Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any Stihl BR600 Magnum backpack owners here? :OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I know this sounds a bit out of season, but my 13 year old BR400 has caused me fits last Fall and today not wanting to start. In the past a swift kick after a streak of cuss words would get it going. Once started it ran fine. I'm debating whether to risk a stroke with it or buy a BR600 which is the biggest beast Stihl makes. Just that $800 price tag chokes me a bit.  
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Your old one probably needs a carb rebuild. Should run $100-150. 
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    I bought one in 2012 and have not had any trouble starting or running. I do use a non-ethanol fuel mixture in it since there is a fuel station near me that sells non-ethanol fuel.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I'd agree that an overhaul would probably fix your problem for much less than new cost.

Are you sure about that $800 price? Looks to me they are "only" $500.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    While I was out of town last week, my wife ordered and installed a new carb on a Honda commercial mower.  Youtube is your friend.
  • RRP
    I was thinking along that line as well. Just weighing the pros and cons. At my age I doubt I will get 13 years out of a new BR600. :s But with my heavily wooded lot the yard men charged me $100 for the final cleaning when I was laid up in the hospital 2 years ago. So if I hired it done then with needing at least 4 clean ups then I'm half way to a new 600 in just one year! 

Think I'll call my dealer and get a quote and what all that entails so I thank you.
  • RRP

nolan8v said:
    I bought one in 2012 and have not had any trouble starting or running. I do use a non-ethanol fuel mixture in it since there is a fuel station near me that sells non-ethanol fuel.
    I have done the very same for 6 or 7 years now for my blowers, mowers, and chain saw. I have read that it isn't necessary with new engines these days, but why take a chance! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I think the older Stihl stuff is better made. I’d keep rebuilding it as long as parts are available. I’ve got an 18 year old Echo Powerhead that I need to do some carb work on. I expect to get another 20 years out of it.

Buying quality only stings once. 
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    edited April 2018
    I had br500 years ago. Great once fuel cap was replaced due to ethanol. Have fixed many friends equipment with a simple carb change myself. Carbs are usually cheaper than the associated labor. Sthil blowers have lasted me years and years. 
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• RRP
    I think the older Stihl stuff is better made. I’d keep rebuilding it as long as parts are available. I’ve got an 18 year old Echo Powerhead that I need to do some carb work on. I expect to get another 20 years out of it.

Buying quality only stings once. 
    I bought my Stihl 400 after going through a few crappy home center name brands. As for the older models being made better...I agree...I bought a Montgomery Ward chain saw in 1968. I have no clue who actually made it, but that sucker ran like a sewing machine until 1982! By then the piston got p*ssed and it wasn't worth fixing even if one could be found!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    One of the great things about Stihl is their demand that their dealers are well trained in service. The only place to buy Stihl is at an authorized dealer. Take it in and ask them to take a look at it and give you an estimate. At 13 years you definitely got your money’s worth. I’m also sure you took good care of it. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    The difference between the br400 and br600 is nothing short of crazy! The newer blower has waaaay more cfm and that equals less time blowing.  The new Stihl blower is also what they call a 4mix or something, it has valves, I think there is a break in period and valve adjustment and your good to go. I think it also has a spring assist starter that will help with compression strokes.
     I owned one and used it commercially for 3 years and sold it before it gave me problems, but it was used almost everyday and heavily so it should last you 6!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Possumtrot
    Best thing for us is that we sold and downsized (sort of) to a much smaller lot and have someone else to do the yard and landscape (minimal). Drinking Costco Zinfandel ang cooking meatloaf on the egg.  Life is good
    LBGE, Joe,Jr

