Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Are You Spending The Weekend?

Options
I have to enjoy the weekend vicariously through you.  Me?  I'm visiting my Mom in the hospital all weekend long including today.  She fell and is messed up.  Here's a view of Downtown Detroit as seen from the hospital in Ann Arbor.  It's on the horizon mid-frame.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope for a speedy recovery. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man Bob, that sux.  Speedy recovery for her.  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers for your Mom.  it is great that you can be there for her!

We are celebrating Cinco de Drinko and the Derby, and on Sunday I am gonna  FaceTime with my Dad and do a shot celebrate his 94th birthday back in WI.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sure hope your Mom heals quickly.  I took the day off from work today, partially in recognition of my father’s 101st birthday - he’s been gone 24 years..

Otherwise, I will be catering to my dear wife’s every whim - tomorrow is her birthday.  I have a reservation at arguably Baltimore’s highest rated restaurant (cha-ching). 
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Hoping for a speedy recovery for your mother!

I will be attending my buddies annual cornhole and horseshoe tournament. I’m bringing a pork butt off the egg, and have been asked to cook a few slabs of ribs in his Traegar. He never uses it, how hard can it be?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hope its not the hip. Very not good.

You will need to dig into the possible causes. Could be nothing, just a mis-step. But prepare anyway to avert more of the same. House remodeling. Close attention to side effects from any doses she might be getting.

At least the view is pretty nice. :s
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Hope she gets well soon and get's outta there soon!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Thank you all for the well wishes for my Mom.  I don't want to talk depressing medical chit here.  So who's doing something fun?  Like I said, I have to experience the weekend vicariously. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hoping the best for your mother.....speedy recovery. You are a good son....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Wishing for a speedy recovery.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Best wishes for your Mother's recovery.  She can do this.  Stay positive.  
    Now for the weekend: I have invested in the 144th Kentucky Derby Saturday; I expect no return.  Also cranking up a first-time upside down (the chix that is) chix cook in honor of LS early tomorrow and sorting out a few shots of tequila for Cinco De Mayo.  (I am moving into uncharted fuel load territory combining brown and clear water).  Figure with the storm clouds out there that will be all I can manage.  Neighborhood derby party in the PM.  
    Sunday another LS themed cook that involves care and feeding of the extended family early PM.  Hopefully I will have returned to the launch pad to make that happen reasonably close to schedule.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone  Best wishes and prayers for your Mom.  We are taking turns sitting with my MIL.  Hospice has been called in and time is short.  She put up a very courageous fight for years. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers to your mom
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Fred, hope everything works out for the best. Tomorrow is a bunch of stuff around the house, cleanup basement, garage, etc. Then heading over to friends place to hangout in the evening and I'll probably end up commandeering one of his eggs and cooking something. Sunday is my second spawn's 14th birthday and we're having family over for pizza, mac n' cheese, and burgers, his request. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    DMW said:
    Fred, hope everything works out for the best. Tomorrow is a bunch of stuff around the house, cleanup basement, garage, etc. Then heading over to friends place to hangout in the evening and I'll probably end up commandeering one of his eggs and cooking something. Sunday is my second spawn's 14th birthday and we're having family over for pizza, mac n' cheese, and burgers, his request. 
    Sounds like a great time for the b-day boy.
    Last week at supper my 10 yr old requested a full slab of ribs with candles in it, instead of cake.  This will happen.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good vibes your way Fred. The youngest finished finals at Iowa State and we are having an early Mother’s Day weekend! She’s headed back to her apt and job at John Deere. 
    Congrats my friend!
    Job here in the QC Pete?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Hopin for quick recovery for momma Fred.   

My WE unknown.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Fred, sorry about your Mom. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Wife and I and another couple are going to the Kentucky Derby today.
    This is a bucket list trip. We've been here since Wednesday doing distillery tours.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Picking up our new 8 week old Labradoodle.  Our three year old is excited, looking forward to it.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Good vibes your way Fred. The youngest finished finals at Iowa State and we are having an early Mother’s Day weekend! She’s headed back to her apt and job at John Deere. 
    Congrats my friend!
    Job here in the QC Pete?

Des Moines / Ankeny plant. Bittersweet as she will not return home for the summer, but, is entering young adulthood quite well. I’m very proud. 
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Bayou_Buzzard Posts: 111
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hope all goes well. 

Just put 2 butts on the XL.  Having a group over tonight for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta.  Have a couple steaks marinating for carna asada. Should be a great time. 

From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    We are doing a charity dog walk this morning st the local animal shelter.   Then doing a big cinco de mayo cook on the egg and eating, drinking, relaxing all day. Enjoying the derby as well. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Going to SunTrust tonight to watch Braves-Giants. Should be  good one with these kids the Braves have hitting so well. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @pescadorzih - Great week of weather til today.  Hope you turn a nice profit from your investments.  Lots of good horses running Derby 144.  
    I am partial to Lone Sailor  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    We are doing a charity dog walk this morning st the local animal shelter.   Then doing a big cinco de mayo cook on the egg and eating, drinking, relaxing all day. Enjoying the derby as well. 
    @Hoster05 Walk for Animals?  My wife is taking this knuckle head down there this morning. Always a fun event. I just finished running a brush through him. He needs to look good for his lady friends! ;) Unfortunately I'm stuck at home splitting wood today. You guys will have some great weather for the walk though.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    @bucky925 Prayers for your MIL and family.  The toughest stuff...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hoster05 said:
    @Hoster05 Walk for Animals?  My wife is taking this knuckle head down there this morning. Always a fun event. I just finished running a brush through him. He needs to look good for his lady friends! ;) Unfortunately I'm stuck at home splitting wood today. You guys will have some great weather for the walk though.

Agreed the weather is beautiful.  It’s not far from the house and raises some good money for unfortunate animals so why not.  We are taking our pup Winnie over there. 

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Really sorry to hear about your Mom, Fred.  I hope she recovers quickly, but regardless I’m sure she’s comforted that you’re there.

Busy weekend for us here.  We have a neighborhood yard sale this morning where everyone tries to unload some more of the junk and various sundries they’ve collected over the last year.  I can’t seem to even give away my 20-yr old Kenwood stereo system and Bose (wired) speakers.  

Then later on today we have a derby party at a friend’s house in the neighborhood.  I’m bringing my SV/Egged jerk chicken wings and a bottle of Angel’s Envy.  What could possibly go wrong?  

Tomorrow is my youngest daughter’s birthday party.  Friend party in the morning, where our house will be invaded by about a dozen seven year old girls.  With the solid hangover I’m set to have, that will be a blast for sure.  Then she has her family party at night where my folks will come over and we’ll all be eating pancakes because that is what the birthday girl wants.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike