Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Rellenos Anyone? Lots of pics

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
My neighbor gave me some fresh pasilla peppers they picked up in San Antonio Friday. SWMBO asked what we could do with them - I said chili rellenos!
My bride wanted more than just cheese stuffed peppers for supper and suggested I make something with more protein. So I put some chicken tenders and a pile of goodness (tomatoes, green chili, some salsa, and Mexican spices) in my Chinese slow cooker. The oven was still about 275 degrees from the last cook - so I slid it in the oven and let it ride for about three hours. 

This is what I had when I pulled it from the oven. 

Now I fired up the oven again. I just wanted to harvest coals for the hearth. I wanted to char some veggies for my tomato sauce. So I threw some tomato and onion on some coals caveman style. 

When these were ready they went into my antique blender...

Once that was all pulverized well, I put it in a pot to simmer for a while...

In the middle of all that I roasted the poblanos also. 

Then I took an intermission and helped the wife putting in a flower bed. 

At this point most of the hard work is done for supper. Rice gets cooked in the donabe in the oven. And I reheat the sacuce in a clay pot. Chicken gets reheated in a clay pot also. (No pics of those - I got busy)

Enough of the preliminaries... Time to go to work. 
I just have to stuff, batter, and fry the peppers. Easy peasy. 

Went old school and whipped the egg whites by hand. That’s fun for me. 

Heated oil in my wok on the mini max. 

My wife is happy the rock work is done...

And... The finished plate. 

If you stayed this long - thanks for looking. This was tasty and a fun cook. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh yeah, love me some chili rellenos!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dang - that is awesome.  You set the bar high.  And now I'm starving 1 hour after I ate dinner.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Wowza!!  What a great meal!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Just Wow!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I stand in awe of your setup and skills.
    A beautiful setups and great looking cook.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @GregW Thanks for the kind words. We’ve put a lot of time and sweat into our kitchen. As for the skills - I assure you that’s over rated. This meal took some time, but it was actually pretty simple. A few Youtube videos and that was all it took. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I am not worthy !  Nice is not even appropriate for this!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @bucky925 Thank you sir. It was a fun day. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You’re putting on a clinic every time you cook.  Great stuff.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    You’re putting on a clinic every time you cook.  Great stuff.
    This is what we do when the kids leave home, lol.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    All I can say is WOW!
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We need a “super like “button or something. 

Besides your gorgeous kitchen , can you get me a  fence built like that? Seems like the crappiest fences in all of TX are built here in Houston. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding man!  And extra credit for helping with the flower garden.  Beautiful cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Yeah, the fence is nice. My neighbor built it. We used 4” square tubing for posts and 2”x4” tubing for the rails. That was his idea instead of “C” purlin so wasps other critters wouldn’t make a home in the fence. The post holes are deep and concrete into rock - this thing’s not going anywhere. It was the most $$ thing we built,  ht is doeas look nice. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent My wife has always wanted a nice yard. We’re finally getting around to trying to make that happen. I’m just the manual labor - she’s the brains. Wait..... I think you get acused of being in a similar situation, right? :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Outstanding brother.... awesome meal.... if I ever get to Texas.......
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Strong work, brother!!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Another inspirational cook and banquet right there.  You have definitely sorted out how to leverage the use of the coals/heat from one option to fire up another.  Congratulations is not strong enough.  Great execution.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Outstanding brother.... awesome meal.... if I ever get to Texas.......
    You just drop by and we’ll share a meal. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Another inspirational cook and banquet right there.  You have definitely sorted out how to leverage the use of the coals/heat from one option to fire up another.  Congratulations is not strong enough.  Great execution.  
    My wife and I were talking yesterday.  What makes this fun is forgetting all the “rules” we have been taught about cooking. Folks made good food in history with less than I have. It’s a hoot for me to learn to cook as they might have. Sometimes I start one of the eggs by scooping coals from the oven and putting them on the lump. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. The weather was very nice yesterday and we had a fun day working and cooking outdoors. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Every time I see you with a new thread posted, it feels like Christmas.  Amazing cook and pics as always!  It’s 9am here and I’m drooling.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Great day and thread!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Typical SciAggie, dropping the mic and reminding everyone as to why he’s the best. Another knock outta the park. Now I want Mexican food and it’s 9:45 in the morning and I just ate.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    By the way my post was not meant to be rude. I’m completely jealous and wish I could have half the outdoor kitchen and cooking skills of SciAggie.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 Lol, it’s all good. Thanks for the comment about the kitchen; we are happy with it. Best investment we have made to our house in terms of use and satisfaction per $$ spent. As far as cooking skills, This is Boy Scout camfire cooking - it just looks complicated. (*interesting note* I have a 1950’s Boy Scout Handbook from my brother that shows how to cook a steak caveman style - it’s nothing new)
    Also, ask @lousubcap and some of the others - most of my so called “skills” have developed from hanging around here and practicing what I see other folks doing.
    Where are you in the fine state of Texas?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I live in the Dallas Area. I still want to try caveman style but can’t pyschologically get myself to cook directly on coals. Maybe I’ll suck it up and try it.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Good God Man! incredible cook.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy crap. I just over cooked 5 chicken breasts by 40 degrees so feeling pretty inferior at the moment. Damn dishwasher cooks fast! This looks like i want to eat at your house. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX