Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a steak...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Nothing particularly special. Found a Costco ribeye cap pinwheel while freezer diving over the weekend. Vac sealed with DP Cowlick already on it. 

Cranked the mini up to 650F or so. Hard sear on both sides. Rested, then topped with a dollop of garlic parmesan butter. Turned out damnn near perfect. The crust was beautiful. Which was a relief, since I don’t cook steak very often. 

Only one pic to post, since I thought it looked cool. And everyone knows what a steak looks like. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks good and yes a cool pic.   B)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Steak looks like it's floating on air ... Nice picture and steak.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    That gif just made me do a little jig in my office chair. And I hadn't even had coffee yet.

Looks great! 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    That may be the best crust on a steak I’ve seen here.  Outstanding.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks fantastic Cali. Perfection.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nicely executed sir. And fun images. Appreciate you sprinkling our stuff on your hard-earned meat! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. 

@Nature Boy  I was sure the spices in the rub would burn searing it like that, but they didn't. Turned out to be a good pick for this steak :)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    @caliking Yeah, Cow Lick stands up to searing heat really well. I'm thinking that intense browning really mellowed out the pepper too....right? Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Yeah, Cow Lick stands up to searing heat really well. I'm thinking that intense browning really mellowed out the pepper too....right? Cheers!
    Chris

It kinda did, but not enough that it was missed. I usually prefer DP Raising the Steaks, but figured I'd try the Cowlick since it had been a while. Plus it was already rubbed and sealed, raring to go!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Then the Mona Lisa is just a picture....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn Cali!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Then the Mona Lisa is just a picture....
    Too kind, Ron.

caliprince took one look at his plate and said,

"I want lamb lollipops!"

Spoiled brat.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The real problem is he’ll never eat at a restaurant with better food than home, or meet a spouse who cooks better than he can. You’re setting him up for a life of food disappointments :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Nice steak. Took me a lot of years to teach folks that thicker is better for steaks!!!  And that looks to be one darn thick steak. Beauty.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    The real problem is he’ll never eat at a restaurant with better food than home, or meet a spouse who cooks better than he can. You’re setting him up for a life of food disappointments :)
    I think about that sometimes. Maybe he has it too good :)

I learned a lot about food and cooking by just hanging out with my mom in the kitchen,  and doing groceries with her at the markets in India. So when we got married, caliqueen had some catching up to do :smiley:

PS - don't ever tell her I said that. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    I think about that sometimes. Maybe he has it too good :)

I learned a lot about food and cooking by just hanging out with my mom in the kitchen,  and doing groceries with her at the markets in India. So when we got married, caliqueen had some catching up to do :smiley:

PS - don't ever tell her I said that
    Just for clarity sake, the portion of the above that I hit "Agree" on is bolded above.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm curious about these as our Costco just started carrying them.  Is there any circumstance where you would want to unroll these, or are they best cooked as-is?
    NOLA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I'm curious about these as our Costco just started carrying them.  Is there any circumstance where you would want to unroll these, or are they best cooked as-is?
    I’ve done them both ways, and would say I prefer unrolled - grilled quickly, directly over high heat.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • buzd504
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I’ve done them both ways, and would say I prefer unrolled - grilled quickly, directly over high heat.

Thanks.  That's helpful.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    This. 

When I've grilled them unrolled/deconstructed, you have to watch them closer, as the pieces are not uniform. Grilling it as-is works well. 

• buzd504
    Options
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:
    This. 

When I've grilled them unrolled/deconstructed, you have to watch them closer, as the pieces are not uniform. Grilling it as-is works well. 

My concern about grilling them rolled is similar to the argument about cooking a burger more - since the interior of the meat has been exposed to a blade/air, isn't their more risk of pathogens implying that the meat should be cooked more for safety when rolled up (not that I will - I'm mostly talking hypothetical here).  Or do I not understand the cut?
    NOLA
  • ReTodded
    ReTodded Posts: 11
    Options
    that is awesome man.  this stuff is what I miss about this forum.  pics of amazingness.

Egger for 15 years.  I've owned and traded them like some folks do used cars.  Recently bought an XL BGE.  #WhatIsOldIsNewAgain
  • caliking
    Options
    @buzd504 the risk of contamination is much higher for ground meat than for solid cuts. Although one could argue that it could be similar with Costco meats since  they jaccard their steaks. 

The short answer is... I don’t worry about it. Maybe I should, but I don’t. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    caliking said:

The short answer is... I don’t worry about it. Maybe I should, but I don’t. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    you win
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.