't hate salmon -- it's one of my favorite fish.  Not sure I'll go to that much trouble just for me, but it sure looks good!
  • zahulio
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Looks and sounds great!  I wish my wife didn't hate salmon -- it's one of my favorite fish.  Not sure I'll go to that much trouble just for me, but it sure looks good!
    Don’t give up on your wife.....took me a while to develop a taste for Salmon.  This recipe is nice in that it gets rid of the fishiness that salmon often has, probably because of the garlic-ginger bath.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice cook!

Some of the Shan masalas have some flour or besan mixed in, so you get a bit of that crunch. Can't remember which one's though. 

Some fennel seeds mixed in with your homemade tandoori rub would probably be awesome too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • zahulio
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

Some of the Shan masalas have some flour or besan mixed in, so you get a bit of that crunch. Can't remember which one's though. 

Some fennel seeds mixed in with your homemade tandoori rub would probably be awesome too. 
    I'll have to check which Shan masalas already have flour/besan.Thanks for alerting me to that...I never noticed. Fennel seeds...or maybe coariander seeds...are an interesting idea. I'll try that sometime!
    Thanks!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Wow, very nice!  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    Options
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

I'll have to check which Shan masalas already have flour/besan.Thanks for alerting me to that...I never noticed. Fennel seeds...or maybe coariander seeds...are an interesting idea. I'll try that sometime!
    Thanks!
     I think the Lahori Charga has it pre-mixed in. Check the ingredients. 

And +1 for coriander. Dry roast the whole spices, then coarse grind before adding in to the mix. Also, consider adding 1-2 TBSP of mayo in the marinade. You'll thank me later :)

• zahulio
    Options
    caliking said:
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

Thanks!

And +1 for coriander. Dry roast the whole spices, then coarse grind before adding in to the mix. Also, consider adding 1-2 TBSP of mayo in the marinade. You'll thank me later :)
    Will def try. Thanks for the advice!

My mom always roasted whole spices and then ground them. Somehow makes the rub more flavorful.

btw...I posted these pics on Instagram...and “Steve Raichlen” (or his social media person) liked them!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

Thanks!

My mom always roasted whole spices and then ground them. Somehow makes the rub more flavorful.

btw...I posted these pics on Instagram...and “Steve Raichlen” (or his social media person) liked them!
    That is cool but be careful with that bunch. He (or more likely his social media team) has lifted images and recipes from people on here and their sites and used them as his own on his site and media.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this - recipe looks great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • zahulio
    Options
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

Thanks!

That is cool but be careful with that bunch. He (or more likely his social media team) has lifted images and recipes from people on here and their sites and used them as his own on his site and media.
    Good to know. 
  • zahulio
    Options
    caliking said:
    zahulio said:
    caliking said:
    Nice cook!

Thanks!

Checked Lahori Charga. Doesn't look like it has besan (chickpea/garbanzo flour). 
  • caliking
    Options
    I’ll take a look the next time I’m at the Indian store in a couple of days. 

• caliking
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sorry - it took me a few days to get to the Indian store to refresh my memory.

I mixed up my Shan masalas. The Chicken Broast masala has wheat flour in it. I used to mix it 1:1 with their Chicken Tikka masala or their Tandoori Chicken masala (I preferred the Chicken Tikka). Used to turn out well. 
    Image result for shan chicken broast ingredients

The other one that I remember is their Lahori Fish masala (which is very similar to what you made). The ingredients list a mixture of flours, but I'm pretty sure I recall the besan in the flavor. 
    Image result for shan lahori fish ingredients

If you can find this one, it still is one of my favorites. Its Canadian, but sometimes available in Indian stores in the US : 
    Image result for kissan tikka masala

• zahulio
    Options
    @caliking

Awesome! I've never even noticed the Chicken Broast or the Kissan masala. I'll definitely try them out! 

Lahori fish is a favorite of my wife.

With the wheat/flours in the mixture, does it make the chicken surface crispy (similar to fried chicken)?
  • caliking
    Options
    zahulio said:
    @caliking

Awesome! I've never even noticed the Chicken Broast or the Kissan masala. I'll definitely try them out! 

Lahori fish is a favorite of my wife.

With the wheat/flours in the mixture, does it make the chicken surface crispy (similar to fried chicken)?
    Not really. It sort of helps all the masala glom on to the chicken, so you get it all when you take a bite. Amped up a little more if you use mayo instead of oil in the marinade .

Don't know if you already do this, but slashing the meat through to the bone really helps the marinade get in . 1-2 slashes per drumstick, 2-3 per thigh piece.