Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GET OFF MY LAWN somewhat OT

Options
neighbor woman keeps planting things in my yard, i think maybe 20 trees this last fall, three others  two years  ago dead center in the yard, dead smack in the grassy lawn.  have a 4 foot deep x 30 foot daffillilley border garden planted maybe 30 years ago just coming up, she roped it off for more plantings :o  put up a cage all around it this weekend with a sign that says flower garden,  next weekend should be interesting.  its right where i egg, how could i not notice new trees in the lawn. looks like a new fence is going up, hate fences
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    neighbor woman keeps planting things in my yard, i think maybe 20 trees this last fall, three others  two years  ago dead center in the yard, dead smack in the grassy lawn.  have a 4 foot deep x 30 foot daffillilley border garden planted maybe 30 years ago just coming up, she roped it off for more plantings :o  put up a cage all around it this weekend with a sign that says flower garden,  next weekend should be interesting.  its right where i egg, how could i not notice new trees in the lawn. looks like a new fence is going up, hate fences

Where are the pictures? How can we adequately beat this woman up on an Internet site if we don't have pictures?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Sounds like some confusion on property lines ... Need to be careful,  isn't there some squatters law or something?   If they been using it for years, they own it, probably just a Canadian thing.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Sounds like some confusion on property lines ... Need to be careful,  isn't there some squatters law or something?   If they been using it for years, they own it, probably just a Canadian thing.
    first time was dead center of my lawn, she moved it, this last fall it was on my side of an old fallen down fence and a row of rocks marking the boarder, i moved it to the fire pit, now the flower garden is trampled on, its just blowing my mind why she does this, its a midweek sneak attack when im there. they dont use the place weekends. i need to catch the husband when he is in hiding
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2018
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    first time was dead center of my lawn, she moved it, this last fall it was on my side of an old fallen down fence and a row of rocks marking the boarder, i moved it to the fire pit, now the flower garden is trampled on, its just blowing my mind why she does this, its a midweek sneak attack when im there. they dont use the place weekends. i need to catch the husband when he is in hiding
    possible mental issues?
    Not trying to be funny.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    You should shut that sh!t down right away.  Prior to fence (which I also hate) perhaps a few No Trespassing signs staked into the ground.  Also a trail cam to catch her/them in action. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    EggNorth said:
    possible mental issues?
    Not trying to be funny.
    she doesnt seem to be that way but who knows nowadays, it seems rampent
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Plant some poison ivy in her yard.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    You should shut that sh!t down right away.  Prior to fence (which I also hate) perhaps a few No Trespassing signs staked into the ground.  Also a trail cam to catch her/them in action. 
     trespassing signs in maine is a mortal sin, im thinking just a short fence easily walked around. hoping a few short glasses and some crown with the husband and the problem gets solved, might do the short fence anyways
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dig everything up and put it on her doorstep. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Wait, what?  She's literally coming into the middle of your yard and planting things?  I cannot comprehend what is going on in her mind.  I hope you've spoken to her.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Dig everything up and put it on her doorstep. 
    her husband might just tell me to do that =)  not married and surrounded with woman problems this spring, how is this possible =) anybody else see an uptick this year or is it just me :o
    fukahwee maine

