Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*OT LASIK Laser Eye Surgery OT*

ColtsFan
ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
Who's had it? Thoughts, Problems, Opinions. . .

Tired of dry contacts from staring at computer monitors all day and eyeglasses crimp my style

Thanks in advance
~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• nate1152
    nate1152 Posts: 20
    I haven't personally had Lasik but a few friends have and it's done wonders for their golf games. Plus, we don't have to help my buddy find his ball when he loses one of his contacts during the round. None have had any issues and from what I understand, the technology is advanced now to the point where it's mostly done by a computer. If I needed it, I would have it done. 
    Minneapolis, MN

"90% of life is showing up. The other 50% is style." - Me, after a long night of drinking.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Had it 20 years ago when I was in my mid-30's.  Just started needing readers a couple years ago.

Absolutely life changing.

Your mileage may vary.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The technology today is excellent.  I know many who've had it and as @Spaightlabs said, "life changing".  If you have significant dry eyes, you may not be a candidate.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I don't even like rubbing my own eyes. Ain't no way that I'm letting that happen. If I ever need to glasses will work just fine for me. But my wife is thinking about getting it done. We just had a guy here at work get it done and he said its like night and day.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Had it done almost 20 years ago...zero regrets. Have noticed as I am almost 50 I may need reading glasses in the future, but I am not there yet. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Best money I’ve ever spent. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Had my eyes done when I turned 50 (now 67).  Having been very near sighted with huge astigmatism, the Lasix took my vision to 20-15!  I still see pretty well at distance but have now moved to "driving glasses" for night and readers for, well, reading.

Depending on your age I would plan on some type of "touch up" after 15 or so years.

As an additional comment, I chose to go with both eyes focused the same for distance.  They can make one eye near and one eye far.  In the demo of what that would look like pre-procedure, I found that the one near and one far affected my depth perception.  As an avid motorcycle rider, this was not acceptable to me.  After the procedure, I wore readers for close up work but took them off for all other tasks.

Good luck...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• ColtsFan
    Photo Egg said:
    Everyone raves about lasik. Just like every eye doctor I have seen for the last 15 years talks it up but they ALL still wore eyeglasses and NONE will opt for the surgery. What's up Doc?
    My eye Dr. has had the procedure. He's the one that suggested that I look into it....although not the best business model on his end ;)

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I had one eye done twice and it greatly improved the vision but I still need glasses for day to day stuff and readers for the close computer and paperwork. So it can greatly improve vision but you still may need glasses for some things. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • I did it 10 years ago. Best decision I have ever made. 

I needed glasses by 3rd grade. Did the contact thing by middle school. Waited until well after college to do lasik. It was an absolute game changer. 

In and out the OR in less than 15 minutes. I hate touching my eyes but I would do it every morning when I woke up if it meant I could see like I can now. 

I remember I went hunting the week after I had it done. I spent the entire time just looking around and going, "oh hey look at that. OH LOOK AT THAT! OH HELL I CAN SEE EVERYTHING!!" 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I had it done when I turned 40.  By 46 I was back wearing specs full time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Had it 15 years ago and highly recommend it!
    St. Mary's, GA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    There are some things that if you do too often, you'll go blind.

At least that's what the nuns said.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Had it done summer of 2000 in Toronto.  I was 20/650 and improved to 20/15 within a few weeks.  Only bad part, since I was young, my eyes were not growing so I regressed a little.....just barely need contacts now, but still correctable to 20/15 (almost 20/10 sometimes.)

Only advice, if you're under 21-22, wait a few years unless you really need it.  They told me that, but I was too scared of getting my glasses knocked off my face in the helicopter due to a bird strike or something else.  I couldn't see anything without them, and only corrected to 20/20-20/25.  Much safer to just get it done and get glasses later if needed.  After the surgery, I could spot power lines, birds, and obstructions further than anyone else......still can.

My wife had it done about two years ago.  Make sure you have something to cover all the light when you leave.  It sucks the first 12 hrs.  After that, only driving at night is really bad for the first month or two.

• ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    I had it done in 2003 and just needed glasses for reading within the last year.  15 years
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    I had it done around 5 years ago at age 33.  My story is very similar to @Killit_and_Grillit.  It's the best thing ever.  I will likely still need reading glasses someday but the doc said this will postpone that a bit.  I definitely used the re-wetting drops a lot for the first few months after the procedure cause your eyes will feel dry, especially mornings and evenings.  But that tapered off to where I quit using them completely after maybe 6 months or so.  Good luck!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • bgebrent
    Old info but historically there’s a 25% regression rate that requires “touch up”treatment.  It’s a great procedure.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I did it - no regerts.  After turning about 40 or so I did need to start using readers.  Use these now and love them - Clic magnetic readers. 