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I must agree with @alaskanassasin
    Being an arborist, I use a blower daily for copious amounts of sawdust and I must say the newer Stihl blowers are well worth the money. They are a4mix engine with a ton of torque and way more CFM. The difference is huge. I believe the most current model they are making now is the br700. Most dealers are pretty good. Ask them to fire one up in the parking lot... You won't be disappointed. Maybe even post your old one online and recoop some of the cost of the new one. 
    That's my 2¢
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    "Once started it runs fine."
    Spray Starting Fluid in the air intake. Crank once. It will run like a scared rabbit.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    YukonRon said:
    "Once started it runs fine."
    Spray Starting Fluid in the air intake. Crank once. It will run like a scared rabbit.
    Trust me I did that today twice today.
  • alaskanassasin
    Loved that starter assist, I could reach around and start it without taking it off my back!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Loved that starter assist, I could reach around and start it without taking it off my back!
    Interesting, but doesn't someone have to refuel it while on your back making that easy re-start necessary?
  • alaskanassasin
    Customers come out and talk to you was probably the biggest reason to shut
    down, or phone calls
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    I wouldn’t trust anyone with a stinky gas can to not spill it on me!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Thanks all of you! I just ordered a new carburetor from Amazon for a mere $17. It has all the pieces and parts. I figured I'll try that first since at that price and free labor (mine) why not!
  • Possumtrot
    Make sure you check the fuel filter at end of pickup line.  Sometimes they look ok but are actually clogged.  Might want to put new fuel lines on it as well.  Most of the time I had success with just replacing all three (carb, lines and pickup filter).  Just follow manual to set carb low and high speed screws.  Doesn't take long at all.  Good luck
    LBGE, Joe,Jr

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    RRP said:
    Thanks all of you! I just ordered a new carburetor from Amazon for a mere $17. It has all the pieces and parts. I figured I'll try that first since at that price and free labor (mine) why not!
    thats what ive been finding, all the carbs and parts are generic and cheap if you dont go thru a dealer. if you find a name and number on the carb instead of a stihl part number you can save a bundle. ethynol gas eats the rubber lines, its worth replacing those, they gum up, sometimes the liner delaminates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    Thanks all of you! I just ordered a new carburetor from Amazon for a mere $17. It has all the pieces and parts. I figured I'll try that first since at that price and free labor (mine) why not!s
    thats what ive been finding, all the carbs and parts are generic and cheap if you dont go thru a dealer. if you find a name and number on the carb instead of a stihl part number you can save a bundle. ethynol gas eats the rubber lines, its worth replacing those, they gum up, sometimes the liner delaminates
    That's what this is - a generic for a multitude of Stihl and others, but my model was listed. I just figured when I tear it apart I can tell which new parts are for mine. A buddy of mine who now lives in FL used to repair small engines on the side and he was the one telling me a new carb was the economical way to go and not attempt a pieces and parts rebuild.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Thanks all of you! I just ordered a new carburetor from Amazon for a mere $17. It has all the pieces and parts. I figured I'll try that first since at that price and free labor (mine) why not!s
    That's what this is - a generic for a multitude of Stihl and others, but my model was listed. I just figured when I tear it apart I can tell which new parts are for mine. A buddy of mine who now lives in FL used to repair small engines on the side and he was the one telling me a new carb was the economical way to go and not attempt a pieces and parts rebuild.
    when you get the old one off, take all the numbers off it and or save it for next time.  i bought 3 kits for my finnish ice auger for 5 dollars each, figure i have the kits so it will work as is forever
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Ron, I’ve got the BR600 and it’s a beast! It will blow over potted plants; I even use it to sweep gum balls from sweet gum trees out of the grass. They now also make a BR 700 and 700x. If you’re still not happy after the carb overhaul, pull the trigger. You won’t be disappointed. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Legume said:
    While I was out of town last week, my wife ordered and installed a new carb on a Honda commercial mower.  Youtube is your friend.
    But does she watch baseball with you?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Legume said:
    But does she watch baseball with you?
    Of course @Ozzie_Isaac.  She watches baseball when I’m not home too.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Ron, forgive the hijack my friend. 

Just wanted to drop in and say hello ole buddy. Hope you are doing well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Thanks for the pictures! I kept expecting to see you waving at the camera!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2018
    Ron, look at what I fooled around and stumbled on out here  =)

Only problem is there is nothing but fish out here  :s

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.