Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestion on what to cook at Eggfest

Options
1st time going to cook at an Eggfest didn’t know if there’s something that’s a big hit or fun to cook with all the ppl . 
Just looking for ideas!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Click the Appetizers link on the right hand side of this page.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I’ve noticed that about half of the cooks at the few eggfest I’ve been to make some complicated dishes, they are good, but not something I would make at home for the wife and I .
    In my opinion, I like the simple samples, appetizers , chicken wings or pork loins ,and such, quick makes that with a few spice or marinate changes to suit your tastes, makes it your own.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    There have been a number of threads on this over the years.  

Basic principles:

Have fun.

Don't make it too complex or you won't have it ready until the eggfest is almost over like @caliking and @20stone.

You don't have time for a low and slow unless you do some precooking at home.

Don't feel pressured to keep up with demand.  Take some time to explore what others are cooking and get to know your fellow eggers.  You'll enjoy it a lot more that way and potentially develop relationships that will carry well past eggfests.  Eggers are some of the best people in the world.

If you really want a challenge, try to do something that doesn't involve bacon.  Bacon enhances everything and a lot of people will be using it as such.  This may be better advice for your second or third eggfest cook.

Most importantly, have fun.  
     True. But many will say that it’s one of the best bites they had at the fest. And that makes it all worthwhile :)

we’ve done some different “out of the box” cooks at eggfests (Indian, Pakistani, Burmese, Cambodian, Korean, Indonesian, etc). Many people would come up and say “I’ve never had _____ food before. I think I like it. “

So my recommendation would be to cook something that will be unique. Do as much of the prep as possible at home. Cooking at your first fest will be chaos, which is why you set up your spot next to @Hotch :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lamb lollipops. They are a simple prep and a five minute cook.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    keep it simple and quick, I've done chicken thighs with Alabama white sauce, Korean thighs, citrus and ancho corn on the cob, citrus glazed salmon fillets, an bar towel pork tenderloin (usually draws a crowd to watch when you break open the salt crust). I try to make something a little different, but, that the participants can see themselves making. Have fun, meet lots of people and Remember to take a hat and plenty of water

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is simple.
    Prep and prepare everything you can at home.
    Think of it this way.
    All you'll want to do once you get to the EggFest is load the lump, light the Egg and then cook what you prepped at the house.
    You can then talk about the Egg and cook with the attendees while it is on the Egg.

Which EggFest are you planning to cook at?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    +1 on all the above. I have cooked for the last 3 years at the Porkopolis EggFest and usually stick to simple stuff-Meatballs-prepped at home in advance and froze, great way to keep them cold while you cook them in batches. Also Mac and Cheese-ready to just throw on and done in 30 minutes. This year it will be Korean Chicken Wings and whatever-going to Georgia Mtn this year for some ideas.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    There have been a number of threads on this over the years.  

Basic principles:

Have fun.

Don't make it too complex or you won't have it ready until the eggfest is almost over like @caliking and @20stone.

You don't have time for a low and slow unless you do some precooking at home.

Don't feel pressured to keep up with demand.  Take some time to explore what others are cooking and get to know your fellow eggers.  You'll enjoy it a lot more that way and potentially develop relationships that will carry well past eggfests.  Eggers are some of the best people in the world.

If you really want a challenge, try to do something that doesn't involve bacon.  Bacon enhances everything and a lot of people will be using it as such.  This may be better advice for your second or third eggfest cook.

