Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*OT LASIK Laser Eye Surgery OT*

Options
2»

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I had it 20 years ago can still see perfect at a distance but old age is working on my near vision. I can honestly say I would do it again. Life is too short to put up with glasses. I wear the things now but just for up close I'm not restricted on CDL after all these years. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Had it 16 years ago. Really glad.  I opted for my dominant eye fixed for distance and my other eye for reading. I did have issues with driving at night and the "starburst" that appears around others' headlights in head-on traffic. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i test employees yearly with jeager charts and color contrast. only one here with lasik and he moved from jaeger 3 with corrective lenses to jeager 1 without after the surgery.  he did the 1 eye near sight, 1 eye farsight route. jaeger 7 is small newspaper print for comparison, jaeger 1 is tiny.  i lose color vision after a day in the sun, been wearing sunglasses since i was maybe 4, never cheap sunglasses.  other than that, glad i dont need glasses.  scratched a pair up on the boat once, had to get help getting back up the channel, all the marker buoys were black/grey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Had an ulcer in my eye as a kid, the Dr said if the scar from that was 0.5 mm in another direction I wouldn’t have ever seen 20/20 again.  That alone scared the crap out of me.

My uncle had lasic done over 20 years ago, the procedure was not as perfected as today (Ian told anyway) and his eyes are butchered.  Lots of driving at night issues, still wears glasses etc.  He swore the procedure off.

You only get one set of eyes (I have a bad astigmatism as well) just a tiny error can make a permanent impact .  I will stick to my stick glasses.
  • marainwa
    marainwa Posts: 19
    Options
    Had it done just over a year ago.  I’m in my mid 30’s and had terrrible vision (the kind where I wouldn’t dare get up out of bed without glasses.). One of the best decisions I’ve made. Within a day, I was (and still am) 20/15 vision.  Since then, the only side effects have been mildly dry eyes when I wake up.  Typically I put an eye drop in each eye and go about my day.  Definitely happy with the choice.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I just had the procedure last Friday.  Here I am with no glasses or contacts.  I've worn them for 25 yrs.  My prescription was -7.5...... Basically blind.  I'm here with better than 20/20 vision now.  I'm not going to lie or sugar coat it.  The procedure sucks.  It doesn't hurt, it's awkward.  You're witness to it.  24 hrs later I was driving, working, enjoying normal life.  It's a price to pay, but only for an hour.  It's good man.  All good
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have been considering this myself, as I just received my first pair of glasses as a result of a mild-ish astigmatism. 

Two questions:
    i) I’ve heard that laser eye surgery often results in a significant impairment of night vision. True?
    ii) What is the expected longevity of the results? Sounds like mileage may vary, with many of you who have undergone the procedure referring to free fixes. 
  • randerson1126
    randerson1126 Posts: 75
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Had it done about 3-4 years ago. I’m 35 now. Would do it again right now and pay twice as much. Dealt with a little dry eye and “halo” effects for about 2-3 months after but could see clearly during the day nearly immediately and drove at night about two days later. Halo effects subside pretty quickly as your brain gets used to seeing them normally. 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Mid 30s, had lasik 10 years ago, best money ever spent. Like anything, you get what you pay for. Make sure you choose a reputable doctor that specializes in lasik.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Just curious how much this cost?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    kdink said:
    Just curious how much this cost?
    Cost me 1800 per eye after insurance. I think it was 2200 or 2400 without.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Have been considering this myself, as I just received my first pair of glasses as a result of a mild-ish astigmatism. 

Two questions:
    i) I’ve heard that laser eye surgery often results in a significant impairment of night vision. True?
    ii) What is the expected longevity of the results? Sounds like mileage may vary, with many of you who have undergone the procedure referring to free fixes. 
    I may be an outlier, but I have had zero issues with the procedure. Never had the starburst/halo issues and no problems with night vision. 

All people will have degradation of vision with age, whether or not they have surgery. The surgery only corrects the shape of your eye lenses, not the ciliary muscles that allow accommodation(focusing). As we age, the muscles weaken, leading to hyperopia. There is a reason your arms stops being long enough to read something once you hit a certain age.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options

Two questions:
    I may be an outlier, but I have had zero issues with the procedure. Never had the starburst/halo issues and no problems with night vision. 

All people will have degradation of vision with age, whether or not they have surgery. The surgery only corrects the shape of your eye lenses, not the ciliary muscles that allow accommodation(focusing). As we age, the muscles weaken, leading to hyperopia. There is a reason your arms stops being long enough to read something once you hit a certain age.
    Exactly. I had Lasik in 2001. The surgeon told me that whatever happens with your eyes moving forward will happen regardless of the surgery. All he was doing was reshaping existing equipment. My vision has started to get bad over the past couple months. I knew my day was coming but I wish it were 10 years from now. I don’t regret it at all and would do it again if mine can be redone. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    I did it probably 15 years ago and would do it again in a second.  Run don't walk to the chair.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    I am seriously considering the procedure. Anything last minute I should be thinking about?
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma and I bought each other standard Lasik in 2005 as a present for each other.  It lasted about 5 years for me.  I'm back in specs.  Wilma still enjoys great vision.  I guess Mom was right.  Go figure.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I put my glasses on when I'm sitting at the desk for more than three hours or so at a stint. I have 20:15 vision, but it stresses some muscles or something if stressed too long. Having lasers shot in my eyes for this? No.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    I wore glasses for myopia from like 7th grade until I had Lasik right after it became available. I think I paid about $6000 back then (~20+ years ago). Now that I'm ready to retire I find that I need glasses for distance clarity (I'm about -0.5 now).