Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another cook of pork belly burnt ends

blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
Malcom Reeds recipe is money.  I modify a couple of things.  Also, I think of the cook in 3 parts: smoking, tenderizing/rendering, and caramelizing.  Each step takes about two hours.

Cube the pieces a bit bigger than you want it to finish.  They’ll lose some fat and moisture. Add rub.  Smoke for about two hours.  The pieces will start to turn a little brown. I use dizzy pig IPA for this. 

Then put the pieces in a tightly foiled aluminum pan.  Raise the temp of the cooker to 300 or so.  This step will steam them, cooking them through to tenderize, and render the fat.  After about two hours, remove the foil and drain off all the liquid.

Finally, cover liberally with brown sugar, drizzle with honey, and add worcestershire and some tabasco.  Do not let the temp run away here or you'll scorch it all.  Keep an eye on it and stir every 20 minutes or so.  Add more sugar liberally.  Add salt and or rub to taste.

I don't add MR's glaze at the end because I build the flavor as I go with the worcestershire and tabasco and whatever else it needs.  Cook and caramelize to whatever done-ness you like, but be careful not to scorch all that sugar.  

Cheers!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    They’re a winner for sure.  Not sure why it took me so long to try them, but I’m glad that I did.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Most eggcellent-congrats on the cook and results.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Great looking cook. I’ve done MR’s recipe a few times, and the last round didn’t come out great. I’ve been reading about these modifications and will be trying some of them the next time I make them. The recipe is so good when you nail it. My last batch wasn’t very tender, I couldn’t figure out if they were over cooked or under cooked. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • blind99
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Most eggcellent-congrats on the cook and results.  
    Man I’ve tried cooking pork belly bites a LOT of different ways over the past few years. I haven’t achieved my holy grail yet but this recipe is by far the best I’ve made. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I want to try that. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great cook and presentation.  Bravo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    well done.  I'd crush a helping or two
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Those look delicious.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited May 2018
    Goddaaamn!! 

I keep jearing about Malcolm Reed’s recipe and have been meaning to try it. Sounds much simpler when you break it down like that. Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Bravo sir!  Like the modifications.  Will have to give this route a try next time I do them.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    I need to try this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Quick question on the mods...you mentioned you skipped the glaze in MR's recipe so when you added the sugar and honey did you omit the butter as well?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • blind99
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Quick question on the mods...you mentioned you skipped the glaze in MR's recipe so when you added the sugar and honey did you omit the butter as well?
    I’ve done with and without. Honestly I’m not sure it needs it because there’s so much fat in the belly. But I figure it can’t hurt to add some butter! The biggest thing I found was that if you don’t put enough rub on at the beginning you’ll need to add salt. 

Skrullb said:
    Great looking cook. I’ve done MR’s recipe a few times, and the last round didn’t come out great. I’ve been reading about these modifications and will be trying some of them the next time I make them. The recipe is so good when you nail it. My last batch wasn’t very tender, I couldn’t figure out if they were over cooked or under cooked. 
    My guess would be undercooked, unless you went realllllly long at a high temp. 

@caliking yeah, with all the steps it is kind of a PITA. If you can simplify it I’d be very appreciative!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great recap and awesome instructions.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95