Most importantly, have fun.  
     True. But many will say that it’s one of the best bites they had at the fest. And that makes it all worthwhile :)

we’ve done some different “out of the box” cooks at eggfests (Indian, Pakistani, Burmese, Cambodian, Korean, Indonesian, etc). Many people would come up and say “I’ve never had _____ food before. I think I like it. “

So my recommendation would be to cook something that will be unique. Do as much of the prep as possible at home. Cooking at your first fest will be chaos, which is why you set up your spot next to @Hotch :smiley:
    Agreed with @cali on all points, with some additional flavor:
    • You don't have to feed everybody.  Make something in a scale you can manage, and when you're out, you're out
    • I don't like precooking anything - to me it undermines the idea of showing the versatility of the egg, and, to me, it is a little cheaty (mea culpa - we have sous vided a thing or two in advance, but I felt dirty, and don't plan on repeating it)
    • I do, however, like precutting and measuring everything - Quart sized deli tubs are great for bulk prep items
    • Bites don't need to be huge, but it is better if they look awesome (we do make an effort on presentation as well)
    • "Out of the box" is fun to do.  Not everyone will be into "Heritage pork shoulder masubi" (or whatever), but a lot of folks will be blown away that something can be on the egg, awesome, and something they've never tried
    • Last - If someone tries to talk you into making kathi rolls, BEWARE

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Something that became my signature offering at 12 Peoria Eggfests was a delicious Triple Chocolate and Kahlua  cake. It got so popular that I started baking two! The thing is most eggers stick with meat entrees so often people would be amazed and ask "you can even bake a cake on a BGE???" Send me an email if you want the recipe.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Something that became my signature offering at 12 Peoria Eggfests was a delicious Triple Chocolate and Kahlua  cake. It got so popular that I started baking two! The thing is most eggers stick with meat entrees so often people would be amazed and ask "you can even bake a cake on a BGE???" Send me an email if you want the recipe.
    Great point Ron,
    One of our favorite and easier cooks is a good quality, out of the can, cinnamon roll first thing in the morning. Gives us time to set up and prep other things.
    A second big hit is a big pan of chocolate brownies that we top with ice cream.
    And the last 2 years at the Athens Texas Eggfest, our friends have made dump cakes. Also a big hit with and with out adding ice cream.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    This was an award winner at the BGE Octoberfest a few years back. You can make in advance, warn on the Egg and serve in small paper cups. I've made this many many times. 

7 boneless thighs, grilled, smoked on BGE, shredded. Rub of choice - I did this one with Dizzy Swamp Venom

1 Chopped Yellow Onion

1 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Garlic

1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin

1 Teaspoon Oregano

1/8 to 1/4 Teaspoon Chile Powder

2 cans White Northern

1 can Cannelloni

48 oz Chicken Broth

16-32 oz chicken broth

Small can Green Chiles

Diced Jalepenos

Juice of 1 Lime

Saute onions, garlic and peppers in Olive Oil until soft. Add cumin, oregano and chile powder

Combine chicken broth, beans, green chiles and chicken into Dutch Oven boil, simmer for 1-2 hours.  I returned tot the Egg w/ Apple Chips to simmer for 2 hours at 300 Dome Temp. 

I like to refrigerate for 24 hours to allow flavors to further meld. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've never been to an Eggfest.  But I would think OTT chili would be a great cook.  Most of the prep work can be done ahead of time. It is easy to cook.  It is cool to look at while cooking.  And most importantly, it is easy to serve many people with small serving cups. 

Also - it tastes dang good.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Some good advice.
    Simple wins no doubt, especially your first rip.
    I have learned this the hard way with kung pao chicken, pepper beef, waffle iron ancho brownies, etc.

My go-to conversational egg dish is also a baked good.  I don't care about competing with others, and fancypants wannabe farmer Joe's personal acorn fed pig.  Baking is something different, on a grill.  It gets people talking.  After all, we're there to sell the BGE.  I could see where some lose focus.

t's crazy, the amount of people who are blown away by a mediocre pizza off of a grill.  And marmaladey-like balsamic ernyins! Lol

Last couple of years I switched over to CI skillet pies to make it easier.  I could hussle and rip 5 NY/Americana style pies per fest.  Skillet pies are cleaner without flour and semolina, as I place the dough in skillets before arriving.  Settle the egg in at 500 or so, and pop a top.  B)

It is a balance, mingling and cooking.  Be graceful, putz, don't panic.  And don't get consumed by the consumers, and have fun!