Signal Mountain, TN
  • ColtsFan
    Thanks for the info! I'm 38 and been wearing contacts for 20 years. Sounds like I should start checking out places that do it. A buddy of mine bought a Groupon (no sheett) for a bogo. I rode him hard for being so damn tight especially when it came to his eyes. Lol

• bgebrent
    ColtsFan said:
    Thanks for the info! I'm 38 and been wearing contacts for 20 years. Sounds like I should start checking out places that do it. A buddy of mine bought a Groupon (no sheett) for a bogo. I rode him hard for being so damn tight especially when it came to his eyes. Lol
    Do your research and no groupons!  Ask your eye doctor who he/she recommends and why.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Yes, almost 20 years ago, great decision. But don’t watch a preview surgery Luke I did!! 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited May 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bad-idea-jeans/n9937
    Stillwater, MN
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    I'm in a similar boat..unfortunately my doc says I'm in contacts glasses permanently... my left eye has never corrected to a 20/20..wasn't diagnosed properly as a kid ...and she said they could probably get both eyes better , however if something didn't heal correctly with my right eye I'm screwed permanently...
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    ColtsFan said:
    Who's had it? Thoughts, Problems, Opinions. . .

Tired of dry contacts from staring at computer monitors all day and eyeglasses crimp my style

Thanks in advance
    Huge fan!  

My only complaint is that the procedure is only semi-permanent.  I had it about 9 years ago and my vision is “slipping”.  It’s gone from 20/20 to about 20/25.  

My doc offers free touch-ups.  I would recommend asking about this service 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Best money you’ll spend. I was halfway to legally blind when I had it done two years ago. Immediately after the procedure they had me sit up in the chair and read the clock across the wall, I could make out the time on the clock 15’ already.  Went home took a nap and by the end of that day was walking outside already.  

A lot of places offer touchups now as a warranty but I will causing you have to have the correct thickness of cornea to get the touch ups.  If you don’t there is another LASIK type called PRK they may be able to perform but that comes with longer recovery time.  Or as in some people I know, they aren’t able to do the touch ups and use cheaters instead.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Another positive experience here. Got mono vision 22 years ago after wearing contacts for 20+ years.  I have had my distance eye touched up twice since but don’t need readers and wear a pair of glass at night when I drive to bump up my reading eye 
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    About 15 years ago for me.  Unlike @The_Stache , I tried the "near-eye, far-eye" setup, and haven't really been happy with it, especially now that I've had to go to readers.  I'd recommend staying "symmetrical".  

One issue that I had, and got fixed, hasn't been mentioned so I'll tell a quick story.  I was warned that my eyes would feel dry for a few weeks and was given eyedrops, no problem.  But, I wasn't able to wean myself off the drops, the eyes were always dry and itchy.  My eye doctor then recommended trying... acupuncture!   :s
    I was very hesitant, but then when the Dr. said my Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal would cover it, I thought, why not?  (I'll try anything, once, but a tarantula burger).  I had to strip down to my shorts and lay on a table.  Needles were inserted in a bunch of odd spots (lots on the ears, one in each cheekbone, various spots on the chest, arms and legs, and quite a few again on the feet).  Electrical wires were then attached to each needle, then the doc turned on a machine and told me I'd feel a "twitch" at each point, every few seconds or so, and this would go on for 10 minutes; he then dimmed the lights and left.  
    The twitches soon became bumps, then Throbs, especially the two on my cheekbones, got painful right towards the end.  He finally came back in and pulled everything out.  Then he told me the ancient chinese would twist the needles at intervals, before electricity, and that the effect would last anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months, then I'd have to come in and do it again.  I wasn't too happy about that.  
    Had a migraine that evening (those cheekbone needles, yowch!) but in 3 or 4 days, I didn't need eyedrops anymore.  What's even cooler, I never did again, never had to go back for further treatments!  So, I'd recommend this route if you need it.  And I'm now a believer in acupuncture, as long as it doesn't involve cheekbones anymore.     

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bgebrent
    When you do monovision, works for some, you loose some depth perception.  I’d never do it.  Monovision gives you both near and far vision.  But with that price.  If you’re younger and you get full bilateral correction, when you hit your early forties you’ll need reading glasses for near vision (presbyopia).  I’d choose that.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Done 02-01-1999.  Went from 20:1300 to 20:20.  Would do it again in a minute.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)