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Burn it to the ground. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Simple Fix. Call in an airstrike on her house. Haha, j/k. I used to have a similar issue with my neighbor except not quite as extreme. Mine would mow 2-3ft into my lawn. I wouldn't normally care, except this jack wagon liked to scalp his grass every time. Whereas I maintained the proper height. Also he apparently drank every time he mowed because it looked like Ray Charles was mowing his lawn. There wasn't a straight line anywhere. Finally I had enough to the point where I brought the dang building plans from when my house was built and a tape measure and showed him where my property line ends. I politely told him to stay in his yard as he likes to mow at a different height than me. Well that didn't work out. He proceeded to give me attitude at which point I again politely told him that if he didn't stay in his yard. I would gladly pour weed killer over all of his grass and cut his crape myrtles down with a hatchet. That seemed to work because he stopped after that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    It's an easy fix. Park your boat and trailer in their yard in the off season. If they get pissed just plant a couple flowers on it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    She probably thinks she's doing the whole neighborhood a solid by trying to beautify (or at least hide) his place. I mean, have you seen his Egg? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you don't want a fence then I would start with just getting a survey and mark your property. I would have made her remove the first tree. I like "woods", but I hate trees in the middle of the grass. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I had an encroaching neighbor at my first house in Greensboro. I ran a string the length of the property line (about 350’ of open grass/field) and sprayed a line of undiluted Roundup. Of course, the grass died within a few hours. Picture a 8” wide x 350’ brown line in the middle of manicured grass.  The neighbor stopped me later. I was expecting a pissing match but instead he was apologizing to me for killing the grass and saying how he was so sorry etc. I smiled and told him everything would be ok. Never had an issue again. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Wait, what?  She's literally coming into the middle of your yard and planting things?  I cannot comprehend what is going on in her mind.  I hope you've spoken to her.
    first time 30 foot strip of grass dead center, she moved those.  now its in the flower garden and sneaking them on my side of my hedge made up of rose of sharon, burning bush, blueberries and beach roses, and some other things i have no idea what they are.  maybe she doesnt like to hear FOX NEWS all day =)=)=)
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Is she trying to block her view of your nasty egg? Lol
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    EggNorth said:
    possible mental issues?
    Not trying to be funny.
    With her, or with fish?  =)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    EggNorth said:
    possible mental issues?
    Not trying to be funny.
    last thing she wants to see is MY mental issues =)
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    EggNorth said:
    possible mental issues?
    Not trying to be funny.
    last thing she wants to see is MY mental issues =)
    That means she has a list, and your mental issues are on it  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Man, there sure are a lot of a-holes on here.  Thanks for the ideas in case I need them for future use.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Good fences make good neighbors. Electric works well, reasonably priced and easy to install.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    The day I moved into a house the new neighbor came up and asked if he could make a bed partly in my yard but mostly in his.  This was a tiny section of my yard in a pie shaped section by my driveway- <10 sf of my grass.  I said whatever.

He proceeds to really put in a nice bed- and though we have both moved its still there partly.  Why partly....

2 years later he comes to me and says- Hey I want to upgrade the bed and expand it.   I likely told him its your bed do what you want, He proceeds to do his upgrade and then hands me a bill for half of it.  His wife gets word of it and gives me a check to then pay him back.

Next year he asks to do more and  I tell him I have a new baby and nows not a great time.  I come home later to a pitchfork stuck in lawn at street at the property line and a rope running to the fence 80' into the yard.  He then proceeded to pull every plant and removed the edging out of "my half" of his bed.

So to pay him back for all that GD drama- his entire yard was Bent Grass and he had the special mower to keep his yard like a putting green.  So on the other side of my driveway I had St Augustine- every time I cut the yard and edged I would dump my sweep up trimmings into my part of the yard by my driveway.   Eventually the St Augustine grew into his yard....

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What the !!!???

1st. Legalities. Where I live, allowing someone use of property for some time (don't know how many years) grants an easement. Usually easement problems are for access, driving to a garage, or simple parking. Don't know if yard modifications count, but I'd be concerned that your property is being claimed.

If there is a legal claim from doing this, rip the trees out. Also, w. the plants you can't identify, are you sure they aren't listed as invasive?

2nd. Hopefully something reasonable like crown w. the husband will help sort things out. This is remarkably weird.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    This is the world in 2018. Everyone's a movie star, thinks that everything is theirs and they get their way 100% of the time and by god don't you even think about getting in the camera shot. My guess is that she thinks that's her yard. Which house is newer yours or hers? If hers is older my guess is that before your house was built she planted stuff there thinking she could. In todays society of mememememe sometimes you gotta fight fire with a freakin nuke. Don't be a jerk about it but tell her to her face 1 time that you aren't gonna put up with her bull and get a confirmation she understands you. If she does it again kill the part of the plants that are invading your yard. You have every right to do that. That or you are right and she "hates hearing Foxnews"

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Call the HOA.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:
    What the !!!???

1st. Legalities. Where I live, allowing someone use of property for some time (don't know how many years) grants an easement. Usually easement problems are for access, driving to a garage, or simple parking. Don't know if yard modifications count, but I'd be concerned that your property is being claimed.

If there is a legal claim from doing this, rip the trees out. Also, w. the plants you can't identify, are you sure they aren't listed as invasive?

2nd. Hopefully something reasonable like crown w. the husband will help sort things out. This is remarkably weird.
    their house is only accessible through my yard and i maintain that except for plowing, they dont use the property in the winter.  another property i have has a dirt road through it, i need to send the neighbor a certified letter every 5 years stating they can access it but its mine whenever i want to use it, just had a slight problem with them putting a for sale sign on my property to sell their house but thats been straightened out.

the woman i bought the place from had a sister with a nursery, lots of plants ive never seen, theres a small bush that flowers like a rose that grows and looks like apples, even taste like apple. theres a 30 foot red azalea tree, thats not from around here

water fronts up here are weird, i find people in the yard all the time. ill be working on the boat in the driveway and a group will walk down the driveway, past me and the boat to the water.  can i help you =) who are you
    fukahwee maine