Quesadillas are another crowd pleaser.  Egg/smoke the protein before the event.
    Breakfast burritos another, made ahead and browned slightly in CI or on the pizza stone, to warm up.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    I've never been to an Eggfest.  But I would think OTT chili would be a great cook.  Most of the prep work can be done ahead of time. It is easy to cook.  It is cool to look at while cooking.  And most importantly, it is easy to serve many people with small serving cups. 

I agree - the last few years I was serving a big pot of chili. I made this simple stand to hold those 1.5 or maybe 1.75 OZ of cone shaped water cups. This stand made it easier to fill and then people to pick up. Most male takers would just "drink it down" while the ladies preferred a spoon. A little secret is double up the cups and they will not be so hard to pick up! 

• Focker
    Options

Making an entire enamel DO's worth the day before, then pulling it out of the cooler, bringing to temp over an hour or so, is a great rec.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For the record, the best eggfest cook I've been in contact with is Ron.  He's an eggfest machine, when it comes to quality and variety in his all day menu.  It's an honor and joy, to steal his tabletop real estate. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Focker said:

Making an entire enamel DO's worth the day before, then pulling it out of the cooler, bringing to temp over an hour or so, is a great rec.  
    LOL - so you DID see how I did mine! On top of that I always baked one cake the night before at home, but baked the second one at the Eggfest.
  • Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

LOL - so you DID see how I did mine! On top of that I always baked one cake the night before at home, but baked the second one at the Eggfest.
    Without a doubt, you are my sensei.
    Smarter, not harder.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    • Last - If someone tries to talk you into making kathi rolls, BEWARE

Especially, if he does that TWICE.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    The kathi rolls are easily the best thing I’ve had at any fest, anywhere, and I know I’m not alone.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    The kathi rolls are easily the best thing I’ve had at any fest, anywhere, and I know I’m not alone.
    Thanks. That's quite a compliment.

QED :smiley:

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    True, but it was a monumental a$$whip, and that's someone who wears a$$whips as a point of pride.

If the rest of you want to foist Pop and Fresh on the masses and pass it off as cooking, have a blast, but Team NFA will be cooking to the point of hospitalization.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    20stone said:
    True, but it was a monumental a$$whip, and that's someone who wears a$$whips as a point of pride.

If the rest of you want to foist Pop and Fresh on the masses and pass it off as cooking, have a blast, but Team NFA will be cooking to the point of hospitalization.
    This will probably bring you some cold sweats then, but here you go:

• RRP
    Options
    Focker said:
    For the record, the best eggfest cook I've been in contact with is Ron.  He's an eggfest machine, when it comes to quality and variety in his all day menu.  It's an honor and joy, to steal his tabletop real estate. 
    LMAO!!! - you da man and you know so! 
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    LMAO!!! - you da man and you know so! 
    I'm a one hit wonder.
    And I drink too much Fist City, Cody's Tito cocktails, and Pete's graciously offered bourbon.  B)

Are you coming up for the fest at Prescott's?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Man is that pizza to chow down on!

Still not sure about Prescott's.
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Man is that pizza to chow down on!

Still not sure about Prescott's.
    One year I chose not to do pizza, and people were bummed when they heard it's not on the menu, like your Kahlua Cake.  I felt bad.  So I went back to it, but simplified the process.  

You should come up bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    Options
    Speaking of eggfest cooks, on the right you see @DMW dishing up shepherd’s pie in Salado that year.

He made it look easy because he had his shite together. A great tasty cook, that is not usually done at the eggfests I’ve been to. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Speaking of eggfest cooks, on the right you see @DMW dishing up shepherd’s pie in Salado that year.

He made it look easy because he had his shite together. A great tasty cook, that is not usually done at the eggfests I’ve been to. 
    Also in this photo:

@20stone waiting to eat said Shephard’s pie, while you were working.