Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

As a COSTCO hold out seeking redemption...

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
We have been SAMS members for years as it was less than 5 miles away. Then when COSTCO came in to our market some 19 miles away we held out. Then 2 years ago we finally joined COSTCO. Right after we joined COSTCO I finally looked at their bin of prime beef and I was not impressed. Well a month ago I bought 3 Prime NICElY marbled NY strips and after egging them I was hooked! Today I selected this package of 4 prime strips and now I'm an AVID COSTCO member! Look at that marbling for 4.51 pounds at a mere $12.99 a pound!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice man good eats await!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That looks great. I have some personal reasons for staying away from getting a COSTCO membership.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Meat looks good but I still don’t see why Costco blade tenderizes their prime grade steaks and expects you to over cook them as a result
    I hear you, but being a fan of tenderizing meat (beef, pork and even chicken) myself using my  JACCARD, I don't have such a concern. And as for over cooking them I imagine their legal beagles made them reveal all that! 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    thetrim said:
    That looks great. I have some personal reasons for staying away from getting a COSTCO membership.  
    They get a restraining order on you after some kind of weird bathroom incident?
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Meat looks good but I still don’t see why Costco blade tenderizes their prime grade steaks and expects you to over cook them as a result
    They don't expect us to overcook them -- they seem to be ignorant about the danger.  I asked one of their butchers about it.

I don't think many here are as concerned about this issue as you and I are, but I'm relieved to discover that I'm not the only one.  I was in Costco just a couple of weeks ago, had some GORGEOUS prime ribeye steaks in my hand, was very happily about to put them in the cart when I noticed the fine print about them having been blade tenderized.  I put them back.

GOSH I wish they wouldn't do that!  It can take deadly bacteria that would have gotten killed on the outside when grilled into the inside, where they WON'T get killed!  Sure, the risk is small, but it's not a small risk of catching a cold -- it's a small risk of getting miserably, desperately sick.  Not me.
  • thetrim
    thetrim said:
    No, I had a college classmate get blasted to death outside a Las Vegas Costco by the LVPD under some shady Costco circumstances. He wasnt completely without blame, but I still can’t make my way in one of their stores for any weird bathroom behavior.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Keep your eye out for the whole prime strip when it goes on sale. Stellar. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Looks good Ron.
    The tenderizer thing sucks.

Do they do fock up the pork too?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Theophan said:
    GOSH I wish they wouldn't do that!  It can take deadly bacteria that would have gotten killed on the outside when grilled into the inside, where they WON'T get killed!  Sure, the risk is small, but it's not a small risk of catching a cold -- it's a small risk of getting miserably, desperately sick.  Not me.
    Agreed. My never-been-sick sister had to be hospitalized for the first time for 5 days after food poisoning. Rookie question for Theophan: Would following SousVideDash app's time and temp recommendations kill the beasties you would be worried about from blade tenderization?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    No, I had a college classmate get blasted to death outside a Las Vegas Costco by the LVPD under some shady Costco circumstances. He wasnt completely without blame, but I still can’t make my way in one of their stores for any weird bathroom behavior.  
    He wasn't Eric Scott was he?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Sweet100s said:
    Theophan said:
    Agreed. My never-been-sick sister had to be hospitalized for the first time for 5 days after food poisoning. Rookie question for Theophan: Would following SousVideDash app's time and temp recommendations kill the beasties you would be worried about from blade tenderization?
    Assuming you are cooking over 130-131-ish then it would
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    theres a few 20 miles from me but they are all 45 minute plus drives with the traffic.  have had those steaks many times but just wont drive that far.  ive eaten raw ground store bought burger most of my life so im ok as well with the jaccard =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i have always had good luck with Costco meats and one of the main reasons we still have the membership there as well as sams.  there is a rumor a new Costco is going to be built 5 min away from me on my side of town I am hoping it is true.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I try to shop local but F costco is too cheap and the meat is great.... and then last year my costco started selling tomahawks....
  • RRP
    GrillSgt said:
    Do they advertise that sale? If so I will buy one for sure and dry age it myself! Or should I just ask for a whole any time?
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Mine has the Prime strips all the time. Never seen them on sale though.
    I think they are $10ish/lb around here. Same for the whole ribeyes. That is all I buy and cut my own. No tenderizing. =) 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    RRP said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Do they advertise that sale? If so I will buy one for sure and dry age it myself! Or should I just ask for a whole any time?
    I got my notice on here. I'm not a Costco member but both of my kids are.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198

You can't go wrong with Coscto. If you want better quality you need to go to  a butcher. I grilled these Coscto bad-boys (Ribeye) a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Sorry no after pics.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    Must have been him.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    It seems the data tells us we're far more likely to get sick from lettuce than from blade tenderized meats.

From what I've read the butcher shops in Costco's clean/sterilize their tenderizing gear every couple of hours but I'm sure that my not hold true of every store.

Has anyone ever asked the butcher at a Costco to cut some fresh ribeyes and NOT tenderize them?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I also was a long time SAMS member. Made the change about a year ago over to Costco.....and have not looked back. Regrettably, there is not one near me...but there is one near where the wif works. Bottom line....i don't get to see that gawjus beef for myself....which might be a good thing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    Yeah that was him. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I also have another classmate in Vegas doing life w/o parole for hiring a homeless guy to off his wife.  So, I stay out of Costco AND Vegas as well.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have a 45 mile drive to Costco but it is well worth it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Forgive the hijack my friend. Hope you are doing well. 

Cool pictures, Scottie!!! BTW can you tell me exactly what your job entails? Do you actually go in the water yourself?
  • thetrim
    KEEP IT REAL, @SGH
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
    Do you actually go in the water yourself?
    Not anymore. The last commercial dive I made was in 1998. That’s a young mans game. 

thetrim said:
    KEEP IT REAL, @SGH
    I’m trying brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2018
    Ron, I can finally see land off in the distance. You know what that means. It’s finally about over. Thank goodness. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.